• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hog Hollow Barbecue

rooftop1000

gallery_23695_426_670841.jpg

One of our standard bike trips is to Hog Hollow in Philipsburgh @ 400 RT 57 ....(908) 454-HAWG.

Todays lunch was as good as it gets and included the "weekend special" of fred flinstone beef ribs.

Actually it was the arrival of the beef ribs that prompted the call for the camera. So I ran out on my ribs and grabbed the camera from my bag.

gallery_23695_426_245616.jpg

the Family Dinner of Beef Ribs came with a pound each of Sweet potato fries and Coleslaw

gallery_23695_426_49676.jpg

Pulled chicken Sandwich with a side of chili...and a diet soda

gallery_23695_426_114963.jpg

Your basic half rack with 2 sides

gallery_23695_426_358195.jpg

A 1 pound baked potato with Butter, Cheese, Pulled Pork, Chives, and Sour Cream

gallery_23695_426_249342.jpg

gallery_23695_426_504431.jpg

Tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How long has this place been in business?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

This was my 3rd trip so at least 3 years...but i believe some of newpaper clippings they have up are older than that.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

ooh--looks good--didn't know about this place.

dang, I was just over in Easton a few days ago and could have eaten there--thanks for the tip I will be visiting there shortly.

And you went on your bike? it's always nice to see a bunch of bikes in front of a BBQ joint--adds to the ambience!!!

tracey-

is this place before the turnoff to alpha or after - closer to pburg proper? we're heading out to pa for a meeting in 2 weeks and i'm thinking this would be a great place to stop for dinner on the way home....

thanks

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi

we went from Wayne NJ through Sussex over the Dingmans Ferry bridge, down River rd, east on rt 80 to 46......

I have no clue how to get there in a straight line :shock::rolleyes::hmmm::blush:

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

I HAD to look this up, because I must go there ASAP. If you are going via Rte. 78, get off at exit 3 (Phillipsburg, aka Last Exit In NJ) and take 22 North past the Shop Rite on your right, through 3 or 4 stop lights. The road suddenly bifucates, with 22 bearing left and 57 to the right. Go right onto 57 East and it should be 1/4 mile down the road.

400 Rte. 57, Phillipsburg

we were so excited to have some good bbq that we drove over Monday night--duh! It was closed--but maybe trying again tonight.

And if you are coming from the east and have time , get off 78 at rt 31, go north on 31 til you hit 57 in Washington , and go left--it's maybe a 6 or 7 mile drive, but it's all country--cornfields and strange little stores and clusters of houses too small to be a town--it hasn't changed in 30 years--I love it!

Zoe

thanks all - we go 57 w from hacketsburg out to alpha then jump on 78 w. i can picture just where this is and it will be on the dinner menu on the 29th.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I HAD to look this up, because I must go there ASAP.  If you are going via Rte. 78, get off at exit 3 (Phillipsburg, aka Last Exit In NJ) and take 22 North past the Shop Rite on your right, through 3 or 4 stop lights.  The road suddenly bifucates, with 22 bearing left and 57 to the right.  Go right onto 57 East and it should be 1/4 mile down the road.

I always though that Route 22 runs east west. It is one of the old national highways.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I HAD to look this up, because I must go there ASAP.  If you are going via Rte. 78, get off at exit 3 (Phillipsburg, aka Last Exit In NJ) and take 22 North past the Shop Rite on your right, through 3 or 4 stop lights.  The road suddenly bifucates, with 22 bearing left and 57 to the right.  Go right onto 57 East and it should be 1/4 mile down the road.

I always though that Route 22 runs east west. It is one of the old national highways.

it does. at that point, 22 and 78 are the same, and 22 splits off into a seemingly northerly direction, which is what i assume is pitter is referring to. take it up 2 miles or so and bear to the right for 57 east.

either way, google maps or yahoo maps pinpoints the address pretty well, for those hitting the road.

I just had to add that since its part of an old hotdog grill commercial with a character that looks like Clinton.....

This is what happens when you bring an observant Jewish diabetic out for BBQ.

