• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting a Chocolate Room Built for Me

Chezkaren

My company is in the planning stages of a commissary for our 4 stores and I am going to get a separate chocolate room. Yippee! Anyhow, my question to you all is what temperature and humidity level is the ideal?

Karen

Chezkaren,

I had a chocolate room in my bakery. It wasn't temp-controlled, it was double insulated and I had an air conditioner in it. It worked fine, and if you are watching dollars during the renovation, this is much less expensive than installing a thermostatically controlled temperature system. We dipped every day, and never had a problem. I also had a cooling cabinet from Hilliard which worked wonderfully.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I clicked on this thread, thinking that someone wanted a room in their house made of chocolate, like the Indian prince in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

It just goes to show I'll believe anything of my fellow e-gulleters.

I clicked on this thread, thinking that someone wanted a room in their house made of chocolate, like the Indian prince in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

It just goes to show I'll believe anything of my fellow e-gulleters.

i'm a pastry chef and i thought the same thing :blink: ...but you never know on eGullet...stranger things have been done in the name of food :laugh:

Ooh, man, am I jealous! A couple of months ago there was a rumor that I was getting one, and then they decided to build 30 new rooms instead! Bastards! Where are their priorities?

I'm only 2 hours down the road. I'd love to see it when it's done!