• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairing for mango mousse

highchef

recipe calls for 1lb mangos, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 envelope of gelatin and 3 tb.water to dissolve and 1 cup of cold whipped cream. Basically sieve the mango, add dissolved gelatin fold into whipped cream but but I forgot to add the sugar to the mango and was suprised when my beautiful mousse barely hinted of sweetness but the mango taste was good, fresh and pure. The only sweetness coming from the mango's themselves. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it changes how I was going to serve it (with fresh fruit). Now it definatly needs to be paired with somthing sweet. I was thinking of peach cobbler?? I like mango and peach in smoothies. In a pinch I guess I could whip up a pound cake. What would you do?

Thanks.

edit: I meant envelope. fenvelope is an antelope that live on the fens? no?

Edited by highchef (log)

Well, congratulations, I guess. Often fruit desserts are fine without sugar. You've obviously discovered something that can be enjoyed by those who can't eat sugar. As to what to go with it, I'd think about a change in texture. Perhaps a crunchy cookie, maybe with macadamia nuts to keep the whole tropical thing going, or even some madadamia brittle.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

How about if you macerated the fresh fruit in a sugar syrup or a sweet liqueur? Then you'd keep to your original idea but the sweet element would be reversed.

No, I think you were on the right track with a cake. A cake is nothing but a big sugar bomb, so it will offset your less to no sweet mango mousse.

I was amazed at the flavor that comes through by using mangos in filling type pastries. I made a mango curd recently. It was delicious and the mango flavor really stood out in the cake. Mangos and coconut, almond or banana work really well together in cake flavors.

Mango and peach are a good combination, but when I was in El Salvador a few months ago, fresh mangos were served with lime juice squeezed over them, and occasionally a pepper sauce akin to tabasco, or a Louisiana-style hot sauce. It was super-refreshing when it was hot.

So, how about with a lime granita?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Eh just drizzle some honey on it and serve over the fruit :smile: ...

or any of the above great ideas they all sound good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I made a pound cake. I tried to buy ameretto cookies (on a Sunday), thinking I could get them at Sam's...no deal, seasonal thing. Sooo, I added almond extract to the batter. Smells great, we'll see.

Thanks for all the advice. It really is not bad as it seemed to be, and quite a surprise given that I'm not used to the 'real' flavor of the food coming through. Baking is so many flavors, it's unusual to have a dessert that is so pure and simple, so I'll file it with notes that you can leave out the sugar and let it go with richer, sweeter stuff as is. I don't know about you guys, but I have 5 folders of recipes that I've downloaded. I'm about to start a thread on how to classify recipes, librarians needed.

Can we get a spell check on this site????

Uh, sure....give me your password and carte blanche at your restaurant, and I'll spell and grammar check all of your posts!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Uh, sure....give me your password and carte blanche at your restaurant, and I'll spell and grammar check all of your posts!

Thanks for the offer J, but I don't have a restauraunt. I just wished for a spell check here..