• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salad croutons

jayhay

There was a store-front run by a caterer here in Vancouver called the LAZY GOURMET. They had the best croutons - very garlicky & herby. A former resident of Vancouver has a craving for them & has asked if I can come up with a similar recipe for her.

Any really good recipes?

She has a website here. Maybe one of her cookbooks has the recipe. Or you could try emailing her.

I haven't tried hers, but we make our own here. All we do is take an assortment of bread, melt lots of butter, mix in lots of fresh, crushed garlic (and add any herbs you like). Pour over cubed bread, and toss until evenly distributed. Onto a baking sheet and into a 350 oven. Toss every few minutes until evenly browned. Crispy, garlicky goodness.

Thanks Pam.

My friend has tried the recipe given in Susan's "Mama Never Cooked Like This" book, but she says it doesn't compare.

I see you use only butter, not olive oil, maybe that's the secret.

I use a half and half ratio of butter and olive oil, plus garlic and herbs, baked at 350 for about 25 minutes. If you want crispier, you can deep fry them as well, but the baking sheet method works very well.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Bagels that are a day or two old make great croutons. And dip chips too. Just slice them up with a sharp bread knife and bake like croutons with your favorite seasonings added.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I just fry some smashed garlic cloves in a lot of olive oil, then pick out the garlic and add the cubed bread. I stir it around really thoroughly so the oil gets absorbed pretty evenly, then cook, stirring every now and then, till they're done on most sides. If I wanted them herby I think I'd add the herbs towards the end, unless they were sturdy herbs in which case maybe I'd fry and pick them out along with the garlic.

I used to work at the Lazy Gourmet...I have made those croutons a time or two...now if I can just remember how. I can tell you this much - it isn't going to be labour intensive nor is it going to involve any high end ingredients. These are what would be considered a freebie - make a buck of something you would ordinarily need to toss, like stale bread, so there is no way she would have let us use anything too posh to knock them up. The wheels are churning...where is that little notebook?

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

20 minutes later and I have it!... Here's a scaled down for home version...expands exponentially.

3 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (and probably any other odds and ends drying out in the walk-in)

8 slices French bread, wheat bread, bagels etc (odds and ends of whatever) cut into whatever size you like.

Melt butter, add oil garlic and parsley. Toss to coat and place on sheet pan in 350 degree oven until crisp.

Don't burn them...or you will have to dig to the bottom of the dumpster so you can hide the evidence before she shows up and freaks on you. And trust me, she looks in the dumpster. You have to bury your mistakes. She once asked me if I would consider shaving my arms so I could mix the muffin batter by hand. No, but if you get me some of those plastic gloves like a vet uses, I said, being a smart ass. Next day, brand spanking new box of cow inspections gloves lands on my bench. Oh yeah, baby. She's a pistol.

You said 'there was a store front caterer'...are they are no longer in existence?

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Thanks everyone!

Badiane, I was hoping someone connected to TLG would check in. I don't know if they're still catering, but the bistro/deli on 5th (?) isn't operating anymore.

Loved your note on the bottom of the recipe! :laugh:

Edited by jayhay (log)

Thanks everyone!

Badiane,  I was hoping someone connected to TLG would check in.  I don't know if they're still catering, but the bistro/deli on 5th (?) isn't operating anymore.

They are still catering, just the cafe is closed.

Cheers,

Anne

I make mine very similar to those of the Lazy Gourmet but when they are toasted and still hot, I toss them with some very finely grated fresh parmesan. Heavenly.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Excellent idea Anna. I'll have to try that next time!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 3 years later...

Hey folks --

Does anyone know the best way to store homemade croutons? I'm wondering if in the freezer is the best bet, and then a quick heat-up in the toaster oven? I'd love to just make a big batch and store them, rather than having to fry up fresh ones every time I just want a quick dinner salad...

Emily