• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Mexican

bethala

If you want to try some great tacos go to Paco's Tacos on Archer and Sacramento or Tio Luis on Archer and Western.  Tio Luis got voted the best tacos in Chicago by the Tribune and in my opinion are pretty darn good.  Paco's Tacos definitely is far superior though.  All they sell are tacos with either carnitas, asada, lengua, pollo, or sesos.   They put onions and cilantro on em' and that's it.  They are pretty  close to perfection with a bit of salsa verde and a hunk of avacado added (50 cents extra for a whole avacado!).  As far as Nuevo Leon, DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!  Taco Bell is better than the slop that kitchen turns out.

I've been to Paco's Tacos (43rd and Archer) many times over the years and while I definitely like it, it doesn't hold a candle to Nuevo Leon. It's not bad, but not really in the same league. And they're pretty different types of places. Paco's is a taqueria. NL is a restaurant.

For the onions-and-cilantro-only taqueria treatment, I definitely prefer La Pasadita, which has 2 locations, across the street from each other, on Ashland Avenue.

Paco's Tacos

4311 S. Archer Ave.

Chicago, IL 60608

(773) 247-1613

La Pasadita

1142 N Ashland Ave

Chicago, IL 60622

(773) 227-2203

La Pasadita

1141 N Ashland Ave

Chicago, IL 60622

(773) 278-0384

Tio Luis

3856 S Archer Ave

Chicago, IL 60632

(773) 843-0098

Taco Bell

various locations throughout Chicagoland :biggrin:

=R=

There are numerous El Famous Burrito locations both throughout the city and in the suburbs, and it's my favorite little Mexican dive chain. They offer two sizes of burrito, incase you don't feel the need to eat something bigger than your head, and the tacos are great. You can get you choice of onion and cilantro or lettuce, cheese, and tomato for most varieties of taco.