• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuban Mojo Marinade

While shopping for cranberry beans at Wild Oats this morning, I came across a bottle of Badia brand "Mojo Marinade". For those unfamiliar, it is a "marinade for meats, poultry, fish and seafood." Ingredients are: Grapefruit and orange juice, vinegar, MSG, Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, "spices", and bitter orange concentrate.

Having recently purchased a new grill, I've been trying all kinds of marinades, usually prepared fresh in my own kitchen. But I've never seen or heard of "Mojo" marinade.

Would like to know what is best to marinate and grill in this, and any suggestions for complementary side dishes. I'm anxious to try it!

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have done the Three Guys from Cuba Mojo Sauce.. One thing they stress is that they use a Sour Orange.. I have not been able to find one in my hood.. They suggest using a lemon and lime combo to replace the sour orange.. But I wonder what that sour orange does.. If the store brought brand uses sour orange maybe you should try it.. Other wise making it is very easy.. I am making carnitas and a grilled rib steak for lunch and going to do a similiar marinade for the steaks..

Here is a link to there recipe...

three guys

Would like to know what is best to marinate and grill in this, and any suggestions for complementary side dishes.  I'm anxious to try it!

I've used the same 3 Guys recipe a few weeks ago. Bought and trimmed a full pork loin, marinated in the mojo overnight, and then roasted/smoked on the bbq for approx 2 hours at 300F with hickory.

Took it off at 150F internal temp and let is rest for 20 minutes. The meat was sliced and guests either ate off a plate or created their own Cuban sandwiches. Extra mojo was available as a condiment.

It was served with a black bean/rice creation of my wife's, along with some type of citrusy salad.

Edited by daves (log)

I've used both bottled Mojo and made my own (with sour oranges) and the homemade version was definitely superior. Canned orange juice is just never as good as fresh.

Msphoebe, beef, pork and chicken are all excellent marinaded in mojo. I add a little evoo to the bottled stuff with lean meat like chicken breasts.

One thing they stress is that they use a Sour Orange.. I have not been able to find one in my hood..

If you ever make it across the river, they usually have bitter oranges at Twin Cities in Elizabeth

You can find bitter oranges and bitter orange juice in grocery stores in Hispanic hoods- c-town near me has it, so does my local Associated (both on ave c in nyc) Badia sells a shelf stable Naranja Agria (I have some in my fridge)

Don't forget to pronounce your marinade Moe-hoe it'll help with the tracking down the stuff you need.

The other day I marinaded a veal breast in some bitter orange juice, braised it with white wine and some aromatics and some stock, boned it, chilled it under weights, then seared and glazed it with the redux...and it kicked major ass. The bitter orange juice really brought something to the dish unexpected, it perfectly balanced itself.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I believe Goya sells a basic orange mojo marinade in most supermarkets with a decent Hispanic grocery section. I know I've seen it and bought it at my local Pathmark.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yes, we've bought the Goya before and it was good. We were lucky to have a source of kaffir

limes and they were an absolute winning substitute for seville/sour oranges, just wonderful.

There is nothing like a good mojo, in fact makes me wish I was going to have some tonight.

It is also great with chicken as most of you I am sure know. A hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I believe Goya sells a basic orange mojo marinade in most supermarkets with a decent Hispanic grocery section.  I know I've seen it and bought it at my local Pathmark.

My sister raves about this stuff, but I haven't tried it.

Better than lemon/lime for a sour orange substitute is regular orange juice kicked up with lime juice.

Goya also sells bottled sour orange juice as well as the premade Mojo and othe sauces/marinades. Mojo isnt complicated - juice, salt, garlic. Refinements to taste. I've bought bottled that was horrible and that was good. Havent tried Goya's but they are usually good. Got an orange and lime tree so I dont buy Mojo any more.

Pork is classic, chicken is good.

editted to add:

complimentary side dishes

black beans,

rice

or

moro rice

platanos tostones or maduros

yuca or boniato

spinach or other greens.

avocado

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Mo-Hoe! I love it. We have a large Hispanic population in my city, and Goya products are everywhere. In the meantime, I will plan to use my Badia brand (adding a bit of oil as Scott suggested) this weekend. I have both pork tenderloin and pork "country style" ribs in the freezer. Are country style ribs the same as pork butt, only sliced into "ribs"? Those should do nicely marinated in the Mojo.