T

Maxine

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...

well, finally made it here for dinner last night.

we both got the pulled pork--very nice, juicy, smoky and has some crispy bits--you get way too much--the Hub and i could have shared one dinner and had plenty--we brought tons home.

The Hub likes that the pork comes dry--he hates having sauce poured over his meat.

The sauces are a vinegar sauce, good--a sweet molasses/tomato sauce, ok--mixed together pretty good. a mustard sauce that is just mustard with pepper in it as far as I could tell--not so good.

the sides are a weakness--out of cornbread last night, the cole slaw standard deli slaw, the Tennessee spicy coleslaw drowned in mayo and red but not spicy, the fries were undercooked.

I shouldn't quibble, but what is it that Southern BBQ places have that you don't get in NJ? The atmosphere just wasn't right--is it too self-conscious here?

the decor was too cute, the waitress didn't have a cigarette voice, the radio was blaring some local station playing nouveau country--something was missing.

the only BBQ joint up North that ever got it right was Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse--that was a down and dirty place.

But i did have a delicious DQ Jr Butterscotch sundae with fake whipped topping on it on the way home--that made up for a lot!!!

Zoe

Wish I knew about this place during my Lafayette days... Of course that was 10 years ago, and they may not even have been in existence...

Big reunion coming up next year, so I may have to file this place into the back of my brain!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 2 weeks later...

(ah, there it is...)

I was wondering when you cats were going to discover this place. The ads used to say when they had all-you-can-eat something or other, but I imagine the costs thereof got out of hand.

Their location is too far out of the way for me, Mr. I Gotta Take the ____ing Bus; Warren County runs them out there, but they go from P-burg proper to the Mall, to the Walmart, to 57 and 519, around but not to it.

BOB

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the area and have been to Hog Hollow several times, it has been here for at least 5 years.

Directions

From Route 78 West

Take the last exit in NJ- Exit 3 Route 22 West

Go past Shop Rite on your right ( about 1 mile), get into the right lane and make a right turn at the light onto Route 519 ( Honda Dealer is on the corner), at the next light is Route 57 make a left, Hog Hollow is on the left about ¼ mile.

If you like hog dogs, and I know you do, if you continue on Route 57 past Hog Hollow onto Route 22 West on the right you will see Toby’s Cup. Holly Eats gave it an excellent rating. If you go get an extra thick shake, to die for!

From Route 22 from Easton

Take Route 22 East, at the route 57 split stay in the left lane onto Route 57, Hog Hollow is on the right side after the traffic light about ½ mile.

Edited by NYYANKEESFAN (log)

FYI, if anyone is a golfer, this is around the corner from one of the nicest courses I've played recently, The Architects Golf Course! Unfortunately, didn't have an opportunity to stop in for a bite after my round...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 10 months later...

Stopped by Hog Hollow for first time today after having read about it here. The trip took me a bit out of my way, but the beef ribs pic above was compelling. First off, the bad news: they don't do beef ribs any more. (and the beef ribs in the pics above look so damn good)

Got two full racks of pork ribs to take home. They advertise "Tennessee style", and having had the good fortune to be able to visit quite a few barbecue joints in the Memphis area in the last year, I'd say thats fairly accurate. They're dry ribs - that is, no sauce (generous portion of sauce comes on the side). Good smoky flavor, moist, tender. Nice size racks too.

Exact location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.700890,+-75.147718&t=h&z=19

• 1 year later...

Based on the wonderful reviews and pix here, we were going to take a drive from Essex County, out to Philipsburg today. However, I could not find any website or recent reviews of this place, and Google Maps, gave me two addresses for it.. the one in P-burg, and another in Hampton, NJ.

So I called the Pburg number this afternoon, and got someone's home answering machine ( child's voice). Called the other number in Hampton NJ, and a gentleman answered. when I asked if this was a bbq place, he said, it used to be. Turns out he closed down the P burg restaurant's location about 2 years ago, and is only doing catering.

Oh Well.

New info:

Hog Hollow Barbecue

44 Foss Ave

Hampton, NJ 08827-2724

(908) 537-4211

Maybe we'll head for Ol West BBQ instead.

maybe the moderators can indicate in the thread subtitle, that this place is closed now?