• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martin's Dixieland BBQ Joint blog

BigHoss

Rachel before you head south make sure they are going to be makin this ...$100 foie gras and pulled pork baby :cool:

gallery_23695_426_254.jpg

tracey

http://martinsbbq.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey,

How in the BLUE HECK did you know we're supposed to head down that way this coming weekend?

VERY quick trip, as this came up just yesterday. I'm still cravin' the real pit-stuff, and hope to get to meet the Boss Hoss.

And are you SURE you took that picture THERE? That's a mighty fancy-ass bottle sittin' next to that beautiful sandwich. Truffle oil, indeed!! Do I need to watch out for arugula in the slaw, as well?

Tracey,

How in the BLUE HECK did you know we're supposed to head down that way this coming weekend?

VERY quick trip, as this came up just yesterday.  I'm still cravin' the real pit-stuff, and hope to get to meet the Boss Hoss.

And are you SURE you took that picture THERE?    That's a mighty fancy-ass bottle sittin' next to that beautiful sandwich.  Truffle oil, indeed!!  Do I need to watch out for arugula in the slaw, as well?

tracey...thanks for reading my blog and posting this here on eGullet. Lord knows I have no idea as to how to post pics etc. here. racheld........please email me and let me know when you will be in, i'd love to meet you. i wont be having the fois gras/korobuta pork sandwich this weekend. but we are getting shrimp in from LA tomorrow and will be having shrimp po-boys this week with a lime/tobasco aoli. we also are going to be doing some of Bo's (my kitchen chef) jerk chicken with the 1/2 chix I smoke in the pit. He got the recipe from some really old balding "rasta" man down in the islands several years ago when he live working at Alexandria's. of course you can only have that after you have had our "Q". look forward to seeing you.

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

Yeah...what he said

I actually havent been farther west than Knoxville but I saw that picture....and .....

good thing I still have pulled pork butt in the freezer

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

• 2 months later...

*BUMP*

Well, after way too long of a delay, I finally made it to Martin's BBQ joint this afternoon. If you get a chance to be anywhere around the Nolensville area of Nashville, you should definitely go there!

It's in a rather unassuming location, but that could also be part of the charm. It's not in the middle of the city...the section of Nolensville Pike where his restaurant is located is pretty rural (nothing like the other parts of Nolensville Pike that most around here call "Little Mexico"). When you pull up, you see the front porch and rocking chairs and you can smell the smoke. I had a feeling this would be a good lunch...

When I opened the door, a wave of bbq goodness hit me. Yes, this place would work. The decor is kinda country kitsch, with various license plates and southern cultural icons all over the walls (think Dukes of Hazzard). You pick up your menu and order at the window. You have the all the basic options: pork or brisket sammiches in regular or jumbo, platters of the same, ribs, smoked turkey, bologna, wings and chicken. Sides include baked beans, green beans, cole slaw, cornbread, fries, etc.

I went with two other people, and we had a good sampling of the sides. The pulled pork is very good. For comparison, I'd put it above Smokin' Ed's in Smyrna and Hog Heaven near Vandebilt. The brisket was very well done (read: tasty, not overcooked). It's definitely better than Texana (Hickory Hollow area); I haven't gone to Judge Bean's yet, so I can't say whose is better. I was fortunate to try both the hot and mild sauce. They're not kidding about the heat - you notice it. My girlfriend's mouth was on fire for a good five minutes after having sampling it. The mild sauce was the favorite of the table - it has a hint of sweetness that paired nicely with the pork The cornbread, about the size of a large pancake, was also quite notable as it was the closest my future mother-in-law has found to how her mother used to make. Next time, I think I will try and get the pork on cornbread. Oh! the smoked wings were phenomenal - even after three sandwiches and a giant piece of cornbread, I was so impressed by them that I just kept eating and eating. I didn't try the slaw, but it got high marks as did the coconut cake. I only had a bite because I was stuffed...thanks to Pat.

Once I introduced myself, I was given a tour of the restaurant and smoker setup. Despite being on the way out, he was very friendly with me, and was happy to talk shop for a while (I'm a bit of a BBQ nerd). I got a bit of a scoop on some future dishes and big picture plans, and based on what I had today, I am positive he has the skills to do very well in this town. After we went back inside (it was darn near 100 today), he brought out a bunch of other things for me to sample before he left. I have to say, it was not expected and very much appreciated.

Final thoughts: great food and atmosphere by a guy who clearly has a passion for his que. I hope you'll get a chance to try it next time you roll through our great city.

we plan to stop on our way to Nashville this fall and I am looking forward to it. Thx for the report. I loved smoked chicken wings so that is some thing else to anticipate.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...
*BUMP*

Well, after way too long of a delay, I finally made it to Martin's BBQ joint this afternoon.  If you get a chance to be anywhere around the Nolensville area of Nashville, you should definitely go there!

