• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding Yeast in Montreal

does anyone know of any sources for fresh yeast for baking purposes in the montreal area?

thanx in advance.

EDIT: that should have gone into the where can i find thread, sorry!

Edited by ohev'ochel (log)

a very good quality FRESH YEAST is avaliabe at bakery on the corner of mont royal and laval.......

thanks for that info, i will check it out.

i believe it's usually only available through some bakeries (read: industry) and not commercially over the counters -- not that i have found yet.

a very good quality FRESH YEAST is avaliabe at bakery on the corner of mont royal and laval.......

i believe it's usually only available through some bakeries (read: industry) and not commercially over the counters -- not that i have found yet.

ohev'ochel--

they also have 1 ounce cakes of fresh yeast at frenco vrac, a health food store on st-laurent, east side, just south of duluth. it's in the fridge to the back right, by the marzipan (which is kinda dumb, as it looks almost exactly like marzipan... :biggrin: )

if you find out what day they cut it up and put it out, yuo can get it that day, but they date it, and i have never had a problem with their freshness.

also, just curious, what does your screen name mean?

good luck! :smile:

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

ohev'ochel--

they also have 1 ounce cakes of fresh yeast at frenco vrac, a health food store on st-laurent, east side, just south of duluth. it's in the fridge to the back right, by the marzipan (which is kinda dumb, as it looks almost exactly like marzipan... :biggrin: )

if you find out what day they cut it up and put it out, yuo can get it that day, but they date it, and i have never had a problem with their freshness.

gus

Gus!

Many thanks for that piece of information; I would never have thought to look at Frenco's for it. I will give them a call to find out when they put out the next batch for sale. I have been looking around for it for a while but never very 'seriously'.

As for the meaning of my screen name, it's Hebrew for "loves food" [ohev = loves and ochel (as in the bach, loch sound) = food]. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone knows where can I find diastatic malt in Montreal?

There's a homebrewing supply store at St-Dominique and Villeneuve. I haven't been there in a long time, but they should have a wide selection of malts in various states. Fresh yeasts, too, though probably none you'd want to use for baking.

Choppe A Barrock [this is the spelling in Canada 411; other sources say Chope, which makes more sense]

514-282-9553

4709 St Dominique,

Montréal, QC H2T 1T7

Edited by Mr. Fagioli (log)

• 6 months later...

ohev'ochel--

gus

Gus!

Many thanks for that piece of information; I would never have thought to look at Frenco's for it. I will give them a call to find out when they put out the next batch for sale. I have been looking around for it for a while but never very 'seriously'.

As for the meaning of my screen name, it's Hebrew for "loves food" [ohev = loves and ochel (as in the bach, loch sound) = food]. :laugh:

ohev'ochel--

gus

Gus!

How about fresh yeast in the west island in montreal? I've been looking and have not been lucky so far.

Ives

Edited by maxanon (log)