• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pawana

Jason Perlow

Pawana, a new Thai restaurant, has opened in what was the failed Thai Chef space in Englewood in the Shop Rite plaza.

Thai Chef in my opinion was an overrated and expensive restaurant for what I felt was poor service and for food I could get better at Wondees or Bangkok Garden in Hackensack. While the new owner, Pawana, is related to the Thai Chef company (she's a cousin), the prices here are scaled back (comparable to Wondee's or Saigon R.) the service was very good, and the food is excellent -- in fact I'd say it will give both Wondee's and Bangkok Garden a run for the money.

gallery_2_3273_60865.jpg

This is a "Money Bags" fried appetizer, which is filled with crab, pork, corn, and a number of other things. They're real good.

gallery_2_3273_12000.jpg

Money Bags Closeup

gallery_2_3273_6708.jpg

These are Curry Puffs. Also excellent.

gallery_2_3273_19144.jpg

The restaruant has not yet been fully decorated, its only been open 4 days. Also be advised to bring cash, their credit card machine isn't running yet.

gallery_2_3273_20149.jpg

This is the Pawana salad, which we thought was a great bargain ($6) topped with crabmeat and had nice fresh fruit in it. Perfect for the summer.

gallery_2_3273_30577.jpg

Pad Kee Maow Noodles (although, it was actually called something else in English on the menu) which were a nice balance of spicy and savory in a chile/basil/soy sauce. Very Good.

gallery_2_3273_21245.jpg

Thai Iced tea which I told her was a bit too sweet, she'll probably ratchet it down a notch.

gallery_2_3273_48565.jpg

This is an Issan Style Pork Larb, using chopped grilled pork (as opposed to ground) which was my favorite dish we ordered. By the way, it's not on the current menu which is temporary, but its in the chef's repertoire. They also have a Naem Sod on the menu as well. She can also do the larb with Beef and Chicken.

gallery_2_3273_15494.jpg

This is the dish turned around so you can see the nice plating.

Total Bill, $36.

I'm REALLY looking forward to trying some of their other dishes, such as their curries and soups.

BYOB, with Shop Rite Liquors only 50 feet away from the store.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This is an Issan Style Pork Larb, using chopped grilled pork (as opposed to ground) which was my favorite dish we ordered.  By the way, it's not on the current menu which is temporary, but its in the chef's repertoire.

should we be looking forward to seeing more northern thai-style dishes at this place, a la Las Vegas's Lotus of Siam? that right there would make this place a destination.

edit: scratch that. Issan larb is the style that we see at most places. by the looks of it i thought it was more northern style, which, now that i think about it, looks quite different.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'm worried that opening a Thai restaurant in the same spot that another was unsuccessful at might hurt Pawana. I had given Thai Chef a couple tries and the service was too horrendous to return (one of four orders not input, pre-ordered the chocolate souffle, that was forgotten too, disappearing waitstaff just when you need more water, etc.). The service last night was excellent. Of course, the place was mostly empty, we arrived around 9 PM on a Tuesday. I hope they keep up the level of service when busier.

The food was excellent, I loved that salad and they have a long list of salads to try. I was tempted by the duck salad, always one of my favorite Thai dishes, but I wasn't too hungry (just coming from an office event that Jason couldn't attend). Next time, we'll order more items to try. It's a convenient location with easy parking (just don't park in the 30 minute spots).

They have a long dessert list, including that chocolate Grand Marnier souffle for which Thai Chef was famous, so it would be a good place to have dessert after a night at the John Harms Theatre. Pawana (the owner), made a point to mention that if you just want to come in an order a couple of appetizers that's fine too. She's worried about having opened earlier than she wanted to (but has to pay the rent!), so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Pawana (the restaurant) progresses.

I'm worried that opening a Thai restaurant in the same spot that another was unsuccessful at might hurt Pawana. I had given Thai Chef a couple tries and the service was too horrendous to return (one of four orders not input, pre-ordered the chocolate souffle, that was forgotten too, disappearing waitstaff just when you need more water, etc.). The service last night was excellent. Of course, the place was mostly empty, we arrived around 9 PM on a Tuesday. I hope they keep up the level of service when busier.

The food was excellent, I loved that salad and they have a long list of salads to try. I was tempted by the duck salad, always one of my favorite Thai dishes, but I wasn't too hungry (just coming from an office event that Jason couldn't attend). Next time, we'll order more items to try. It's a convenient location with easy parking (just don't park in the 30 minute spots).

They have a long dessert list, including that chocolate Grand Marnier souffle for which Thai Chef was famous, so it would be a good place to have dessert after a night at the John Harms Theatre. Pawana (the owner), made a point to mention that if you just want to come in an order a couple of appetizers that's fine too. She's worried about having opened earlier than she wanted to (but has to pay the rent!), so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Pawana (the restaurant) progresses.

could it be that there are too many restaurants in Englewood making competition hard.

In Emerson, Pimaan does very well and is really the only place in that area.

Yes, this is encouraging news. Thai Chef was a wacky place. The location is good, and the space was ravishing, I hope they don't change the interior at all, that was the best part of the place. The outdoor space is quite nice as well, and if the food and service turn out to be good this should be an excellent place to dine at in this area. Easy parking too.

Yes, this is encouraging news.  Thai Chef was a wacky place.  The location is good, and the space was ravishing, I hope they don't change the interior at all, that was the best part of the place.  The outdoor space is quite nice as well, and if the food and service turn out to be good this should be an excellent place to dine at in this area.  Easy parking too.

Location is good for parking but with so many other choices in town can it do well enough especially at such low prices?

We went back for lunch today. More photos:

gallery_2_3273_16602.jpg

gallery_2_3273_22927.jpg

gallery_2_3273_3761.jpg

Karnom Jib Dumplings -- excellent, pork inside with crab on top.

gallery_2_3273_25932.jpg

Shrimp/Banana (actually sweet plantains) Appetizer with Peach Sauce, also very good

gallery_2_3273_6083.jpg

Tom Kha Gai Soup, excellent

gallery_2_3273_12720.jpg

What was pulled out of the Tom Kha Gai soup.... be careful...

gallery_2_3273_27468.jpg

This is a crab pancake another table ordered

gallery_2_3273_6860.jpg

Gang Keow Warn, Green Curry, ordered with beef, very good

gallery_2_3273_67858.jpg

Pad Thai with the "works", excellent

gallery_2_3273_26883.jpg

Duck Salad, also excellent

gallery_2_3273_42508.jpg

Yellow curry, ordered by another table

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

BTW the chef is not from the Thai Chef group... he was formerly of Arun Thai restaurant in Chicago.

JIC you're curious why we went back for lunch the next day... Last night, I was very tempted to order the duck salad, but didn't because I needed something lighter and refreshing, the crab salad was a perfect choice. But, I was thinking about the duck salad when I woke up and told Jason we had to go back for lunch! The duck salad did not disappoint. It was unlike most other Thai duck salads I've had in the past (at Wondee's mostly, and a few others), but was very good, note the slices of green apple, and enoki mushroom garnish. Highly recommended. Now that I've had that fix, we probably won't go back for a week or two, so let us know how you like it when you go.

For those who are spicey-heat sensitive, I wanted to mention that despite pulling out over a dozen chillies (see pic above) from the Tom Kha Gai soup, it was only mild-medium spicy. I'm a wimp and enjoyed it immensely. If you like it hotter, just mush up some of those chillies with your spoon, rather than pulling them out, just beware!