• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Ricotta cheesecake recipe

UnConundrum

I'm looking for a really GREAT ricotta cheese cake recipe. I know the web is full of recipes, and I've tried a few doing everything from tying the ricotta up in cheese cloth to frying the ricotta to reduce the liquid. None have been that really great recipe.

I really value the opinions of members here, and would appreciate any personal favorites you're willing to share.

I'm looking for a really GREAT ricotta cheese cake recipe.  I know the web is full of recipes, and I've tried a few doing everything from tying the ricotta up in cheese cloth to frying the ricotta to reduce the liquid.  None have been that really great recipe.

I really value the opinions of members here, and would appreciate any personal favorites you're willing to share.

The problem here is to find a REAL ricotta cheese ,the one you buy from a gorcery store is not what I know as ricotta , is full of liquid and flavorless.

If you are lucky and find a place where they sell a real ( sheep ) ricotta cheese , then you only need to strain the cheese ,from the extra liquid and use for your cake.

I usually whip the ricotta then use as many flavor as you like , lots of citrus , cinnamon etc.

I have a formula that calls for many ingredients , included pastry cream ,and pate a choux plus eggs and like I sayd flavors aromas , vanilla cinnamon citrus .

Vanessa

What are the qualities you are looking for in a "really GREAT ricotta cheesecake recipe"?

Eileen

Good question. I'd say a smooth consistency, no separate crust, not overly sweet, slight citrus hint.

I remember one a friend made when I was a child that was very moist, and had some candied fruit in it....

Desiderio, your point about the quality of the ricotta is well taken. Unfortunately, I don't have many options. There is an Italian grocery about an hour away, and I think they have a fresh ricotta.....

I'm looking for a really GREAT ricotta cheese cake recipe.  I know the web is full of recipes, and I've tried a few doing everything from tying the ricotta up in cheese cloth to frying the ricotta to reduce the liquid.  None have been that really great recipe.

Carol Fields has some good recipes in The Italian Baker.

I have a formula that calls for many ingredients , included pastry cream ,and pate a choux plus eggs and like I sayd flavors aromas , vanilla cinnamon citrus .

Desi, is it a secret? Will you share? :biggrin:

I like Carol Field's recipe for this as well, but the wild card is always the ricotta. I've been trying for a long time now, off and on, to replicate the really beautiful ricotta cheese cakes you find all over Italy, with not a whole lot of luck. Or anyway not so much to my own satisfaction.

I haven't made it in about 6 years bit it is delicious with creme fraiche ice cream and orange marmalade.

walnut ricotta cake

1 c ap

2/3 c butter

2/3 sugar

5 eggs separated

1 orange zested

2/3 c ricotta

1 c walnuts

6 tb ap

what a minute, do you mean cheesecake, or a cake made with ricotta cheese?

Edited by xdrixn (log)

www.adrianvasquez.net

The problem here is to find a REAL ricotta cheese

Rosengarten recently reviewed fresh cheeses. His top ricotta was Santa Maria Caseificio which can be purchased at www.buonitalia.com. His second choice was from Old Chatham Sheepherding Company... you can order at www.blacksheepcheese.com

Now all I need is that fantastic recipe.

I think he meant the classic italian "crostata di ricotta ", I am working to find my recepie i am off to work I will try to post it later .

Desiderio, did you have any luck finding your recipe? I picked up 3 pounds of locally made ricotta this today to test a recipe :)

Thanks in advance

-- Warren

I think he meant the classic italian "crostata di ricotta ", I am working to find my recepie i am off to work I will try to post it later .

Desiderio, did you have any luck finding your recipe? I picked up 3 pounds of locally made ricotta this today to test a recipe :)

Thanks in advance

-- Warren

Sorry for the deley my days tend to go very fast :wacko: .

Ok this is made with a pate sable for base .

The filling :

1500 gr ricotta

450 gr sugar

300gr pastry cream

6 egg yolks

200gr pate a choux

6gr salt

200gr powedered gram crakers ( it says biscotti , you can use digestive , gallette etc),its for the purpouse to absorbe some moist .

150gr raisins

150gr candied orange diced

150gr chocolate chips or shaved, whtever you like

rum flavor, alkermes flavor,grated citrus peel ( orange lemon )cinnamon, vanilla.

You can use real flavor with dark rum and alkermes if you want , the rum flavoring might leave a weird acid backtaste sometimes.

Mix everything together leave the fruit and chocolate for last ( no need to over mix with the fruit and chocolate ).

Now you can either form a disc with pate sable ,precooked slightly,put some cream on the disc the put a disc of genoise brushed with some liquor syrup or milk ,then the rest of the cream to form a semisphere ,with other pate sable cover and seal the edges then either brush the top with egg wash or simply egg yolks and sugar and make some design if you have any pate left and bake .

Now I suggest you use an oven plaque or a large baking sheet turned upside down and just blind bake the first disk on it then mount the rest direclty on it and bake ,so you dont have to mess with moving it around.Other option just use the pate sable for a regular base as for a regular crostata in a circula baking pan, blind bake it then pour the cream cover with more pate sable and bake it and that will be a classic crostata , with a very good filling though :biggrin: .

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Thanks in advance

-- Warren

Sorry for the deley my days tend to go very fast :wacko: .

Ok this is made with a pate sable for base .

The filling :

1500 gr ricotta

450 gr sugar

300gr pastry cream

6 egg yolks

200gr pate a choux

6gr salt

200gr powedered gram crakers ( it says biscotti , you can use digestive , gallette etc),its for the purpouse to absorbe some moist .

150gr raisins

150gr candied orange diced

150gr chocolate chips or shaved, whtever you like

rum flavor, alkermes flavor,grated citrus peel ( orange lemon )cinnamon, vanilla.

You can use real flavor with dark rum and alkermes if you want , the rum flavoring might leave a weird acid backtaste sometimes.

mix everything together leave the fruit and chocolate for last ( no need to over mix with the fruit and chocolate ).

No you can either form a disc with pate sable ,precooked slightly,put some cream on the disc the put a disc of genoise brushed with some liquor syrup or milk ,then the rest of the cream to form a semisphere ,with other pate sable cover and seal the edges then either brush the top with egg wash or simply egg yolks and sugar and make some design if you have any pate left and bake .

Now I suggest you use an oven plaque or a large baking sheet turned upside down and just blind bake the first disk on it then mount the rest direclty on it and bake ,so you dont have to mess with moving it around.Other option just use the pate sable for a regular base as for a regular crostata in a circula baking pan, blind bake it then pour the cream cover with more pate sable and bake it and that will be a classic crostata , with a very good filling though :biggrin: .

Vanessa, yum. That looks as if it might just be the thing. I've been thinking about doing something like it, but too tied up with other things to experiment. So thank you so much for providing it here.

I can stop tapping my foot now. :biggrin:

Most welcome, I can assure this formula is one of the best I have ever tried.

It belongs to an older italian baker from Rome ,he is an incredible man with passion and talent and wonderful formulas for cakes and semifreddi , full of flavors and body.His name is Alessandro Forbicini, and I had the honor to work with him once .

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa