• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A defenite way to keep up the spirit

Andre

What better way is there to elevate the moral of those under stress than fine wine?

Santenay La Comme Premier Cru Louis Jadot 1998.

Following a number of disapointments of fine Bourgogne reds with aging potential I had little expectations for the following :

Light red shifting into Burgundy color with good depth.

A very dry earthy nose with strong hints of leather and mild spice, grntle yet complex.

Very smooth on the entry to the mouth colliding with a fairly harsh acidity that tends to mellow down after several minutes.

A medium to full bodied smooth and gentle wine in need of a long time to open up [ better balance and some fruity aspects began to surface nearly an hour after opening.

Drink now after allowing a proper time to breathe or allow to develop another 5 years from now.

Sirens drive you thinking and making better decisions: what am I am going to do with the special New-Zealand Tom bottle I got stored for special occasion? – drink it !

Cabernet Merlot Tom, Montana, New-Zealand 1996.

It is very difficult to make a better first impression than the "Tom" did.

Dark intense black cherry color with a considerable depth.

An intense a bit slow to open nose with a distinctive French oak influence carefully blended with balanced fruit driven nose, mild spice and herbs.

Amazingly smooth on the entry showing one of the best possible new world balance one can aspire to. An impressive texture that lacks the complex acidity structure and multi tannin layers of a Grand Cru to be considered a classic Bordeaux.

An impressive use of oak well balanced with a concentrated fruity body and the right balance of tannins.

Again this wine makes a wonderful first impression and is amongst the best New-Zealand reds I had tasted.

Tasted July 17th 2006

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.