• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles

chowchow23

Baron-Cutest. Pickles. Ever!

My live in nanny (ie my dad) has been out of town for the last couple of months, severely limiting my late night Korean food intake. One of my favorite Korean restaurants gives you a dish of sweet daikon pickles when you sit down, and I've been craving them like mad, even though in general I can happily lead an otherwise pickle-free existence. I figured they couldn't be too hard to make. And I was right. Happy day! Now I can have them whenever I want! I'm even contemplating growing some daikon in the garden next summer for the true DIY experience.

daikon pickle.jpg

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

One of my favorite Korean restaurants gives you a dish of sweet daikon pickles when you sit down, and I figured they couldn't be too hard to make. And I was right. Happy day!

How did you pickled them? I usually do a Vietnamese style water pickle with daikon and some carrot that is about 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water with a touch of salt and sugar. That is one funky smelling jar when you open it.

It was water, sugar, and rice wine vinegar. The daikon cubes were salted and let sit overnight and then rinsed prior to adding them to the pickling liquid. They're sweet, but not as sweet as the ones at the restaurant.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Mexican sour gherkins

Not exactly a cucumber, though the grape-sized fruit can be treated as such. They were grown from seed in an equally diminutive garden plot and recently produced an astonishing amount of fruit. Pickled with white wine vinegar brine supplemented with aromatics. Higher seed & water to flesh ratio than I care for, though they mingle well with olives, raisins and toasted almonds.

Planet of the grapes

5932945274_26782580e5.jpg

Bumper to bumper crop

6086668088_d49edd6829.jpg

Itty bitty gherkin commission

5932332597_ba232b3ba3.jpg

Mucho melons

6086092713_90c38cfa28.jpg

Those are the cutest pickles I've ever seen. Awesome.

• 3 years later...

I had to look that up, but nope. Its long, the length of a standard sushi roll and can be even longer.

Describe it please, colour, texture, taste?

The pickled gourd I have eaten is a light tan, slightly crunchy and has a delicate, sweetish and savory flavour. It comes in long, thin strips.

• 4 years later...