• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Woodlands

Wilbur

Going to the Paul Simon Concert this weekend at The Woodlands. Need recommendations for sustenance...no BBQ, please...of the NON-chain variety: Mexican, Asian, Italian...we're from Louisiana, so we do seafood at home. Thanks!

Perry's Grill and Steakhouse Brio Grill

so these aren't chains and they are good? Reasonable prices?

My mom lives in the Woodlands and I go crazy when I visit--it seems every place is a restaurant that you could be anywhere in the US.

Zoe

Perry's Grill and Steakhouse Brio Grill

so these aren't chains and they are good? Reasonable prices?

My mom lives in the Woodlands and I go crazy when I visit--it seems every place is a restaurant that you could be anywhere in the US.

Zoe

check out for yourself perrysrestaurants.com and Brioitalian.com - brio is a chain but not huge

check out for yourself perrysrestaurants.com and Brioitalian.com - brio is a chain but not huge

thanks, I will on my next visit.

And I've been to Amerigo's and didn't think it was too wonderful for the price.

Zoe

i'd skip Perry's. I think it is the most overpriced avg food joint in Houston. The pork chop which on occassion can be very good was a steal last year at $19 but the price was raised to $25 ( I think) recently. Steaks are in the $25-$40 range and they are cert angus beef I believe. The one in Sugar Land is beautiful, it might be the nicest steakhouse in houston, but the food just doesn't match IMO.

I think the food available might be a little dissapointing so I would focus on having a good time. Guadalhara has good tex/mex although i haven't been in years. I would say Babins could be decent but it would probably not be as good as what you get in La.

Would the Tommy Bahama place be fun before a concert? Ive never been.

Going to the Paul Simon Concert this weekend at The Woodlands. Need recommendations for sustenance...no BBQ, please...of the NON-chain variety: Mexican, Asian, Italian...we're from Louisiana, so we do seafood at home. Thanks!

The absolutly best food for the money up here is a Mexican restaurant named "Rancheros" which is on FM 2978 between Woodlands Parkway and FM 1488. (Turn north at intersection of Woodlands Pkwy and #2978; two miles north on the left.)

Ploy's Thai restaurant is at the intersection of Research Forest and Six Pines. It is very close to the Pavillion and is the best Asian restaurant within 30 miles of here.

Decent steaks can be found up here but they are expensive.

After literally dozens of visits to Rancheros and Ploy's, I would guarantee you will be pleased (unless you order pad thai--my wife thinks their version is great, but I must have heat--superb curries!)

Zoe, by the way, tell your mom to try whichever of these two that you skip this time. She will thank you big time! :smile:

Markinhouston said

Zoe, by the way, tell your mom to try whichever of these two that you skip this time. She will thank you big time!

unfortunately my Mom's fav restaurant is Johnny Rocket !!??!!

But I will remember your picks--I think my sister and I got takeout from that Thai restaurant--is it very pretty? I remember banquettes with bronze silk-like vinyl padding that i thought was pretty snazzy. And the food WAS good.

Zoe

Markinhouston said
Zoe, by the way, tell your mom to try whichever of these two that you skip this time. She will thank you big time!

unfortunately my Mom's fav restaurant is Johnny Rocket !!??!!

But I will remember your picks--I think my sister and I got takeout from that Thai restaurant--is it very pretty? I remember banquettes with bronze silk-like vinyl padding that i thought was pretty snazzy. And the food WAS good.

Zoe

That is the one, Zoe! I am partial to their curries, but I have never had a clinker yet in any category. If you have an opportunity, their lunch menu offers with each entree their salad bar with two soups, spring rolls and fresh summer rolls as well as four or five choices among vegetarian sushis. Quite a bargain!

Mark, I, too love curries--I ordered Pad Thai before which is also a standard fav for me and i liked it--that lunch buffet gives me something to look forward to the next time I visit (you know, families---arrrgggh)

Zoe