• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shipping Wine

djsexyb

i was wondering if anyone has ever shipped wine? to anywhere, within sate, out of state, oout of country? did you declare the contents as wine, or merely breakable, or as an "Olive Oil?" i know with the laws flying around lately, you really shouldnt, but has anybody?

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

i was wondering if anyone has ever shipped wine? to anywhere, within sate, out of state, oout of country? did you declare the contents as wine, or merely breakable, or as an "Olive Oil?" i know with the laws flying around lately, you really shouldnt, but has anybody?

I haven't lately. When I lived in Napa I tried to ship a case of wine to a friend in AZ. I listed the contents as olive oil at the shipping store. The next day they called me to come and get the box as UPS had refused to accept it.

I called a UPS driver who was a good friend and he picked it up with no questions asked.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I've done single bottles (wine and liquor) at the post office with no trouble, simply declaring the contents as liquid (lemonade mix, or somesuch) and fragile. Never tried a case.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

i'm going to call the wine institute,,, will report back.

called. its illegal. so dumb. i guess those pesky drinking age laws get in the way or something :rolleyes:

Edited by dvs (log)

My mother in law gave us a wine of the month thing a couple years back. We got a red and a white each month for several months. Came in a styrofoam package with two bottle sized holes wrapped in a box.

Supposed to be illegal to ship wine to Maryland, like in most states where this is the case, the local distributors have greased the politicians to keep out mail order/internet competition, but we got all those shipments from California no problem. Wish the wine had been better! :hmmm:

At one of my favorite local wine stores (who shall remain nameless!), I had an experience a few years back. A guy come in off the street and asked if they would ship wine for him as a present. They said basically no way Jose, it's illegal and we're shocked, shocked that anyone would even ask! The fellow went on his way. Then the store guy came over to me, well known customer, and said "Dave, we'll ship anything for you. Just don't do it for folks we don't know"

My father in law was dying of cancer last year living in Gloucester, VA. One of the few things he could still enjoy was some Ouzo and the local VA state store often didn't have it. I sent him a care package UPS of 4 different Ouzos from our local places.

Bottom line is if you're discreet, you probably won't have any trouble. Many wineries will ship to you with the caveat that it's at your own risk if it gets caught. When shipping to someone, just make sure you wrap the bottles carefully with bubble wrap or something and pack the box full with newspaper so it isn't obviously bottles rolling around in the box.

A little white lie as to contents and you should be OK. At your own risk, of course!

There are definately ways to do it. It's just complicated because every state has their own set of laws. Back in late 2003 I spent two weeks in California, including a stay in the Wine Country. A local wine store there shipped a whole case back home for me. You could include wines that you bought elsewhere as long as you matched the number with bottles from their store (and they had a very good selection). And I live in Georgia which is one of the worst states for alcohol laws. I don't know for sure, but I assume that is still their policy.

-Greg

Check the state laws. My friend tried sending me some from TX and it was returned today with a some sort of message on the package, no shipping wine. I assume he tried sending it USPS or UPS.

don't disclose actual contents

i have shipped inside and from France

most of the shipping companies have these funny things called x-rays nowadays... the cost to ship something as heavy as wine should make this kind of crap shoot not cost effective.

honestly, i'd call the winery directly and have them ship it for you.

don't disclose actual contents

i have shipped inside and from France

most of the shipping companies have these funny things called x-rays nowadays... the cost to ship something as heavy as wine should make this kind of crap shoot not cost effective.

honestly, i'd call the winery directly and have them ship it for you.

Exactly, my friend who shipped from Texas did not tell them what it was on purpose. I can only assume they scanned it with an x-ray.

When we were in Sonoma in 2000, we were able to get cases into Pennsylvania from wineries, wine stores, and boxes we sent via UPS/Package drops. They came in via UPS, FedEx, DHL, baggage, and common carrier. They all made it intact.

Last year we were traveling up Highway 49 through Amador and tried to get 5-1/2 cases back. Only three cases made it. The rest were confiscated by UPS. Times have gotten harsh. The shippers were threatened with loosing their UPS agreement. Most shippers wouldn’t even look at the cases no matter what you put on it.

It seems that Penna laws are shifting to allow consumers to bring wine in so it seems for me the best way to go.

Edited by marinade (log)

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press