• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

85% cocoa chocolate

debler

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading all the diff threads on chcolate, making, uses, etc......

But my daughter , 12 years old, bought me a 85% cocoa bar for my birthday , knowing how much I like , dark, bitter chocolate. However, YUK! :blink:

Does anyone have any recipies I can use it in so as I don't dissapoint her, and perhaps we can all enjoy it!

There has to be something out there to make it better! :unsure:

I really liked the thread on making your own chocolate at home, unfortunitly, not only do I not have the $ for the equiptment, the time might be a issue.....but it was lovely reading about it..........if you want to sell it..........my addy is.......... LOL :laugh:

Recipies please! ANYONE!!!! :wub:

You'd use some of it to increase the intensity of a chocolate dessert that used a milder chocolate with less cocoa liquor content. Add some of it to a chocolate mousse recipe or make it into shavings to use as a garnish on another dessert.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Personally, I think anything that is 60% cacao or over is too bitter for me....just to eat plain, anyway.

I would use your bitter bar in anything that you would normally use unsweetened chocolate in. A lot of brownie recipes use unsweetened chocolate, so there's something. It's also great to melt and add to plain buttercream.....that way you have a chocolate buttercream that isn't terribly sweet.

:smile:

85% is a little bitter for me to eat on its own as well. You can use it in any recipe that calls for milk chocolate or 60-70% chocolate--just add a bit more sugar and butter or cream to taste. The easiest thing would be to just make hot chocolate.

I have a brownie recipe in Recipe Gullet that calls for 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 3 oz. bittersweet--you could use 8 oz. of 85% instead.

Thank you , they are all fab sujestions, I will prob make some brownies! yum! and I like the idea of shaving a bit on top, for that intense, bitter chocolate, not too much mind! LOL

You could make "Chocolate Paté"

1 pound chocolate

6 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup whipping cream.

Melt and blend them over low heat, or in a double saucepan, and pour into jars. Cover when cold. I guess if the mixture is not sweet enough, you could add some sugar to taste and melt it in.

It will keep for weeks in the fridge (in theory anyway - usually it gets eaten up very quickly). Can be used as a ganache for cakes, spooned out onto waffles etc, or melted in the microwave to make a chocolate sauce.

I make it almost every year for Christmas gifts. You can make it with white chocolate too, and if you are careful and do it while it is cool but still pourable you can even layer it in the jars, which looks very classy.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday