• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crustas: The Topic

Jerry Thomas didn't invent the Crusta, Santina did. What were Santina's own instructions, for the Crusta, rather than those in the Jerry Thomas book. And considering the lack of influence of Thomas' Crusta recipe/ information on subsequent authors its seems only natural to question everything, with regards to the Crusta.

Or, rather, Jerry Thomas said it was invented by Santina and we accept this. Since I think the JT recipe is the earliest of which we are aware, I'm not sure what basis you have for asserting that it does not reflect the formulation and practice of crafting that cocktail at the time Jerry Thomas set it down, other than your own supposition. If you have other evidence, then by all means trot it out and let's talk about it. Questioning is good. But just because one has questions doesn't mean the JT recipe should be tossed aside and disregarded. If it's the best we have, and we have no meaningful or contemporaneous contradictory information, claims or practices, I don't see why we wouldn't go with this recipe.

I also don't quite get your assertion that Thomas's Crusta formulation and instructions had little influence on subsequent authors. On the contrary, most of them seem remarkably in line with Thomas's formulation and instructions, especially with respect to the frosted rim and the use of a large piece of lemon peel lining the inside of the glass, except for the introduction of maraschino. Didn't you yourself add information to your beloved webtender wiki with a 1941 recipe which specifies "peel the rind in one piece ... then fit the lemon peel inside the glass"?

The reason I think that the twist, of the considerable length prescribed, is not neccessary is that it just appears to be an adornment, rather than an actual flavouring ingredient.

Have you ever had a Crusta made this way? Having had many with the full lemon peel, I can attest that it is a different experience altogether compared to the drink without -- and yes, this does include flavor, although that is by no means the only difference.

Any comments on the "Lin Crusta" theory?

You mean this stuff? A linoleum-like decorative wall covering invented in 1877? Why?

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

You mean this stuff? A linoleum-like decorative wall covering invented in 1877

That's EXACTLY what I thought of (being an old house "buff") when I first read "Lin Crusta"!

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

Another question I have is about the appropriate glassware for the Crusta.

Even using the smallest wine glass I have, there's no way the peel of half a lemon is really going to work here. Well, unless it is some massive orange size lemon.

I keep trying to decide on scale from the Thomas engraving.

Would the glass have been something like this?

Tiffin-Franciscan 17306-1 3 3/8" Cordial Glass (amazon link)

It really does look pretty close.

I assume, as with any peel, it should be cut above the glass immediatly prior to mixing the cocktail, allowing the lemon oils to scent and flavor the cocktail.

I'll admit that prior to this, I've always been confused by the Savoy recipe, and filled my Crusta (and crusta style) Cocktail glasses with ice. This week's project will have to be making myself a proper one (or two).

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Splificator,

Piece your head fragments back together Sir!-)

I am just throwing ideas out there, some of which are my own idle ponderings, and some more ridiculous ones that I recall from over the years (from actual people). They are not theories that I have been working on day and night, toiling on for years, some are just frivolous, but I am sure you have heard/ read even more absurd creation stories than even I could dream up.

The fact that most knowledge of Santini is derived from Thomas is an obstacle to getting to the truth (whatever that is), especially considering the doubt that you have previously helped cast on to Thomas' actual involvement in his own name-branded books. I do have trouble taking Thomas seriously, not knowing if his books contain his own words, and the bare-faced audacity of the man to be dead for the third edition.

As for the lemon peel in the Crusta, I do make it clear that it is my opinion, not based on anything tangible, just a feeling. And you are incorrect about the reason for me "ripping new ones", I reserve that for "but everyone makes them like that" and "all the books say that".

I don't feel the peel is that important to a Crusta, and I will continue to think that.

i]You might not think that the lemon peel is an essential part of the Crusta, but judging from the only evidence available nineteenth-century American barkeepers certainly did.

And they would have gotten their Crusta recipe from Jerry Thomas' book, right? So it could be seen as being Jerry Thomas' book backed up by Jerry Thomas' book, with star-witness: Jerry Thomas' book.

Cheers!

George