• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chufi takes a roadtrip in BC

Chufi

On September 4th, my husband and I will arrive in Seattle to start a 3-week roadtrip in British Columbia & the Pacific Northwest. Nothing is set but our plane tickets, the first couple of nights in Vancouver, and the last couple of nights on Bainbridge Island. But, even though we want to be open for anything, I have spent the last 6 months planning this trip, reading about the area, doing my homework on eGullet, and dreaming about this vacation.. so yes, we do have an itninerary mapped out.

here's the plan sofar:

arrive in Seattle, pick up the car, and drive to Vancouver.

Spend a couple of days in Vancouver. I am slowly eating my way through all the Vancouver threads! One thing I know is that we want to have a really good Chinese meal, because we don't have good Chinese in Amsterdam.

from Vancouver, go west. Hope, Kelowna, the Okanagan, Penticton, Naramata, Osoyoos. We'll have a couple of days to explore.

From there, go south. Now we are entering the US again so I'll go and put up another thread in the PNW forum here. We'll end up on the Olympic Peninsula, and from there I want to go to Vancouver Island. Probably as a daytrip to Victoria and leave the car behind in Port Angeles.

So. I know there is a ton of info on eGullet already and believe me, I have read a lot!

Still I'd love to hear some (new) recommendations. We like to eat well while we travel, but, if possible, on a bit of a budget. Not that we can't have the occasional splurge but it has to be occasional. Even at home we aren't very glamorous people :laugh: and I doubt we will bring our high heels and ties respectively, so nothing too fancy. Also, any info on foodrelated activities.. that one special winery.. cheese farm.. market.. something so special that it could make us change our travelplans.. etc that you can think of, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Have a great trip! In the Okanagan set up a tour (by appointment only) at Poplar Grove Winery to taste their small releases of premium B.C. wine and wonderful cheeses.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Chufi,

I must recommend the Naramata Heritage Inn. It was one of my favourite memories from our trip to the Okanagan a few summers ago. We had a wonderful meal at the Cobblestone Wine Bar. Financially, it's a little more feasible than the Inn's dining room. Down the road from the Inn (towards Penticton) is both Joie Cooking School and Elephant Island Winery.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wonderful that you are coming! Chilliwack is about 60 miles east of Vancouver and you have to come through here on your way to Hope. I have a couple of suggestions for you...

Chilliwack itself isn't a hotbed of culinary activity, but if you are a little homesick and would like to meet some local dutch folks, please stop at:

Hofstedes Country Barn

(604) 824-1192

45796 Luckakuck Way

Chilliwack, BC V2R 5P9

They have a wonderful produce market and a small restaurant featuring homemade food and dutch products, not that you want to buy things you can buy at home, but there you go.

If you are interested in a little bit of a side trip to the Agassiz/Harrison Hot Springs area, I recommend a visit to:

The Farm House Natural Cheese

http://www.farmhousecheeses.com/

5634 McCallum Road

Agassiz, B.C. V0M 1A1

(604) 796-8741

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

You might want to check out www.circlefarmtour.com for when you pass through the Fraser Valley. It contains many of the areas highlights.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by bigdaddy (log)

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Klary,

A couple thought on your itinerary ...

If I were doing the trip (which I have in bits and pieces) ...

Start in Seattle/Bainbridge Island

Then visit the Olympic Penninsula

From there, take the ferry to Victoria / Vancouver Island

A single day in Victoria is a bit of a waste IMO. If you can't spend at least a couple days there I'd give it a miss. If you do the 1-day visit, you'll see the Inner Harbour only, and that would give you the "touristy" look at Victoria only. 3 days would be best as it would allow you a trek up Island aways. Ann_T's food blog (running as we speak) will give you a good look at what you can see up that way. Or you can spend a day over on Salt Spring Island, which is an easy ferry ride from Schwartz Bay (where the ferry lands in Victoria).

Leave Vancouver Island from Schwartz Bay. Active Pass is not to be missed.

Visit Vancouver.

I'll buy your first glass of BC Pinot.

Go to the Okanagan, visiting the Fraser Valley on your way up

From the Okanagan you can return via the US, visiting some of the places you mentioned in Washington. Or you can return through the Similkameen (Keremeos, etc ... fruit 'til you can't eat fruit any more!) and enter the US through Sumas (near Abbotsford in the Fraser Valley).

