• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any ideas for a cold dessert served in a glass

cakedecorator1968

Hi Everyone!

Have you ever made or eaten a nice summer cool or frozen dessert in a glass- lots of fun things and layers?

I'm thinking og items such as:

Fresh Berries

Mousse/Bavarians

Ice Cream/Sorbet/-Frozen Parfait

Fizzy Soda water with fruit syrups

Panna cotta

Gelee's

Your ideas welcome!

The "Exotic" from Jean Phillipe Maury at the Bellagio in Vegas.

gallery_23736_355_27859.jpg

from the "what's for dessert" thread

Let me say again how awesome that was. Its got me really interested in doing some layered desserts in glasses. An idea I'm pondering right now is layers of pineapple gelee and coconut milk mousse, with lime creme brulee on the bottom.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Dear Patrick,

Please describle what Jean Phillipe Maury's dessert in the glass was like.

The description for this dessert that is given in the JPM thread is coconut mousse, candied pineapple, kalamansi coulis, lime dacquoise, crispy coconut. However, I didn't discern any crispy coconut. I think the 'Exotic' I got was different -- the one in the JPM thread is a molded dessert, not a dessert in a glass.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

This is easy and it makes an unusual and pretty presentation. Make whatever jello or aspic you want. It should be about an inch thick or so. I made some grapefruit stuff with sherry & basil--then I let it set up and cut it out with a star cookie cutter and put the star in a cocktail martini type glass. It's very striking looking. Then plop some mousse on it, like for this, an avocado mousse would be good. Garnish with cantelope sticks shooting up out of the mousse and a candied grapefruit star on top.

But putting the star shaped aspic in the cocktail glass is pretty. Could be the basis for a thousand desserts.

An Austrian EisKaffee is delicious and simple especially in these dog days of summer. Add scoops of vanilla ice cream to a parfait glass, fill with cold strong coffee and top with whpped cream. Garnish with pirouette cookies or other crisp, rolled cookies.

Alternating layers of granita and whipped cream are also very refreshing with fruit or coffee granita

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi Everyone!

Have you ever made or eaten a nice summer cool or frozen dessert in a glass- lots of fun things and layers?

I'm thinking og items such as:

Fresh Berries

Mousse/Bavarians

Ice Cream/Sorbet/-Frozen Parfait

Fizzy Soda water with fruit syrups

Panna cotta

Gelee's

Your ideas welcome!

May be a bit too simple, but you could try the Lemon Brulee recipe that I posted in Recipe Gullet.

You could dress it up by adding kiwi slices at the bottom of the glass, then the mix, then the apricot/peach, more mix, then a berry layer (rasberries would be my choice), more mix and finally the brulee top.

Sorry I don't have a picture, but I think you can visualise the appearance.