• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini with blossoms attached: Things to do with

Pontormo

I have just half a dozen small zucchini with rather small blossoms attached that I need to cook today before the blossoms lose their freshness.

Elizabeth Schneider provides two suggestions, although I do not own a microwave (yes, that's right), the tool she finds most practical for keeping everything intact.

I have ricotta, I have bread to crumb, herbs, etc. Getting surprisingly sick of anchovies these days, but am open to whatever you've got.

N.B. I conducted several searches before I posted this new thread. Should some of you have links to previous discussions, do share.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

personally, for stuffing, i prefer the male flowers that don't have the fruit attached. it seems by the time the squash is cooked through, the flowers are dead. with the female flowers, i like to chop them, cook them briefly with some long-cooked onions and a little mexican crema and then use them to stuff a quesadilla, with a little jack or something.

herb up that ricotta, stuff it in the flowers, put them in a small gratin dish on top of some tomato sauce, and bake in a hot oven for about 10-15 minutes, just enough to heat it all through. i make this all the time when i get these things, and it's delicious.

If I ever stuff zuc flowers, which I seldom do, I will almost always stuff with a fava bean paste (fava beans, roasted garlic, sauteed onions deglazed with white wine, evoo, and lil bit of lemon juice) sometimes adding some cheese.

Typically we fry some baby shallots and spring garlic in evoo then add herb butter and flowers - deglaze with white wine and fry on high till golden.

Eat as is or puree in to a paste and have on good bread.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Edited to move this to The Heartland - I started looking at the zucchini blossom phots, then on to the others from last year's gathering and forgot I was on the Cooking forum. Sorry. :shock:

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thank you, all. Actually, I've been cooking what Russ refers to as the male flowers, I gather, for quite some time. My preference is for very simple preparations: battered and fried until lightly golden, eaten as is, especially when stuffed, or upon occasion, slipped into a thin sandwich with a slice of ham...maybe a little melted mozzarella, too.

What I was most interested in was the aesthetic virtue of keeping the tiny blossoms attached to the small bodies of the squash. I thought of the possibility of cooking a soupy pilaf with tomatoes in a shallow pan and then nesting the little thingies securely in the middle and covering them with a lid. I may try that some day...basically the same principle as Mr. BJ's gratin which also came to mind.

However, I was craving the crisp batter on the flowers. It had been a year since my last batch. So I found one internet source (Colivita) that suggested slicing the zucchini just to the base of the blossom, then dipping them in the batter...sort of the way small eggplant are split and stuffed in Indian dishes before being stewed in rich sauces.

I tried that. Problem was that the squash really did need at least a bit of a steam bath first (would the blossoms wilt and be impossible to stuff afterwards?). When zucchini is deep-fried for tempera, the batter coats the inner flesh and it softens more than mine did. By the time the flowers were done, the bodies were still rather crisp, the skin slick and batter-free.

P.S. Beautiful plate, Adam. I see there's something more appealing about squash blossoms in eggs than in risotto, at least, in light of my experience of the latter which I found disappointingly bland.