Take your time. There's a lot of driving in that trip, and with this itinerary I tried to help save your energy for eating. :laugh:

A.

well if you're down town you're more than welcome to have dinner at "le crocodile". i think (or rather hope) it's still popular with the egullet crowd. it's a fine dining joint but the boss doesn't discriminate against certain attire. wear whatever you want.

bork bork bork

If/when you are in Oliver I recommend a lunch on the deck of the Burrowing Owl Winery. Other vineyard eating opportunities include: Quail's Gate and Cedar Creek. And all of these have wine that should be tried. While at Cedar Creek ask for directions to Carmelis cheese.

In Vancouver, a great food experience at a reasonable cost is Go Fish at the entrance to Granville Island. Then head into the Island and go to Edible British Columbia's retail outlet to get a sense of the food bounty in BC.

And if you take Daddy A up on his offer of a glass of Pinot Noir - make him bring you to our garden and we will make sure you get more than a single glass.

Cheers,

Karole

From there, take the ferry to Victoria / Vancouver Island

A single day in Victoria is a bit of a waste IMO.  If you can't spend at least a couple days there I'd give it a miss.  If you do the 1-day visit, you'll see the Inner Harbour only, and that would give you the "touristy" look at Victoria only. 

A waste? Au contraire Mr. Daddy-A. :biggrin:

I could put together a great one day itinerary that revolves around downtown and the Saanich Peninsula.

A waste?  Au contraire Mr. Daddy-A. :biggrin:

I could put together a great one day itinerary that revolves around downtown and the Saanich Peninsula.

could we do that without a car? I'm thinking of leaving the car behind in Port Angeles, seems rather expensive to bring it over for just one or two days.

could we do that without a car? I'm thinking of leaving the car behind in Port Angeles, seems rather expensive to bring it over for just one or two days.

Why not. I live downtown and get around quite well, partaking in many actiivities by foot or bicycle. In a day.

What day of the week are you thinking because key places are closed Sunday and Monday over here.

Why not. I live downtown and get around quite well, partaking in many actiivities by foot or bicycle. In a day.

What day of the week are you thinking because key places are closed Sunday and Monday over here.

Tuesday or Wednesday, probably.

Okay, Victoria is back on the travel plan :biggrin:

I think that would depend if Shelora were driving! :laugh:

I don't know what Shelora had in mind for you (well, actually I have an idea) but I think doing it sans car would be tough.

Don't get me wrong about Victoria. I think it's great. But what you'll see in the Inner Harbour (downtown Victoria) features primarily touristy venues. With Shelora's guidance I'm sure you'll avoid that. At the very least you'll eat well!

A.

When shelora mentioned a one-day itinerary I was just wondering if Dennis and I could happily spend a day in Victoria without a car...

After all, we are tourists.. it's not so bad doing the touristy thing every now and then. :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Some confusion here.. I really wasn't suggesting that Shelora takes us on a tour.. although her advice about Victoria is ofcourse very much appreciated! But when she mentioned a one-day itinerary I was just wondering if Dennis and I could happily spend a day in Victoria without a car...

After all, we are tourists.. it's not so bad doing the touristy thing every now and then.  :smile:

Klary,

Sorry 'bout that. It was just my jovial way of saying that based on an educated guess on where Shelora would suggest you visit, a lot of that would require a car.

You'll love Vancouver Island, with or without a car. It's just that without a car you'll be spending most (if not all) time in Victoria. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just that there's so much more to see on Vancouver Island, especially from a fodd-lover's point of view. Perhaps another trip?

A.

Some confusion here.. I really wasn't suggesting that Shelora takes us on a tour.. although her advice about Victoria is ofcourse very much appreciated! But when she mentioned a one-day itinerary I was just wondering if Dennis and I could happily spend a day in Victoria without a car...

After all, we are tourists.. it's not so bad doing the touristy thing every now and then.  :smile:

Klary,

Sorry 'bout that. It was just my jovial way of saying that based on an educated guess on where Shelora would suggest you visit, a lot of that would require a car.

You'll love Vancouver Island, with or without a car. It's just that without a car you'll be spending most (if not all) time in Victoria. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just that there's so much more to see on Vancouver Island, especially from a fodd-lover's point of view. Perhaps another trip?

A.

and I'll keep on adding to the confusion by editing my own posts :laugh:

yes, another trip, definitely. I love travel planning but it is also very difficult, deciding where to go and where not to go! There's only so much you can do in 3 weeks :sad:

Thanks everybody for thinking along with me. It is a great help!

Klary,

A.

and I'll keep on adding to the confusion by editing my own posts :laugh:

yes, another trip, definitely. I love travel planning but it is also very difficult, deciding where to go and where not to go! There's only so much you can do in 3 weeks :sad:

Thanks everybody for thinking along with me. It is a great help!

