• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tunisian apricot question

The culinary high point of my trip to Tunisia this June may well have been the wonderful fruits there: peaches and watermelon were in season, and I had some truly excellent plums as well.

But my favorite fruit was a sort of yellow apricot, juicier and tarter than the apricots we get in the US. It was amazing, and I wish I could get them here.

At the time, I asked, and was told, the name of these apricots. But like an idiot, I didn't write it down, and naturally have forgotten. Also like an idiot, I didn't take a photo of the apricots.

So I appeal to you: can anybody help me identify these apricots? What are they called?

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

i'm afraid i'm not much help. don't know much about no tunisian apricots. but i do know about american apricots. pretty simple: not much point. there are two really terrific apricots grown here: blenheims (sometimes called royals, sometimes called royal blenheims) and moorpark. but you'll almost never see them fresh except at farmers markets, and then only rarely. the industry has been almost completely taken over by really mediocre fresh 'cots like castlebrite and patterson. the good ones are complete pains in the asses to grow (so most folks can't stay in business farming them) and they are small and imperfect cosmetically (so most folks don't want to buy them.

• 2 months later...