• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

On 3/18/2012 at 5:00 PM, Keith_W said:

We have a thread on steakhouses in KL and nobody has mentioned The Coliseum in Jln Tunku Abdul Rahman yet? My dad ate there when he was a kid, I ate there when I was a kid, and my old man assures me it has not changed one bit. It's really old fashioned in a colonial kind of way. Worth a look.

I loved, LURVED The Coliseum in my time there, and was always so grateful when my father took us out to the place. Their tit-pan steak (steak served on a HOT iron plate w/ sauce poured over it AT THE TABLE in front of you) was always such a treat and joy. There are even cartoons about the "regimen" of lifting up the edges of the white linen table cloth over one's front as the sauce was poured over the sizzling-steak-in-the-hot-plate. I, myself, chose (even when young) to use the (linen) napkins instead. :-)  BTW, for those interested, this place was an avatar of what is called Colonial Hainanese Cuisine in Malaysia. Their mulligatawny soup was another wondrous thing.

See here for a thread on this place. :-) ;-) 

ETA: PS - that was Batu Road, before the overzealous-colonial-era-scrubbing-govt-committees got to work renaming streets in KL.

huiray

huiray

We have a thread on steakhouses in KL and nobody has mentioned The Coliseum in Jln Tunku Abdul Rahman yet? My dad ate there when he was a kid, I ate there when I was a kid, and my old man assures me it has not changed one bit. It's really old fashioned in a colonial kind of way. Worth a look.

I loved, LURVED The Coliseum in my time there, and was always so grateful when my father took us out to the place. Their tit-pan steak (steak served on a HOT iron plate w/ sauce poured over it AT THE TABLE in front of you) was always such a treat and joy. There are even cartoons about the "regimen" of lifting up the edges of the white linen table cloth over one's front as the sauce was poured over the sizzling-steak-in-the-hot-plate. I, myself, chose (even when young) to use the (linen) napkins instead. :-)  BTW, for those interested, this place was an avatar of what is called Colonial Hainanese Cuisine in Malaysia. Their mulligatawny soup was another wondrous thing.

See here for a thread on this place. :-) ;-) 

huiray

huiray