I, however, would greatly appreciate this one-day itinerary Shelora! :smile:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

]

I think that would depend if Shelora were driving! :laugh:

Depending on how much you weigh, I can strap one of you on the back on my bike... oh, never mind.

Unlike Vancouver, you can do a lot here on foot.

However, what exactly would you like to do? Are your interests mostly food - what kind - wine, brews, art, coffee, what? How much time will you have?

I trust you will be taking the first ferry over, which means you will arrive here around 10:30 am. from Port Angleles (PA, we call it). When does the last one go back that day?

By the way, have you seen the new issue of Saveur yet? Wonderful teaser on Vancouver Island.

And did I mention not to come Sunday or Monday?

Hope to hear from you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Chufi:

It's great to hear that you are coming for a visit. You won’t need to worry about high heels and ties around this part of the world, we are not very formal.

It has been a couple of years since I've done a road trip to the Okanagan so I don't have any really recent recommendations for you. Two restaurants that I enjoyed on my last trip include Fresco and the Terrace Restaurant at Mission Hill , both are in or near Kelowna. In Summerland I liked The Vanilla Pod. Check out the Best of the Okanagan thread which has more recommendations from people who have visited more recently and frequently than I.

The Naramata Bench area just north of Penticton on the east side of Okanagan Lake is a great area to explore and is compact enough that you can visit lots of wineries easily in a day. Some that are especially worth visiting from my experience are La Frenz, Kettle Valley, and Poplar Grove. Poplar Grove also makes excellent cheese. If you are interested in fruit wines, Elephant Island is worth visiting. Many of the wineries have outdoor patio restaurants with great views and inexpensive food. Also there’s a farmer’s market in Penticton on Saturdays and in Naramata on Wednesdays.

When you drive between Vancouver and the Okanagan if you take Highway 3 - the old, slow scenic route - you will pass through Keremos, the self-described fruit stand capital of Canada. If you plan to stay somewhere where there are cooking facilities, this is a great opportunity to stock up on fruits and vegetables. There’s lots of fruit grown in the Okanagan valley so this is not your only chance to buy fresh picked fruit and vegetables, but it is a very convenient place to stop.

I usually stock up on groceries in Vancouver before leaving on a road trip and picnic along the way. A nice stop in the Fraser Valley is Bridal Veil Falls between Chilliwack and Hope. Also if you take Highway 3, Manning Park has good places to stop.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Anne

Unlike Vancouver, you can do a lot here on foot.

However, what exactly would you like to do? Are your interests mostly food - what kind - wine, brews, art, coffee, what?  How much time will you have?

I trust  you will be taking the first ferry over, which means you will arrive here around 10:30 am. from Port Angleles (PA, we call it). When does the last one go back that day? 

By the way, have you seen the new issue of Saveur yet? Wonderful teaser on Vancouver Island.

And did I mention not to come Sunday or Monday?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Shelora,

I looked at the schedule of the Victoria Express and it arrives from PA in Victoria around 9:15. The last one back that day leaces from Victoria at 6:15 pm. I guess that means we won't have time for dinner in Victoria, so maybe we should have a big lunch!

My interest is inndeed mostly food, not just eating it but also foodshops, kitchenware, (second)hand bookshops (for cookbooks). I love coffee and husband loves tea.. Husband likes bookshops and (used) cd shops. We both love to visit museums. We also love just to walk around or sit in some coffeehouse with a book. We're not really active sightsee-ers :smile: For me, just 'being' someplace else than home is much more important than running around and trying to fit in all the sights.

If not visiting on a Sunday or Monday is that important, we will try to come to Victoria on either Saturday 16 or Tuesday 19 September, and keep the Sunday and Monday for hikes in Olympic Natl. park.

Any tips on how to make the most of our 1 day in Victoria would be much appreciated!

When you drive between Vancouver and the Okanagan if you take Highway 3 - the old, slow scenic route - you will pass through Keremos, the self-described fruit stand capital of Canada.  If you plan to stay somewhere where there are cooking facilities, this is a great opportunity to stock up on fruits and vegetables.  There’s lots of fruit grown in the Okanagan valley so this is not your only chance to buy fresh picked fruit and vegetables, but it is a very convenient place to stop.

Barolo, thanks for the info. The old slow scenic route sounds just like what we prefer when on holiday!

My file with tips and recommendations is getting very long and this sure is the best researched vacation I ever took!