• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TV's Ray of light: RR show debuts Sept 18

Gifted Gourmet

USA Today article ...

A quick look at all of the media today has the same news which is that Rachel Ray's newest venture, her television show, debuts on September 18th ...

Ray, handpicked and backed by Oprah Winfrey, will launch a new one-hour daytime syndicated series Sept. 18. Although Ray is known for her cooking shows and books, the talk show will include cooking but be much broader. " 'Can do' is going to remain the heart and gut of it," Ray told the critics in a question-and-answer session before lunch. Expect "the grooviest set I've ever seen," she says, including two 1960s couches. But the show isn't going to be a sit-on-the-couch and talk show. Instead, she'll have a kitchen table for casual chatting. Celebrities who come on will need to be able to tell stories and to "play games — show us the side that's more like us, not Hollywood. Play a little foosball, shoot some hoops, make something, break bread, have a cup of joe, whatever."

NY Daily News has a similar article ...

At the kitchen table, you're more kind of just hanging out. It's a different vibe.... Life seems a whole lot easier at the kitchen table."

I actually think that this may work out well .. she wants to use her "content buddies" to share ideas ... and she adds that no show will follow any one theme ... maybe this isn't so farfetched after all ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Still hopeful that we can focus our comments on the upcoming show rather than on a "verbal bombardment" of Rachel Ray ...

Perhaps, once it has actually aired, we can better decide on the merits (or lack of merit) the show brings ... fair enough? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

so it's oprah meets ellen meets tony danza meets isaac. this sounds incredibly original, hopefully ending up like emeril's sitcom. afaik, fn has dropped her trainwreck "let me interview celebrities like morgan freeman and adam corolla" show. i think that's rather telling, as it is the closest anyone has seen to her interviewing people, and well, it wasn't pretty. oh well, it will be fun to watch the wheels fall off!

picturing the first episode...

"hi everyone *big waive* i'm rachel ray. today, i'll show you an unoriginal copycat of every other talk show, in just under 60 minutes. *hand motion left to right* i hope you all had a great weekend. since it's back to school time, i wanted to help out all you budding tv personalities who are currently in college and interning with a media company, because i was lost. hey, i was just a hojo fountain girl *snorting laughter* so, stay tuned for my eye rolling and hand gestures for dummies segment later on in the show. the fall means more than just back to school - it means football...and i'm so *over the top eye roll* excited to have tiki barber, a football player with the ny giants with us today to tell us all about his pre and post game rituals. i hear he has a killer hot dog paprikash buffalo wing sauce dish. *giggles* i don't know if we'll get to cooking, but i'm definitley going to challenge him to a situp contest. rock hard abs, baby! *punches stomach* so stay tuned, because after the break we're going to get things going with fashion design guru tim gunn, who is going to join me for some early morning cocktails - because i hear he loves the booze as much as i do - and dish on the latest project runway gossip and some of the must-have items for your fall wardrobe."

Speaking of Rachel Ray, I've been seeing the ad for her new talk show where I

could swear that she said "There'll be sex! It'll be fun!" Took a while to

realize she was saying "Snacks."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My, for being so down-to-earth, unassuming, and giftedly-vibed, she certainly makes a lot of demands and rules for who will be allowed to sit at her hallowed kitchen table. At some point the only guests she will be able to book will be her witless fans, but I'm sure they will love it! Yum-o! How great would that be!?

PS: Carpetbagger--I lost it at the Tiki Barber/situp contest part. lolz.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Speaking of Rachel Ray, I've been seeing the ad for her new talk show where I

could swear that she said "There'll be sex!  It'll be fun!"  Took a while to

realize she was saying "Snacks."

HEHEHEHEHE. That's brilliant!

~ C

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

Still hopeful that we can focus our comments on the upcoming show rather than on a "verbal bombardment" of Rachel Ray ...

Perhaps, once it has actually aired, we can better decide on the merits (or lack of merit) the show brings ... fair enough? :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to sound snarky in my comments. But I seriously think that RR is spreading herself too thin and that she's almost at the point of overexposure. A million shows on the Food Network, books, a magazine, a cookware line, now a talk show?

I don't see where her talk show can possibly bring anything new to the table. The whole talk show format has been done to death anyway (remember the late 90's?). At one point it seemed like everyone and their mother had a talk show. :laugh:

Perhaps I'll tune in to an episode to gauge her "talk show worthiness" for myself. But I am skeptical about its longevity and its necessity in the first place.

so it's oprah meets ellen meets tony danza meets isaac. this sounds incredibly original, hopefully ending up like emeril's sitcom. afaik, fn has dropped her trainwreck "let me interview celebrities like morgan freeman and adam corolla" show. i think that's rather telling, as it is the closest anyone has seen to her interviewing people, and well, it wasn't pretty. oh well, it will be fun to watch the wheels fall off!

picturing the first episode...

"hi everyone *big waive* i'm rachel ray. today, i'll show you an unoriginal copycat of every other talk show, in just under 60 minutes. *hand motion left to right* i hope you all had a great weekend. since it's back to school time, i wanted to help out all you budding tv personalities who are currently in college and interning with a media company, because i was lost. hey, i was just a hojo fountain girl *snorting laughter* so, stay tuned for my eye rolling and hand gestures for dummies segment later on in the show. the fall means more than just back to school - it means football...and i'm so *over the top eye roll* excited to have tiki barber, a football player with the ny giants with us today to tell us all about his pre and post game rituals. i hear he has a killer hot dog paprikash buffalo wing sauce dish. *giggles* i don't know if we'll get to cooking, but i'm definitley going to challenge him to a situp contest. rock hard abs, baby! *punches stomach* so stay tuned, because after the break we're going to get things going with fashion design guru tim gunn, who is going to join me for some early morning cocktails - because i hear he loves the booze as much as i do - and dish on the latest project runway gossip and some of the must-have items for your fall wardrobe."

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

It's pretty clear that, since the show hasn't actually aired, there's nothing really to discuss that is food- or food-media-related. As a result, most posts here simply correspond to just the sort of bashing that Gifted Gourmet mentioned, posts that don't contribute to the mission of eG Forums. Thus we're closing this thread down.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts