• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chufi takes a roadtrip in BC

Chufi

Welcome Chufi! I've spent considerable time travelling in the areas you are planning and have a a few options/suggestions:

a) If nothing was booked, other than the Seattle arrival, I would spend 2 days in Seattle. Pikes Market although 'touristy' can be fun watching the fish mongers. There is a lot of restaurants around Pioneer Square. Day 3: If you can get out of the Vancouver booking, then I would head over to Bainbridge Is. and catch the small ferry to Port Townsend. Spend overnight there. There are lots of cool B&Bs and restaurants. Day 4: Next morning take the ferry to Widbey Island and drive to Langley. It is a very small town but has a few nice restaurants, B&Bs and interesting shops. Day 5: The next day, stop off and see La Connor for lunch then drive into Vancouver . On a budget, I would stay at the Parkhill Hotel near Davie Street. Downtown is a 10 minute walk. The small (6 person ferries) are fun to take to Granville Island. Day 6 &7: In the market there are lots of kiosks for snacks/lunch. Hiking: try Lighthouse park or Grouse mtn. Raincity grill and Wild Rice are good. Day 8: Then catch the ferry to Nanaimo from Horseshoe bay. Drive north along the water to Comox. Atlas Cafe is good in Courtenay. Overnight in Comox at a B&B. Saturday is a cool farmer's market in Courtenay. Try local cheese from Natural Pastures. Day 9: Catch the ferry over to Powell River. Drive south and catch ferry to Egmont. Stay overnight at Halfmoon bay or Sechelt. Day 10: Catch earliest ferry to Horseshoe bay. Hwy. 1 to Hope (XA:TEM is a first nations site if of interest), Coquihalla route (toll) to Kelowna cutoff. Drive to Kelowna. This would be a 10 hour travelling day. to be continued...

Day 11,12,13: Lots of cool wineries in the Okanagan Valley. Day 14: Leaving Osoyoos, travel to Wintrop. Cool town. Day 15: Drive south through Twisp to Chelan/Wenatchee. There are lots of small lake-side resorts along here. Day 16: head back to Seattle area by either taking 2 through Leavenworth (touristy!) or I-90 to I-5 to Tacoma and then to Olympia. Day 17/18 Hiking in Olympic National Park. Day 19: back to Seattle before heading home.

If you can't break the Vancouver booking, then: Day 3,4,5 in Vancouver. Day 6: To Victoria. Monroes book store is one of my favourite places to spend a few hours. Day 7: Aerie resort. They have a program called "gourmet trail' which is highly rated (hike in the morning with chef/guide identifying edible mushrooms. Back to the resort for preparing mushrooms for lunch. Beautiful view. Day 8: ferry to San Juan Islands. Stay in Roche Harbour or Friday Harbour. Day 9: Ferry to Anacortes. Stay on Whidbey Island in Langley. Day 10: Ferry to Port Townsend. Day 11 and 12: Spend days hiking in Olympic National Park. Day 13: Drive to Olympia. Day 14: overnight in La Connor. Day 15: Drive to Winthrop. Day 16: Drive to Osoyoos/Okanagan Valley. Day 17 & 18: visiting vineries. Day 19: Drive back to Manning Park. Day 20: hike in manning park. Drive through Fraser Valley, exit to the U.S. through Sumas to Seattle. Overnight. Whew! What a trip! Or you could spend 3 weeks travelling the Pacific North West and plan Winthrop and the Okanagan for another trip. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

We're leaving tomorrow. I have so many recommendations in my travel book, I know we won't be able to visit all these places, but it has been so much fun preparing for this trip!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks!

• 4 weeks later...