• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'88 Mouton Rothschild

Bill Miller

As is sometimes said, there is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that if it has been cellared well, the wine will be absolutely lovely (see my latest tasting note that follows). The bad news is that this is most definitely not a wine to match with canapes, hors d'oeuvres of cheeses before the onset of a meal but one to be served with either a fine steak or roast beef, the steak ideally with nothing more than a maitre d'hotel butter or the roast beef with nothing more than an enriched pan gravy. If some of the wine remains after the main course, go for a well aged Parmesan or Manchego cheese, that served of course with bread and the best butter you can find.

Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac, 1988: With tannins well integrated with spicy wood and showing tempting currant, berry, espresso coffee as one sips and then, on the long finish generous tobacco and a light hint of mint that has crept in during recent years. Drink now-2020, perhaps longer. Perhaps not the greatest Mouton ever but certainly a damned good one. Score 93. (Re-tasted 30 Oct 2005)

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the '88 Mouton on this board recently, but nobody has been more accurate in his statements than Daniel Rogov in his post above.

If ever there was an example of a Bordeaux that needs a roast to make it shine...

Edited by BigboyDan (log)

Interesting, as this is close in age to the '82 Lynch Bages I will have for an upcoming dinner celebration.

Daniel, would you be so kind as to give me any information on this wine, and possible food pairings not mentioned above?

Cheers.

Sadistik, Hi.....

With re the 1982 Lynch Bages, my most recent tasting note follows. With regard to food-matches, with this one I'd go for a shoulder or leg of lamb, ideally served with mixed grilled root vegetables (carrots, whole small red onions, turnips, etc). As to sauce - something akin to a demi-glace.

Chateau Lynch Bages, 1982: This wine may not be as massive as when it was younger, but it remains full bodied and velvety, with an abundance of black currants, vanilla and even hints of mint. With layer after layer of complexity, the wine is literally perfect for drinking now. Now showing delicious milk chocolate and a hint of licorice on the long finish. Drinking beautifully now but don’t hesitate to cellar until 2008. Score 93. (Retasted 2 Aug 2002)

• 1 month later...

We opened the wine Friday nite. Daniel, your notes were right on!! I decanted (it had thrown some sediment) and let it breath an hour. Smooth tannins, tastes of espresso,current and berry. Smooth as silk. I did not find the mint but the bottle had not been stored properly--the cork was saturated but tight and not leaking. My mouth was full--great finish!! Served with a beef tenderloin roast. Our first course was creamy chanterelle soup with a '99 Marques de Caceras Rioja. Lovely evening.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.