• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goat's Milk

aprilmei

One of the markets is selling UHT goat milk at a very good prices (about US$1.25 for 500ml). Of course I bought some but what can I make with it? It's UHT so I don't think it would be very good for cheese or yoghurt, assuming I had the equipment or knowledge (which I don't). After googling it seems most recipes want raw goat milk.

What can I make? would it work for dulce de leche?

Thanks in advance...

I was going to say mke yogurt but it looks like that's out.

If I had some, I might serve it at room temperature with roasted fingerling potatoes in it with some thinly shaved fennel and some tarragon as a kind of summer soup.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Well... try it for yogurt... you're adding cultures, after all, so what's been killed is less relevant. Keep the UHT package sealed and heat it to 110F, then toss in the yougurt starter culture and let it sit at that temp for however long it takes to get the yogurt to your liking... 3 to 6 hours usually.

You could do panna cotta with it...

You could curdle it with lemon juice and end up with a chevre type cheese, albeit one that won't get much more interesting as it ages.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 8 months later...

It is excellent to make homemade cajeta (a mexican caramel sauce).

Bayless has a recipe in a few of his books and I know there are already some cajeta threads out there.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I posted a recipe a while back on the dulce de leche thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What about goat milk powder? I have a 1 lb bag... I tried dissolving a teaspoon in hot water (following the instructions) but clumps floated to the surface and wouldn't dissolve, even with vigorous stirring.

Edited by Fluffy (log)

Goat milk makes great flan.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I ended up making dulce de leche with it. When I poured it from the carton, it had a pale tan colour, it wasn't white like cow's milk. It made the most beautiful, deep brown dulce de leche - really lovely. It didn't turnout very thick although I simmered it for several hours (what a boring job that was!) but the flavour was delicious.

I ended up making dulce de leche with it. When I poured it from the carton, it had a pale tan colour, it wasn't white like cow's milk. It made the most beautiful, deep brown dulce de leche - really lovely. It didn't turnout very thick although I simmered it for several hours (what a boring job that was!) but the flavour was delicious.

That's why I do mine in a crockpot.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You made CAJETA.

Did you use Bayless's recipe or any other particular recipe, or did you just wing it?

Recipe for cajeta adapted from Rick Bayless

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You can maker a basic fresh chevre. it'll be more mild than one made with non-UHT milk but still servicable as a spread or a ricotta substitute in lasagna or the like.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

You can maker a basic fresh chevre.  it'll be more mild than one made with non-UHT milk but still servicable as a spread or a ricotta substitute in lasagna or the like.

Come to think of it, why is it that chevre is pure white but the goat's milk was pale tan? Is it because the milk is UHT?

Jaymes, I made the recipe from Saveur. It seems similar to the Rick Bayless one, but in Saveur the skin that forms on top is skimmed off.

You made CAJETA.

Did you use Bayless's recipe or any other particular recipe, or did you just wing it?

Recipe for cajeta adapted from Rick Bayless

This was also the first thing that popped into my mind as well. My husband brought back a very small amount of this incredibly delicious treat from Mexico. I suspect that he began his voyage with a whole lot more cajeta than he ended up reaching home with....

Cajeta is a caramel made with goats milk that has such a seductive flavor that it haunts you for ages afterwards. I suspect it's addictive because I've been jonesing for it since I had that little bit.

Another thing that came to mind was to try substituting goats milk for the buttermilk in a biscuit recipe.

One of the best inventions is 'squeeze cajeta.' It comes in a plastic bottle, so you can just turn it upside down and squeeze it and the stuff oozes out. Right onto your ice cream, toast, fruit, pound cake, mouth.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up some goat's milk from the farmer's market and I was thinking of making cheese or maybe yogurt with it but I dont really know how ... Anyone have a recipe or some tips?

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

If you want to make either/both yogurt and a very simple, mild, soft curd cheese, do the following:

Stage one, the yogurt:

You will need a small amount of yogurt as a starter - doesn't have to be goat yogurt, any plain yogurt will do. Heat the goat's milk until it reaches a boil, then turn off the heat and let it cool down until you can dip in a finger and count to 10, reasonably slowly. If you feel your finger is getting too hot before you reach 10, it's not cool enough yet. If you can comfortably keep on counting up to 13 or so, you need to heat it back up a little more (though better a little too cool than too hot).

When the milk cools to about the right temperature, mix a small amount with, say, half a cup of yogurt, adding more milk until it's quite liquid, then pour this back into the warm goat milk and stir well (you can just put the yogurt straight into the milk and stir, but I find that this way it mixes better).

Then cover and either wrap in plenty of blankets/towels, and/or put into a cool box - anything that will serve to insulate it and keep the heat in. If you're somewhere warm and it's a sunny day, you can even just leave it in the sun (covered!).

Leave it like that over night, or all day, about 8-10 hours is usually enough, but twice that will do it no harm if you're out or whatever.

Open it up and you have goat's milk yogurt.

Stage two, straining it:

By straining the yogurt you've now made, you can produce thicker 'Greek style' yogurt by straining it for, say, 2-4 hours, or by straining it over night you will end up with a soft curd cheese. Just find a clean tea-towel, piece of cotton cloth, cheesecloth, etc, lay it into a bowl, pour in the yogurt, bring up the corners of the cloth and tie together, then find a place to hang it up, with a bowl beneath. Leave it like that until the yogurt has achieved the consistency you prefer, then take it down and eat it! You will find that the yogurt that is in contact with the cloth will be thicker than that in the middle - you can just stir it up to even things out.

Oh, and you can drink the whey (the liquid that drains from the yogurt), or use it in making bread, etc.

Let us know what you do with it!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

A very good tutorial on goat cheese making is on this site:

Fias Farm

I have used her recipes many times and they are excellent.

You also might consider making cajeta, the caramel made from whole milk, rather from the canned, sweetened condensed milk.

There is a world of difference in the end result, I got the recipe from my neighbor, who is from Durango, Mexico (emigrated legally 34 years ago) and it is authentic, although she has modernized it by the way it is cooked. It is easy and well worth the effort.

Dulce de leche or cajeta

Of course, it you don't like cajeta/dulce de leche, there are many recipes for different goat cheeses.

More recipes here:

New England cheesemaking supply

And for recipes in which to use the finished cheese,

try this site.

The goat cheese and sundried tomato torte is wonderful.

I'm also curious about how long my yogurt would last. Let's say for example i have milk thats good for two more days, does that mean by the time I'm done making yogurt will it have gone bad?

And why would you want to dring the whey straight up execpt for the fact that it has lots of nutrients in which case it may be good to blend into a smoothie

Edited by jbehmoaras (log)

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

Making yogurt is a way to preserve milk. Yogurt will keep much longer than milk because the enzymes from the lactobacillis that convert the milk are also antagonistic to pathogens. They also will delay somewhat the growth of molds.

Drain the whey but do save it. Ricotta cheese is made from whey after being drained from whole milk cheese curds, usually cow or sheep's milk but it also works with goat milk or goat milk mixed with cow's milk.

There is a recipe for that at the Fias Farm web site also. check it out.

Edited by andiesenji (log)