• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Great Room, Good Food, Atlanta

Busboy

My parents will be celbrating their 50th on September 1; relatives will be gathering. We would love to find a space where 15-25 people could get together for a long, probably early-evening cocktail reception and dinner. With this group, food is probably not as important as gracious surroundings, though food is not unimportant. Cost is a consideration, but we're willing to spend a bit to make this happen.

We will consider anything from a pig-picking to a sit-down multi-course meal, and my wife and I have a deep horror of windowless private rooms, no matter how swank the establishment is otherwise.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

My parents will be celbrating their 50th on September 1; relatives will be gathering.  We would love to find a space where 15-25 people could get together for a long, probably early-evening cocktail reception and dinner.  With this group, food is probably not as important as gracious surroundings, though food is not unimportant.  Cost is a consideration, but we're willing to spend a bit to make this happen. 

We will consider anything from a pig-picking to a sit-down multi-course meal, and my wife and I have a deep horror of windowless private rooms, no matter how swank the establishment is otherwise. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Check out Villa Christina in Dunwoody -- I went to a wedding & reception there and thought it was nice. It's a very attractive location with food and service to match. I have no idea how much it might cost....

Edited by greg_in_atl (log)

Thanks for the reccs.

I'm wary of anything that calls itself a banquet facility, since I've never had a good meal in one (maybe I've just been going to the wrong ones :smile: ) and since the group will be relatively small for that type of thing.

Is there someplace under the trees? A modest-sized room in an old mansion? Something with character?

I'm on the pavement

. . . .

Is there someplace under the trees?  A modest-sized room in an old mansion? Something with character?

At lease 99% of the mansions in Dunwoody are new, not old. Until the late '60s, most of it was a single farm owned by the Spruill family. What's left of their spread is the Farmhouse Tea Shoppe, which does events, and is probably worth checking out. I'm not sure if they do alcohol, though.

There's another old house on the east side of Ashford-Dunwoody Road, just north of Perimeter Mall. I recall that they do events, but I can't remember if it's a food-related facility, or a place where you'd have to have a caterer bring in comestibles. Unfortunately, I also can't remember what it's called, but maybe someone else will. (It also might be a completely bogus memory.)

If you're willing to forego historical authenticity, there are a couple of restaurants on a nice lake -- again, just north of Perimeter Mall. One is a chain (Brio), but it seems like the other is something else. Again, my memory fails me, and I call on other members to help out.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

. . . .

Is there someplace under the trees?  A modest-sized room in an old mansion? Something with character?

At lease 99% of the mansions in Dunwoody are new, not old. Until the late '60s, most of it was a single farm owned by the Spruill family. What's left of their spread is the Farmhouse Tea Shoppe, which does events, and is probably worth checking out. I'm not sure if they do alcohol, though.

There's another old house on the east side of Ashford-Dunwoody Road, just north of Perimeter Mall. I recall that they do events, but I can't remember if it's a food-related facility, or a place where you'd have to have a caterer bring in comestibles. Unfortunately, I also can't remember what it's called, but maybe someone else will. (It also might be a completely bogus memory.)

If you're willing to forego historical authenticity, there are a couple of restaurants on a nice lake -- again, just north of Perimeter Mall. One is a chain (Brio), but it seems like the other is something else. Again, my memory fails me, and I call on other members to help out.

Heck, I remember "Old" Dunwoody -- my parents moved there in 1978 (I tracked them down in '79). My main hangout there is the Waffle House and, of course, my mom's dining room, so I don't know the area well.

Authenticity is nice, and it's not that unusual, in my experience, for someone to have held onto a farmhouse after selling the pasture for development that ends up as a restaurant, so I wondered if there was something like that around.

Lakes are nice, too, though and even a chain that gives us a deck and a view would work.

I'm on the pavement

horseradish grill might work. check the amenities section - you'll see that the garden room has plenty of windows.

another in town, although not so cocktail reception oriented, and probably windowless, would be the fogo de chao in buckhead. i would think that it would be a unique experience for a lot of the guests. you'd certainly get your fill of meat.

if you could go way otp, the barnsley gardens and ruins would be sweet...but not really convenient. that 75 mile drive would really suck on the way back in to town (assuming everyone was staying itp).

Just got home from shopping and went to check out The Pavillion of Dunwoody ... beautiful place with excellent parking next to the building itself ... if I were planning a special event for my family, I would put this at the top of my list since it is near my house ...

The Pavillion Catering

The Pavillion cuisine

we also offer our clients the option to have a customized seated dinner menu and a custom seated buffet menu. Our seated dinners, seated buffets and progressive buffets all come with butler style passed hors d'oeuvres.

Additionally, please ask about our popular cocktail reception menu which consists of a great selection of butler style passed hors d'oeuvres for the duration of the event.

As Dave mentions here:

next to Brio are P.F. Chang's and McCormick & Schmick Fish Restaurant ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It is 40 minutes outside of Atlanta but Serenbe Farms has a lovely farm and sustainable restaurant that is supposed to have some darn good food. I am sure the scenery is beautiful as well.

http://www.serenbe.com/home.html

Serenbe is a long way from the north side of Atlanta. It is lovely, but I'd only consider for the event in question if the guests were staying overnight (it's a B&B as well) as the drive back would be hideous. I've never stayed overnight, but the lodging does look very nice if you want to consider that option.

Note also that Atlanta will likely still be very warm on Sept 1, and since Serenbe is south of town likely warmer still, so outside sorts of activities not as appealing as they might otherwise be.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I guess I don't mind the hour drive for a good meal or eating outdoors during the summer. I am planning on going for my 30th birthday in August. Should be memorable.  :smile:

Might prove to be somewhat more difficult with a group of older people ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Though many say the Buckhead one is better, no complaints about the Dunwoody La Grotta. It's in the Crowne Plaza Rivinia, site my my wedding reception. Drunken family loved the hotel.

I may go to La Grotta for my 30th birthday...in a few years.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra