• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Trucks in Northern NJ?

maddog5150

Coming from Queens, NY, there were a number of authentic tacos served out of mobile trucks - but usually parked in the same area all the time. The key is that they served authentic Mexican tacos (the kind you get when you cross the border into Tiujana), not like the ones you have to suffer through at Taco Bell, Jose Tejas or Chevy's.

Does northern NJ have any of this type of eatery? I've been to Los Tapotios on Main street in West Orange but their tacos are quite empty and they skimp on the contents.

Suggestions welcome!

You can get authentic tacos but not in trucks. In Jersey its all about the taquerias.

I'd check out La Batalla and Mi Pueblo in Bergenfield, El Paso in Englewood, and any number of places in Union.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks Jason! You've got me off to a great start with some recommendations.

If anyone else can tip me off to some authentic taco joints, please do so. Much appreciated.

BTW, I fished around on offthebroiler.com and you've got some great stuff on there. Keep it up!

In Hoboken , NJ on Willow and about 14th or 15th I always see this little yellow taco truck - anyone have info on this?

i passed that taco truck twice a day for 10 years and never saw any sign of life. while i have a hard time believing that hoboken lets a broken down food truck with flat tires sit on the street for 15 years, i have an even harder time believing that anyone is eating anything that crawls out of that thing. but that doesn't mean they're not serving tasty tacos.