It's in a rather unassuming location, but that could also be part of the charm.  It's not in the middle of the city...the section of Nolensville Pike where his restaurant is located is pretty rural (nothing like the other parts of Nolensville Pike that most around here call "Little Mexico").  When you pull up, you see the front porch and rocking chairs and you can smell the smoke.  I had a feeling this would be a good lunch...

When I opened the door, a wave of bbq goodness hit me. Yes, this place would work.  The decor is kinda country kitsch, with various license plates and southern cultural icons all over the walls (think Dukes of Hazzard).  You pick up your menu and order at the window.  You have the all the basic options: pork or brisket sammiches in regular or jumbo, platters of the same, ribs, smoked turkey, bologna, wings and chicken.  Sides include baked beans, green beans, cole slaw, cornbread, fries, etc.

I went with two other people, and we had a good sampling of the sides.  The pulled pork is very good. For comparison, I'd put it above Smokin' Ed's in Smyrna and Hog Heaven near Vandebilt. The brisket was very well done (read: tasty, not overcooked).  It's definitely better than Texana (Hickory Hollow area); I haven't gone to Judge Bean's yet, so I can't say whose is better.  I was fortunate to try both the hot and mild sauce.  They're not kidding about the heat - you notice it. My girlfriend's mouth was on fire for a good five minutes after having sampling it.  The mild sauce was the favorite of the table - it has a hint of sweetness that paired nicely with the pork  The cornbread, about the size of a large pancake, was also quite notable as it was the closest my future mother-in-law has found to how her mother used to make.  Next time, I think I will try and get the pork on cornbread.  Oh! the smoked wings were phenomenal - even after three sandwiches and a giant piece of cornbread, I was so impressed by them that I just kept eating and eating. I didn't try the slaw, but it got high marks as did the coconut cake. I only had a bite because I was stuffed...thanks to Pat.

Once I introduced myself, I was given a tour of the restaurant and smoker setup.  Despite being on the way out, he was very friendly with me, and was happy to talk shop for a while (I'm a bit of a BBQ nerd).  I got a bit of a scoop on some future dishes and big picture plans, and based on what I had today, I am positive he has the skills to do very well in this town.  After we went back inside (it was darn near 100 today), he brought out a bunch of other things for me to sample before he left.  I have to say, it was not expected and very much appreciated.

Final thoughts: great food and atmosphere by a guy who clearly has a passion for his que.  I hope you'll get a chance to try it next time you roll through our great city.

Thanks so very much for the kind remarks carpetbagger.........i really appreciate it! we're working our tails off and tryin' hard. We've had a lot of success but we are far from being out of the woods yet. We've only been open for 10 months, Lord willing we'll be successful at this thing. Keep coming out and tell all your friends please, I GOT KIDS TO FEED! keep me posted on that Cornell chicken! If any of y'all are ever in the area please come out and see us. check the blog for constant updates/humor

http://martinsbbq.blogspot.com

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

• 5 months later...

unfortunately too many distractions to stop on our way in the fall but we will definitely swing by in March when on our way to Nashville for the SEC women's tourney. I am looking forward to it.

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...
i just went again today.  awesome as usual.

I just posted on the other (South) board that we tried to go yesterday not realizing he was not open on Mondays during the winter. We will head over tomorrow after doing the WBTS tour fr/ Nashville down to Franklin, Spring Hill, Columbia, &c.

the best cat ever.

I just posted on the other (South) board that we tried to go yesterday not realizing he was not open on Mondays during the winter. We will head over tomorrow after doing the WBTS tour fr/ Nashville down to Franklin, Spring Hill, Columbia, &c.

carpetbagger & lan4dawg.....thanks for coming by the joint and thanks for the kind words about the food. in the next few days i may post an update on the joint and my experience since its inception. we're not out of the woods yet but we're trying hard, just serving the best and most consistent bbq/food we can.......the latter i have learned is one of the HARDEST challenges in the restaurant biz. y'all come in and eat anytime you can, i got kids to feed!

carpetbagger & lan4dawg.....thanks for coming by the joint and thanks for the kind words about the food. in the next few days i may post an update on the joint and my experience since its inception. we're not out of the woods yet but we're trying hard, just serving the best and most consistent bbq/food we can.......the latter i have learned is one of the HARDEST challenges in the restaurant biz. y'all come in and eat anytime you can, i got kids to feed!

Sorry we missed seeing you and I assume you got my note. We enjoyed it and Fuss is a hard critic when it comes to barbecue.

I might need to steal the receipt for the hot sauce you serve w/ the wings. I am guessing chipotles are one of the main ingredients. I bet that stuff helps your beer sales!

the best cat ever.

his hot sauce is ridiculously hot.

i can't eat it in my "old" age.

it does need to be seriously rationed. Fuss took a taste; her eyes got big and she just said, "Oh my God!"--actually she kind of whined it. ":^)

edited to add: speaking of hot.....once again I failed to make it to Prince's Hot Chicken Shack and am kicking my self that we did not get that direction.

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

the best cat ever.

• 1 year later...

Martin's seems to be on the road to NYC Big Apple Bbq...

Saves me a trip to finally try it out

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

• 1 month later...