And then, I will try making my own marinade, using the recipe linked above. I'm sure the fresh citrus will make it even better.

Tks everyone!

No problem- Hope you score some sour oranges!

I've been there 4 or 5 times and I've never NOT seen sour oranges. The quality of oranges does fluctuate though. A couple times they've been kind of old looking. I have no idea when sour orange season is or where they get them from.

Great for grilled pork, my favorite application. Another is a salad of sliced cucumber, hearts of palm, tomato and klamata olives - drizzle a little olive oil and mojo, refrigerate.

Really chills you out on a hot day.

That sounds awesome Emma.. I would love to hear more about the veal breast.. They sell it by me and have been waiting for some help..

They only have veal breast on the bone by me so that's what I worked with.

1 veal breast

Chicken stock

Dry white wine (I used pinot grigio..cheap stuff, but good)

3 carrots

2 onions

Bay Leaf

6 peppercorns

5 cloves Garlic cut into thick slices

anout 2 cups Mojo (badia)

salt

ground blk pepper

herbes de provance

Preheat oven to 300f (you could go lower but it's not nessesary)

1. Season the veal with salt and pepper, score fat and insert garilc slices, cover in mojo in zippy bag for up to 6 hrs (I did 4)

2. In roasting pan combine all ingredients except veal. Bring to a boil on the stove and taste to adjust sweetenss/ tarness balance. Don't adjust the salt yet.

3. place veal in pan fat side up and cover tightly with foil braise in oven for 3 hrs (you want it very tender almost pull-able...the fat needs to have converted.

4. when done carefully remove the meat from the pan juice and place on a cutting board to cool until you can handle it.

4.5. Strain the sauce from the pan (discard or eat the veg) reduce until thick and viscous. season to taste (this is a great sauce)

5. using a sharp boning knife try to cut the meat from the bone in one or two large pieces, remove th egarlic spears. Place these pieces on a plastic wrap lined sheet tray (or cookie sheet) weigh it down with another sheet and a big can and put it in the fridge to chill for a few hours.

6. Cut the pressed veal into steak like portions.

7. Heat a pan over med-high heat with a neutral oil (veg) and brown either side of these "steaks" they should warm through. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, whaev.

8.post pics in dinner (please) :smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I've been there 4 or 5 times and I've never NOT seen sour oranges. The quality of oranges does fluctuate though. A couple times they've been kind of old looking. I have no idea when sour orange season is or where they get them from.

When you're shopping a Hispanic market, look for something called Narajana. That's the Spanish fo the sour oranges you want. We get them here in Florida all the time. Also worth trying is a powdered spice mix called mojo seco (dry mojo). Very tasty!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

When you're shopping a Hispanic market, look for something called Narajana. That's the Spanish fo the sour oranges you want. We get them here in Florida all the time. Also worth trying is a powdered spice mix called mojo seco (dry mojo). Very tasty!

Actually 'naranja' means orange. Sour orange is 'naranga agria'pronounced na-RAHN-juh ah-LREE-ah (the LR is a rolled r).

Edited by scott123 (log)

Actually 'naranja' means orange. Sour orange is 'naranga agria'pronounced na-RAHN-juh ah-LREE-ah (the LR is a rolled r).

:blush: Oops, my bad! Thanks for the lesson! :smile:

• 1 year later...

I saw sour oranges today and grabbed them. I found and used this recipe for mojo from Saveur. It was great -- and it's pretty similar to the one above but doesn't use onion at all. Has anyone tried both with and without onions? I'd worry that the raw onions would make it too, um, raw.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I saw sour oranges today and grabbed them. I found and used this recipe for mojo from Saveur. It was great -- and it's pretty similar to the one above but doesn't use onion at all. Has anyone tried both with and without onions? I'd worry that the raw onions would make it too, um, raw.

Actually, I think the acid inherent in the citrus would knock the "edge" off the onions. One of my favorite way to eat raw onions is with a healthy splash of red wine vinegar, which seems to me to make them much milder. Yum!

• 10 months later...

I think that what happens is that the citric acid sort of "cooks" the onions, much like a ceviche.

I used Mojo (we call it Moe-Joe in our house for fun, but we are fans of malapropisms) on eggplant day before yesterday. Raw eggplant mojo, and a little salt and pepper.