• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wurst

suzz

Any recommendations on good places to buy interesting homemade sausages?  Does anyone make their own?  If so, any tips for the beginner?

Union still has a significant German population and a number of wurstgeschäfts:

Union Pork Store

2702 Morris Ave, Union, NJ

(908) 688-2628

Fritz's Pork Store

550 North Ave, Union, NJ

(908) 353-0650

Lutz's Pork Store Inc

1055 Stuyvesant Ave, Union, NJ

(908) 688-1373

Gaiser's European Style Provisions

2019 Morris Ave, Union, NJ

(908) 686-3421

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Piast Provisions in Garfield makes fantastic Polish sausage... kielbasa, etc.

800 River Drive, Garfield. I think it's fairly close to 46 and 21.

973-340-4722.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Esposito's in East Hanover does a good job with Italian sausage.

Esposito's Meats & Deli

Address: 90 Ridgedale Ave, East Hanover, NJ 07936

Phone: (973) 884-0151

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There are a couple of Polish meat markets along Van Houten in Clifton that I believe make their own sausage. One is called Korona, I'm blanking on the name of the other at the moment.

It's not wurst, but for good store-made Italian sausage with a nice fennel kick, there's Belgiovine's Deli at 714 Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've said it before, and I will say it again and again and again. People come from all over to the Swiss Pork Store on Fair Lawn Avenue in Fair Lawn. Great stuff, that!

Barth's Market, 41 South St. New Providence. (908)464-8555. Used to be called Barth's Pork Store. Then they spruced up, the outside. Lots of homemade German sausages. The kind of thing I'm sure you're looking for. Same as serveral of the other recommendations. It all comes down to your location.