• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Kitchen Shears?

Sony

Hi All,

My birthday is coming up, and I'm in the mood to snip, shred and spatchcock...so kitchen shears are on my wish list!

I don't want to cause anyone to break the bank, so can anyone advise on the best pair of shears? Some pluses would be:

-Take apart design

-Sturdy enough to cut through smaller chicken bones and cartilage

-around $20 or less

I've looked around some on Amazon, but it seems like people have hit-or-miss experiences with the same product-so I figured ya'll could offer some useful advice!

I happened to see a pair of Fiskars kitchen scissors on sale at Williams Sonoma for $8- if anyone's had good/bad experiences with those, please let me know. If good, that would be an affordable gift I wouldn't mind asking for :smile:

Thanks!

I have both Wusthof and KitchenAid Shears. I can attest to the fact that the KA shears are extremely sharp! The Wusthof is too of course, but somewhat pricier.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My favorites are these Messermeister kitchen shears.

They come apart for cleaning, and I really like the slightly offset shape -- it makes jobs like spatchcocking a chicken a lot easier.

I have a pair of Fiskars, and a pair of Wusthof. I still always go for the Messermeisters.

While not technically "kitchen shears" I love Joyce Chen shears. They are sharp and strong! You can cut through dowels and just about any bone, then turn around and make the tiniest snips of chives with ease. They don't come apart, yet I regularly put them in the dishwasher and they come out as clean and sharp as when I bought them.

Here's a link to them:

My Webpagehttp://www.viecokitchen.com/510220.htm

Edited by Pyewacket (log)

I have these, but I cannot find the price on this site. I hate stupid stuff like that, but give the toll free number a call, these are the best, they do everything. I take them apart and throw them in the dishwasher. I use them for anything except cutting hair...they're too big.

The Fiskar's kitchen scissors are so good, that I use my 20% off coupons at Bed Bath and Beyond to buy extra sets to take as gifts to friends in Mexico.

Definitely Fiskar's. I trim cilantro, cut through chicken bones, beef, trim the rosebushes, etc. etc.

From what I've heard from many is that the shears made by (and I can't beleive I'm typing the name) Cutco are the ONLY good thing to come out of that company. Don't know what differentiates them from other brands but many have said they are great shears.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

:biggrin:

I used regular Fiskars scissors (!) for at least the first ten years of my cooking life, then graduated to proper shears thereafter. But I was so impressed by the superb way the misused scissors had done the job that I never even considered any other brand of shears when the time came; still have the two that I bought all that time ago. The dishwasher still cleans 'em and I still can get them razor sharp.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Hi All,

My birthday is coming up, and I'm in the mood to snip, shred and spatchcock...so kitchen shears are on my wish list!

I don't want to cause anyone to break the bank, so can anyone advise on the best pair of shears? Some pluses would be:

-Take apart design

-Sturdy enough to cut through smaller chicken bones and cartilage

-around $20 or less

I've looked around some on Amazon, but it seems like people have hit-or-miss experiences with the same product-so I figured ya'll could offer some useful advice!

I happened to see a pair of Fiskars kitchen scissors on sale at Williams Sonoma for $8- if anyone's had good/bad experiences with those, please let me know. If good, that would be an affordable gift I wouldn't mind asking for  :smile:

Thanks!

I have 2 (because one is always "missing in action") plus those nifty Joyce Chen red-handled snippers which are great for a lot of things, including the dismemberment of herbs and such.

So I guess that makes 3.

My 2 "real shears" are Kershaw (big with lots of nooks, crannies and some things I don't even know what do do with) and Mondial. The Mondial shears are smaller; they tend to travel out of the kitchen for other duty and then get lost.

I don't cut my hair with them, though. (joke)

I actually also have poultry shears - Henckels, that stay locked and loaded in a knife slot. I think I could cut apart a pteranodon with them...

From what I've heard from many is that the shears made by (and I can't beleive I'm typing the name) Cutco are the ONLY good thing to come out of that company.  Don't know what differentiates them from other brands but many have said they are great shears.

I have a set of Cutco knives that were a misguided gift from my family. The knives are going to go on eBay (they are horrible!!!), but the shears are going to stay. They are sharp, precise, sturdy and well weighted, and beat any pair by any other maker I've tried. Only thing is, I think they probably cost a lot of money. But I can vouch for them - they are really good.

Hi everyone!

Update- I did end up getting the Fiskars as a gift- haven't used them yet, but they look decent, though the design reminds me a little of the 1st pair of kitchen shears I ever had (came with a set of cheap Farberware knives I got during college).

I'll probably end up keeping these for now- I don't want to seem unappreciative of a thoughtful gift, and I bet they'll be sturdier than my old ones. Thanks for your advice, and I'll keep these suggestions (and further ones) in mind for the future!