• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Dinner on 9th Street in Durham, NC

albionmoonlight

My birthday is this week, so my friends want to take me out this weekend to celebrate. My instinct is to go to Bullocks, in part because I would like to end up at locopops when it is all said and done.

And, while a birthday dinner at Bullocks with locopops for dessert would be a great time, it occurs to me that, even staying constrained by locopops, I may have more options out there.

Basically, are there any places on 9th street that fellow Triangle people here think that we should try? I am very open to pretty much any type of food, as long as it is really good. I went to school in Chapel Hill, live in Cary, and work in Raleigh. So, Durham is really the last frontier for me. I could tell you about good resturants in any of those other three cities.

Durham, I know next to nothing about, so anything that you can present to me is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I'm just as happy as anyone here in NC having barbecue on my birthday, but then I'm happy having barbecue for many other occasions as well, like Monday, and Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons. For my birthday though, especially with the promise of locopops, I'd rather eat at Grasshopper (Asian) or Vin Rouge (French Bistro), both of which have outdoor seating that is surprisingly cool this time of year, and both of which are walking distance to the pops.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

We have really been enjoying Thai Cafe in Durham.

It's not on 9th St, but unless you are stuck walking which I guess you aren't since Bullocks to Locopops is a healthy hike, the food is great! The potstickers are the best I have ever eaten.

Just avoid the Thai Basket appetizers. I know the N&O guy loved them, but we just think they are wierd.

challah-baker

• 2 weeks later...

There's also Grasshopper, George's Garage (they have good, but expensive sushi), Vin Rouge, and i think one more.

Nearby, there's Parizade and Verde (it's the next to ninth street).

Any of those are good choices, but they're not as cheap as Bullocks.