• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Alone in Paris at bars

daisy17

Quick question that I thought I'd add to this thread (may add to Paris in August thread too). I'll be in Paris alone the first weekend in August, which apparently is the absolute worst time to go restaurant-wise (no choice on timing for me, it's for business). [As an aside, I pretty much refuse to go to Paris with other people - I studied there in college and crave being alone there whenever I return. There's no place to be alone like Paris.]

I love to eat at the bar in NY and I'm wondering if one can dine alone at the bar at any of the following places, which I understand may be open in August: L'Affriole, Les Bookinistes, La Regalade, L'Epi Dupin. Many thanks.

I love to eat at the bar in NY and I'm wondering if one can dine alone at the bar at any of the following places, which I understand may be open in August: L'Affriole, Les Bookinistes, La Regalade, L'Epi Dupin.  Many thanks.

I don't remember either les Bouquinistes or la Regalade having a bar area where you can eat and haven't been to either L'Affriole or L'Epi Dupin. Unfortunately I can't think of all that many places in Paris that do.

I think I remember John Talbott saying that Drouant has a bar area where you can eat. Fish, on rue de Seine, certainly does and I often eat there alone. Atelier de Robuchon, does, of course.

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I love to eat at the bar in NY and I'm wondering if one can dine alone at the bar at any of the following places, which I understand may be open in August: L'Affriole, Les Bookinistes, La Regalade, L'Epi Dupin.  Many thanks.

I don't remember either les Bouquinistes or la Regalade having a bar area where you can eat and haven't been to either L'Affriole or L'Epi Dupin. Unfortunately I can't think of all that many places in Paris that do.

I think I remember John Talbott saying that Drouant has a bar area where you can eat. Fish, on rue de Seine, certainly does and I often eat there alone. Atelier de Robuchon, does, of course.

This may merit a thread of its own. Let's see,

Felice is correct, as usual, Drouant has a bar one may eat at, so does Senderens, l'Atelier, Dominique Bouchet, Chez les Anges, Pinxo and a lot of hotels. While I suppose one could eat at the bar at Le Regalade it's really more suitable for leaning on and sipping at, as is that at Les Enfants Rouge.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Quick question that I thought I'd add to this thread (may add to Paris in August thread too).  I'll be in Paris alone the first weekend in August, which apparently is the absolute worst time to go restaurant-wise (no choice on timing for me, it's for business).  [As an aside, I pretty much refuse to go to Paris with other people - I studied there in college and crave being alone there whenever I return.  There's no place to be alone like Paris.]

Le Bouquiniste has a nice bar for eating. L'Epi Dupin has a very cozy 3 seat bar off the entrance. It is a bit cramp but entertaining if you enjoy interacting with the wait staff.

We were at Willi's Wine Bar for lunch today, and there is a bar at which you can eat. In fact, that is the only place in the restaurant at which you can eat a la carte in the evening, if I read the menu correctly, which I may not have. (Our meal was terrific, by the way; I will report at length later.) --PR

We were at Willi's Wine Bar for lunch today, and there is a bar at which you can eat. In fact, that is the only place in the restaurant at which you can eat a la carte in the evening, if I read the menu correctly, which I may not have. (Our meal was terrific, by the way; I will report at length later.) --PR

I forgot about Willi's, that's a great recommendation.

I know most people are looking for French, but Azabu, an amazing Japanese restaurant in the 6th, has bar-type seating overlooking their teppanyaki grill.

Edited by Felice (log)

[i think I remember John Talbott saying that Drouant has a bar area where you can eat.  Fish, on rue de Seine, certainly does and I often eat there alone.  Atelier de Robuchon, does, of course.

I can't speak to any of the restaurants you listed. But like Felice I had a lovely solo bar meal at Fish la Poissonnerie on la rue de Seine, 6e, late after an evening exhibition. No reservation, but it was busy for midweek 10 pm-ish. It had been recommended by a friend, and I must admit to being a bit dubious, since it seemed a comfortably bilingual place (quite a number of English speakers} but the food was very good, a carefully chosen but uncomplicated selection of wines by the glass, and a very relaxing atmosphere for bar dining.

there was another thread here about dining solo in Paris restaurants (can't find it, help me someone!). When I dine solo in the States, bar dining is my preference, but in Paris I'm equally comfortable asking for a table.

I eat solo in Paris all the time and I make my choices based on where I want to eat. I have never felt uncomfortable even having lunch at Joel Robuchon or Taillevant. L'Atelier Joel Robuchon is of course a bar set up and in there I always chat with the neighbours. I think Le Cave L'Os a Moelle (don't know if it is open in August) is fun when you're alone--crowded and lively with very good food and wine. Le Viel Ami on Ile Saint Louis has a large table that seats different diners, but again check for August opening.

Another fun place is the wine bar Mellac in the Bastille area. Lots of conversation, wine and plain but tasty food.

Speaking of bars and such, I enjoy a drink and some food at the Clown Bar (pronounced Cloon) as well as Closerie des Llilas in Montparnasse.

If you look around you will see other solo diners, many of them French. Apparently, Paris has the highest number of people living alone.

If you need any info on these places PM me. I am too tired right now to check my notes.

Have a wonderful time. :wink:

there was another thread here about dining solo in Paris restaurants (can't find it, help me someone!). 

That would be here.

I split it off because it seemed to me that "eating alone" could be at bars or tables but 'bar meals" deserved its own thread.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that the bar at Les Bouquinistes isn't set up for dining, or at least it wasn't this past weekend. Had a very good dinner alone at a table though. L'Atelier was excellent once again, and really is perfect for solo dining. I'm sure the friendly French couple next to me shuddered at how I butchered their language, but we chatted nonetheless.

It turns out that the bar at Les Bouquinistes isn't set up for dining, or at least it wasn't this past weekend.  Had a very good dinner alone at a table though.  L'Atelier was excellent once again, and really is perfect for solo dining.  I'm sure the friendly French couple next to me shuddered at how I butchered their language, but we chatted nonetheless.

Thanks so much Daisy for giving us a report back. I have to say that I haven't seen very many places that do have bar seating in Paris and was surprised to hear that Bouquinistes did. I saw someone recently eating at the bar at Chateaubriand, but he also seemed to know the staff so I don't know if this was the norm. In the US, I love sitting at a restaurant's bar and would welcome the chance to do it more here, but for now it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Atelier de Maitre Albert has a nice bar area.. Avoid the Senderens bar upstairs like the plague..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog