• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fishmonger in Vancouver?

Looks like a slow day on the board today :smile:

I can't give you any specifics as I haven't lived in the city for a while, but Granville Island would for sure fit the bill of both your posts until you can get a more in depth answer. I personally would head for the Lobster Man for some shellfish and then to Oyama for some meat.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Who's the best supplier for fresh fish and other seafood in Vancity?

Must be ex-TO. Kinda like when I was there 4 years ago, and somebody asked me how things were in the 'Couve.

Longliner is my seafood go to.

A.

I'll throw in a quick word for our local monger: The Village Fish Store in West Van on Marine near 15th. A bit cheaper than the shops on Granville Island; they make good crab cakes and they get in some interesting fish. Best of all, I've gone in there looking for bones and heads to make stock and on two occasions they gave me a bag of cuttings for free.

Paul B

Must be ex-TO.  Kinda like when I was there 4 years ago, and somebody asked me how things were in the 'Couve.

nice...I have friends from Victoria that have called Vancouver..."Couver" for as long as I can remember (read about 15 years). Sorry, tis not a "TO" thing

I second the Lobster Man for oysters.

officially left egullet....

I would say the docks of Steveston are your best bet.

Also it is better to put the money in the hands of the people fishing it rather than a middleman.

I find the Lobster Man charges way too much for the product that he carries.

I understand about the high rents but I really think that he takes it a bit far.

You can also visit Albion Fisheries on Great Northern Way as they have a wholesale office and due to the volume they deal in, the product is going to be fresher.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

The fish monger in Lonsdale Quay always works for me! His stuff is always fresh and the selection varied.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

Seafood City at Granville Island, great family owned and operated business, they are my back up supplier for those crazy days when we sell out. see Brian he's a very helpful guy

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Seafood City at Granville Island, great family owned and operated business, they are my back up supplier for those crazy days when we sell out. see Brian he's a very helpful guy

I will second Seafood City. My husband is in the seafood business and Seafood City is one of his clients. Whenever he brings products to Seafood City, Mrs. Hamatake (Brian's mother) checks everything thoroughly. She will return anything that is not up to standards and demand the very best. The pricing may be higher, but when it comes to freshness and quality - it may be worth the extra charge.

My vote goes to Longhouse on Dunbar. It a family run business and they have the best choice of Smoked Salmon and jerky in the city. Try the traditional smoked salmon jerky Their prices are also very competitive and their fish is always fresh. Great friendly service as well. We've made them our new fishmonger as we used to go Seven Seas but find Longhouse better. Great Smoked Alaska Black Cod.

It isn't Vancouver but for those out in the eastern 'burbs, the fishmonger at Newport Village in Port Moody is great. Fresh fish, wonderful crab cakes and halibut cakes, a great teriyaki marinade that he uses for salmon filets, etc., etc. A bit pricey but the quality is worth the money.

It isn't Vancouver but for those out in the eastern 'burbs, the fishmonger at Newport Village in Port Moody is great.  Fresh fish, wonderful crab cakes and halibut cakes, a great teriyaki marinade that he uses for salmon filets, etc., etc.  A bit pricey but the quality is worth the money.

That's Malcolm! (aka "Magic") I used to work with him at Longliner on GI oh so many years ago. Great guy and he really knows his stuff. Good call mamacat!

A.

I have heard rumors that Finest at Sea is close to securing a retail location on the West Side. Ian Angus produces what is, in my humble opinion, the finest smoked sablefish and a salmon mousse that has no comparison. If these are any indicators then the best fish monger in Vancouver will be easy to determine.

I am looking forward to further news - perhaps soon?

Cheers,

Karole

I have heard rumors that Finest at Sea is close to securing a retail location on the West Side. Ian Angus produces what is, in my humble opinion, the finest smoked sablefish and a salmon mousse that has no comparison. If these are any indicators then the best fish monger in Vancouver will be easy to determine.

I am looking forward to further news - perhaps soon?

Shhhhhh! It's a secret! :raz:

Yup ... best damn mousse EVER!

A.

^

You would be very lucky to have a FAS retail store nearby. We use FAS products at work where available (and when they can meet our demand!) and Chef has a long history with the company. Did you know that their invoices show when/where your fish was caught, using GPS coordinates as well as plain english? How fresh *is* your whole halibut? Oh, it was caught yesterday? Ok.

All of their product is top drawer, but I especially like their smoked Albacore. Can't be beat!

Good company, great product, and in expansion mode. Glad to see this! Bob deserves all his success.

Uh, I'm a bit of a cheerleader for the hometown boys ... :biggrin:

-- Matt.

I went to Steveston today...no ships. I usually buy salmon and shrimp there during the summer, though. Do the ships only come on the weekends?

So I went to Steveston Fish, right by Timothy's Frozen Yogurt. The shop smelled...fishy. The fish looked tired. Just thought I'd save someone a trip.

So I went to City Fresh (on No. 3 Road, in the same complex as Chapters) and they had Dungenous crab on sale for $2.99/lb. I also picked up some fresh (in the shell) scallops.

Made this for dinner:

scallop ceviche

gallery_7973_3014_13472.jpg

crab dressed with sesame oil and Chinese black vinegar, shaved asparagus, and roasted beets with a lime vinagrette

gallery_7973_3014_650995.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

I went to Steveston today...no ships. I usually buy salmon and shrimp there during the summer, though. Do the ships only come on the weekends?

So I went to Steveston Fish, right by Timothy's Frozen Yogurt. The shop smelled...fishy. The fish looked tired. Just thought I'd save someone a trip.

So I went to City Fresh (on No. 3 Road, in the same complex as Chapters) and they had Dungenous crab on sale for $2.99/lb. I also picked up some fresh (in the shell) scallops.

Made this for dinner:

scallop ceviche

gallery_7973_3014_13472.jpg

crab dressed with sesame oil and Chinese black vinegar, shaved asparagus, and roasted beets with a lime vinagrette

gallery_7973_3014_650995.jpg

That store always stinks and has lots of flies buzzing around all the time, If I recall correctly it has been for sale for a while. Your food looks yummy

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca