• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martin's Dixieland BBQ Joint blog

BigHoss

over the weekend i started a blog of my new endeavour of opening up a bbq joint around nashville (nolensville to be exact). this blog is going to be as honest and open as my pride will allow it to be. i plan on showing the ups and the downs of this thing and eventually whether or not it succeeds or fails. youll read my emotions, the language and content might be funny or abrasive but rarely boring! i would be lying my ass off if i told you i wasnt scared. common sense says there is no way in hell i should be doing this but i am.......just a typical food lover following a dream. i try to ease my worries by telling myself that a) if it makes it ill be living my dream, or b) if it doesnt then at least i can say i didnt sit on the sidelines of life watching it roll on by. i would like to invite any of you that read this to follow along with me and read my daily posts, and please post comments of your own when you have them! -Good Lord knows i need the support and/or the advice! thanks!

http://martinsbbq.blogspot.com

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

Good luck w/ it. I am very happy not to be in the restaurant business any longer but I did enjoy it while I was doing it. Of course owning the business changes your perspective of things (and I marked your blog to keep up w/ your progress).

Unfortunately I do not foresee us heading in that direction in the near future which is too bad as I really want to try it out. If we do ever get in that direction I will definitely darken your door way.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Same here, bookmarked. Unlike some others though, I DO live close enough and can guarentee a visit in the near future. Hell, a couple hour drive for good bar b que is nothing!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Just get yourself going, and we'll do more than just darken the door. We'll be there often (despite the 350 miles)---just got back not ten minutes ago, unloaded the car, and lit up the grill. We met kids and Grands in Murfreesboro again, and had a great time (though we ended up at LOGAN'S, instead of for BBQ :angry: )

Can't wait til I can say "Come with MEEEEEE!!!" and we saunter in for ribs and PP (slaw ON, remember) and I'll even join the rest in toasting your new endeavor with that good old 40-weight tea. And I'll bet there's enough "shine" left from our rowdy youths to christen the doorpost (and host) in a proper fashion.

I'm so glad you're almost there, and blogging about it. My favourite blogs are usually works-in-progress, seeing the developing store, restaurant, education, etc. blossoming into a full-blown flower of a life-change, and all through hard work, sweat and a dare to take a dream and draw a line around it, paint it in, and fly.

Good luck w/ it.  I am very happy not to be in the restaurant business any longer but I did enjoy it while I was doing it.  Of course owning the business changes your perspective of things (and I marked your blog to keep up w/ your progress).

Unfortunately I do not foresee us heading in that direction in the near future which is too bad as I really want to try it out.  If we do ever get in that direction I will definitely darken your door way.

yeah its funny because a buddy of mine told me about that on sunday as i was telling him about the blog i had set up. i took a look at and its a very nice blog, i'd like for mine to be similar. i ate at the place about two weeks ago to try it out.

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

bookmarked.

have you been reading the mothership bbq blog?

carpetbagger......i hit the wrong reply button and replied to your post with lan4dawgs content. sorry about that.

yesterday i received word that the blog had a won a "best blog in tennessee" award at tennesseebloggers.com........it was very encouraging and i wanted to thank all of you who have kept up with it and posted! please keep posting if you can.....the more posts on the blog the more popular it will become. trying to steadily get it closer to "the front" or top of the page when someone does a search instead of being buried way down the list. below is a link to the site and again i thank all of you for your support.........its been a big help! http://tennesseebloggers.com/archives/2006...martins_bbq.php

• 2 weeks later...
Is it THIS weekend?    I lost track of the schedule.  Anyway, best wishes for good smoke and great food, kind weather, sweet tea and a BIGGGGGG crowd.

ha.......racheld i wish it was. the town of nolensville screwed up a planning commission meeting for a variance i am seeking to enlarge the area off to the side where i will be cooking. that has pushed me back about a month!!! i could actually be open the 3rd week of this month if i wanted to but figured if its pushed out that far i might as well spend labor day with my family in corinth, ms and open up on sept. 7th because Lord knows i wont have much time with them after i open for quite a while. its actually taken some pressure off and givin me time to make sure things get done right the first time. we did all the demo work this week and will start construction this coming week. im also going to pick the cooker up this week. check out the blog.....it has really taken off, especially over the past couple of weeks. remember....there is NO "www" in the address. thanks for checking in with me though.....i really appreciate it!

http://martinsbbq.blogspot

I'm getting a "cannot be displayed" when I click on the blue above. I did go in through the one up earlier---what a tag team you had going...sledgehammers and toolbelts---beats a Porsche and lotta money in the appeal department.

Glad you can take your time---in your part of the country, Summer is almost everlasting, anyway. I used to live WAY South of there. And BBQ is NEVER out of season.

I'm getting a "cannot be displayed" when I click on the blue above. I did go in through the one up earlier---what a tag team you had going...sledgehammers and toolbelts---beats a Porsche and lotta money in the appeal department.

Glad you can take your time---in your part of the country, Summer is almost everlasting, anyway. I used to live WAY South of there. And BBQ is NEVER out of season.

sorry.......i forgot to add ".com"...........here it is: http://martinsbbq.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

I think the place is having a GRAND party tonight, if the great list of meats and sides a-cookin' at this moment is to be believed. And a man who says "Slaw made" means business---he's gotta be getting the meat ready for that sandwich.

Congratulations, Big Hoss!!!!

thx racheld for the comments.......we are opening a week from today and i am getting a little excited and a little nervous about it all. i hope "they" come.....Lord knows i need it. i am running well over budget and am opening about 6-8 weeks later than i wanted to. i really, really need the cash flow. my short order cook is a life saver. we are doing prep tomorrow and wednesday. health dept is coming thursday. some of you have posted on the blog (http://martinsbbq.blogspot.com) and i want you to know i really appreciate it.........i need ALL the support i can get! Lord willing this coming sunday after church ill load that cooker up with shoulders for mondays lunch, that will be a good feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

hey y'all sorry i've missed the posts here and holly im sorry about the lack of info. i have not had time to take a breath and because of that have not updated my blog or checked in with egullet. we are open everyday of the week except sunday (church & titans) and monday (prep day). saturday nights we have songwriters come out. things are going really well but almost too well. we were not prepared for all of the people that came opening week and therefore had some long wait times and even ran out of food at lunch on thursday. i think people understand that this was our first week but it kills me to inconvenience anyone. the feedback on the food has been awsome. this past weekend and this week have been very, very smooth. we still have some kinks to work out but for the most part those kinks are inventory, etc.. please come back by when you are in town again!!!

oh yeah.....the phone number is 776-1856. the address on carpetbaggers post is correct.

• 2 months later...

Hey, BigHoss!! We came up I-65 from the coast yesterday, and took the Murphreesboro exit. We pulled into KFC, checked our little atlas, and headed east on that road, hitting Alt. 31 and going north. Chris said he bet it was on the "Main Drag" and there it was, on the left.

The hours thing somehow got lost in your post, and it was several months ago, so being that close, we took a chance on your being there on New Year's Eve, with big crowds and all. Empty lot, quiet sunny Sunday afternoon.

No pulled pork, slaw-on, for me :sad: and Chris got such a rib-crave as we drove through that beautiful countryside, he stopped at Logan's, but THAT lot was full-to-bursting, and we had miles to go before we slept---700 total yesterday.

We DID, however, get some nice pictures of your sign and your building---the Georgia O'Keeffe touch in the flowerbeds is quite apropos.

Someone in a purplish van was leaving as we stopped---hopeful, hungry customers, we supposed, and we settled for Cracker Barrel, several more exits up past Nashville.

There will be a lot more trips just to Murphreesboro, so (Ahnold voice), "We'll be BAAUKKK" in the Spring, with kids and Grands in tow. We'll have the windows down as we approach, noses lifted for the first scent of that pit turning out the glistening, tender, delicious meat. :wub:

edited to apostrophe Miss Georgia

Edited by racheld (log)

i am so sorry i missed you......we're closed on sundays for church/titans games and mondays we're closed for prep. please come back as soon as you can! things are going pretty well for the 1st two and a half months. this has been learning experience like you would not believe!