• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Retail Sources for Chilies in Manhattan

jturn00

I would like to make a mole poblano recipe over the weekend but I am having some difficulty find some of the chiles here in NY. (I am on the upper west side).

The recipe calls for whole Mulato, ancho, pasilla chiles. I think I found the ancho chiles but the pasilla and mulato chiles are giving me some problems. Any ideas where I can find these? Do people call the mulato and pasilla chiles by other names?

Note I work by Grand Central Terminal and I think the Penzey's store might carry some chiles but not the mulato and pasilla.

Any ideas without going to mail order?

Jeff

I would like to make a mole poblano recipe over the weekend but I am having some difficulty find some of the chiles here in NY.  (I am on the upper west side).

The recipe calls for whole Mulato, ancho, pasilla chiles.  I think I found the ancho chiles but the pasilla and mulato chiles are giving me some problems.  Any ideas where I can find these?  Do people call the mulato and pasilla chiles by other names?

Note I work by Grand Central Terminal and I think the Penzey's store might carry some chiles but not the mulato and pasilla.

Any ideas without going to mail order?

Jeff

You should check out Adriana's Caravan in the Grand Central Market. They carry both whole dried mulato and pasilla according to their website. They're on the south side next to Oren's Coffee and across from the butcher. You can call ahead to see if they have either in stock (212 972-8804).

I believe Adriana's is no longer at GCT, sadly.

Great source for chiles in NYC is Kitchen/Market at 218 8th Ave at 24th St, 888-HOT-4433; kitchenmarket.com

They will surely have mulatos and pasillas. Great take-out food too! Good luck!

If you hunt ariund Fairway, they have various dried chilli's for sale in th epriduce section, tied around the support poles. Might have what you want, close to home.

Thanks for all the places. I didn't try whole foods yet and I will be near trader joes this weekend. (I can't wait to see the new store!).

Todd36,

I was recently in Fairway but it was so crowded that there wasn't room to hunt around with out getting run over by a shopping cart. I will go back and check when it is less crowded.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Jeff

... Do people call the mulato and pasilla chiles by other names?

Chances are that you'll find the pasillas under the name Chile Negro- same thing.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I think these are staples in a Mexican Kitchen.. which makes them easier to find.. I have seen them all over the place from Mexican Groceries, obviously, to Bodegas that sell newspapers and cigarettes. They are normally hanging on a clip strip in a polybagged with a header.. If worse comes to worse I can give you a couple of addresses up by me in the 90's on Amsterdam.. But places like La Rosita on west 47th or the Taco Place that starts with the T- definately has them.. And then if there is a Spanish Butcher by you they would have them.. Good luck, tell us what you come up with..

I think these are staples in a Mexican Kitchen.. which makes them easier to find.. I have seen them all over the place from Mexican Groceries, obviously, to Bodegas that sell newspapers and cigarettes. They are normally hanging on a clip strip in a polybagged with a header..  If worse comes to worse I can give you a couple of addresses up by me in the 90's on Amsterdam..  But places like La Rosita on west 47th or the Taco Place that starts with the T- definately has them..  And then if there is a Spanish Butcher by you they would have them.. Good luck, tell us what you come up with..

Tehuitzingo

695 10th Ave, New York 10036

Btwn 47th & 48th St

Phone: 212-397-5956

Looks like they stock much more than the avg bodega but then again I've only partaken in the tacos.

(Chicken was the best, pig's ear the worst)

That wasn't chicken

I think these are staples in a Mexican Kitchen.. which makes them easier to find.. I have seen them all over the place from Mexican Groceries, obviously, to Bodegas that sell newspapers and cigarettes. They are normally hanging on a clip strip in a polybagged with a header..   If worse comes to worse I can give you a couple of addresses up by me in the 90's on Amsterdam..  But places like La Rosita on west 47th or the Taco Place that starts with the T- definately has them..  And then if there is a Spanish Butcher by you they would have them.. Good luck, tell us what you come up with..

Tehuitzingo

695 10th Ave, New York 10036

Btwn 47th & 48th St

Phone: 212-397-5956

Looks like they stock much more than the avg bodega but then again I've only partaken in the tacos.

Amen. Pig's ear taco from there was one of the worst things I've eaten in the city. The sangre (goat tripe) taco, on the other hand, was good.

Thanks for all the places.  I didn't try whole foods yet and I will be near trader joes this weekend.  (I can't wait to see the new store!).

If you will be near the Trader Joes it should be fun to check out, but I don't think I've seen much variety in dried chiles at TJ's out here anyway.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I realize I'm getting dangerously close to being off-topic, but was pig's ear bad because you don't like pig's ear? Or was it bad pig's ear?

Yes, it's off-topic but a good question Mr.Lee. I didn't like the texture. - Hard flat pieces of cartilage embedded in the meat (well, the ear). Couldn't believe they were edible. (who knew it was going to be like....well, a real ear?!) I asked the nice Mexican women in the kitchen (in the worst broken Spanish) and they said "si, manga todo" or something like that. I still couldn't do it. The meat (ear) wasn't spoiled/bad or funky tasting if that's what your asking.

I also enjoyed the tripe and tongue (childs play compared to above) in addition to the chicken

:raz:

That wasn't chicken

Continuing this off-topic sub-thread, I don't like Chinese pig's ear preparations, either. (Chinese and Mexican are all I've had.) I just don't like pig's ears, I guess (I was shocked to find there's a part of the pig I don't like). The reason I don't like them is the same as EMW's: the texture. And you know, I don't know a single European-descended American who likes them. This might just be a texture many/most European-Americans can't stomach. I'm going to put them in the "You Had To Be Born In ________ To Like ________" thread on the "General" board.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)