• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belcolade Chocolates

rlibkind

At my local SuperFresh in Philadelphia I spied a new (to me) brand of bulk chocolate: Belcolade. Web research showed this to be Belgian produced by Belcolade, a division of a larger Belgian firm, Puratos, which also has US plants and serves the baking and patisserie industries as well.

Anyone have experience with the Belcolade Belgian chocolate? How is it? It was a relatively bargain at $7.99/pound in the supermarket, assuming the quality is decent.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

i don't love it, but i've only had limited experience with it a long time ago...maybe they've improved?

also, from some other threads, you can get very decent prices on valrhona and other better chocolates from assouline & ting and other mail order places. better than $7.99/lb for belcolade, i mean.

Yes ,for 7.99 per lb you can get a good Valrhona one ,but I dont have experience with Belcolade so I can say its better ( but I assume yes :raz: ).

If they sell it at store near you just buy a little bit and tryed it out, sometimes is the best way to go , people can tell you what they like and dont like but at the end you will the one that decide on your taste.

Oh and online , you can find a Belcolade at 70% for 4$ per lb.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

I've tried a bag of their 66%. It wasn't my favourite. I found it a bit "smokey" tasting. I actually prefer dark Callebaut to the Belcolade. However, the pastry chef where I took a part-time course uses Belcolade all the time and loves it. He was raised in Germany I believe. I don't know if a European background makes a difference in preference.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I really liked belcolade. I tried it at the chocolate show and really liked it.

I do think it has a "smokey" taste or more acidic than Callebaut. It seems similar to El Rey but for a lot less money. I think I orded mine from www.chefswarehouse.com (search for belcolade).

I did a tasting with my family and friends (blind tasting) using felchlin 64%, becolade 70%, and E Guittard "Lever du Soleil" 61%. My family liked the becolade the best but they (and me) really like dark bitter chocolate.

Jeff

{edited to fix grammar}

Edited by jturn00 (log)

We used Belcolade in school, along with Cacao Barry. For the milk, I liked it. For the others -- dark (not sure of %) and white -- I prefer other brands based on flavor. For texture, I liked it.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

The Puratos rep brought me bags of their standard white, milk and semisweet late last year to try for a friend who's child is peanut and treenut allergic. She wants to start a chocolate business making nut free chocolates. Belcolade is the only one available here that I can find that is certified both peanut and tree nut free. The white was quite nice, the milk was fair, the semisweet had reasonable flavour but was way too sweet for my taste.

I have a bunch of little samples of their single origin and specialty blends at home, haven't gotten around to tasting them yet.