• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chili Water"

Nam phrik, literally "chili water," are a variety of spicy Thai dips. These dishes are essential to Thai cooking, but my impression is that they're largely neglected, even by Thai restaurants in Thailand. I think this is probably due to the fact that these dishes are very regional (and by association, provincial!), however more often than not, they're also delicious. Anyway, if you're wondering what it is I'm talking about, I wrote an article about nam phrik which originally ran in Fiery Foods and which I have posted here at my blog. I really encourage people to try one of the recipes, they're generally quite simple, and are as close you can get to "real" Thai food.

Please do let me know if you have any questions about the recipes, or about nam phrik in general.

Cheers,

Austin

• 2 weeks later...
Nam phrik, literally "chile water", are a variety of spicy Thai dips. These dishes are essential to Thai cooking, but my impression is that they're largely neglected, even by Thai restaurants in Thailand. I think this is probably due to the fact that these dishes are very regional (and by association, provincial!), however more often than not, they're also delicious.  Anyway, if you're wondering what it is I'm talking about, I wrote an article about nam phrik which originally ran in Fiery Foods and which I have posted here at my blog. I really encourage people to try one of the recipes, they're generally quite simple, and are as close you can get to "real" Thai food.

Please do let me know if you have any questions about the recipes, or about nam phrik in general.

Cheers,

Austin

Great job describing the different nam phrik recipes. I just wish you could've had one for nam prik pao as well, or is that not part of the family?

Excellent, thanks!  I want to try these.  Do you think I'll have trouble finding  “maengdaa, a type of insect that secretes a fruit-like essence”?

You may indeed, depending on where you are, but even here in Thailand the maengdaa's "essence" has been synthetically reproduced and is available in small vials!

Austin

Do you think I could get some online? I did search for "maengdaa" but only came up with eight hits, and the first hit was your blog. Is there another name for it? Maybe not the name of the insect, but the name of what it secretes?

I googled "mengda" and found a few, mostly irrelevant hits. There is an English name, unfortunately I can't find my book that has it!  Where do you live?  Maybe I can send you a vial?

Austin

I may be wrong but I think the English name is giant water bug.

You're, right, as the name suggests, nam phrik phao ("roasted" nam phrik) are definately part of this group. In fact, your post reminds me that I was previously asked by somebody to do a "how to make" nam phrik phao on my blog. Was that you?  Regardless, I'll try to do one soon.

Austin

Yes that was me! I am looking forward to it... thanks.