• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

zin - Crossroads District, Kansas City

I've been prompted from this other thread on the Heartland Forum to start up a dialogue about zin.

I hear that Jeffrey Scott is now the former chef at zin. There's a new guy in the kitchen.

I've been in a number of times over the past two years, and while my first visit under Chef Nacey was wonderful, I can't say that my experiences since have been quite as good. But, I haven't yet had an opportunity to check out the new chef - whom I think is the former sous chef under Scott. I think his name is Karl Martens.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm honestly not sure who the chef was when we went... June 11th, my birthday! It really was an excellent evening, although my standards are probably not as high as yours u.e.! :wink:

We had a scallop starter, although I don't remember much about it, the scallops were perfectly cooked and very tasty. I had a potato encrusted halibut, which wasn't the best dish of all time, but still very good... it was a little too filling for me. Chris had, I think, pork tenderloin with a risotto, and it was really excellent... very tender. And, I know, I know, I'm going to get teased for this, but really disappointed in the dessert menu! No inventiveness whatsoever! There was creme brulee, of course, and molten chocolate cake, of course! We did end up getting the molten chocolate cake even though I tried to get Chris to go next door with me to get desserts at 1924 Main! It came with a Guinness ice cream... blech! Not my taste. However, we sat for a very long time nursing our drinks and our waitress brought out a little chocolate crispy candy that was too die for... that should have been on the dessert menu! I had a Ruby Red Metropolitan (I guess the bartender makes her own infused vodkas every night, and Ruby Red was one of the flavors that night) and it was really excellent. It was definitely a lovely birthday evening!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

(I guess the bartender makes her own infused vodkas every night, and Ruby Red was one of the flavors that night) and it was really excellent.  It was definitely a lovely birthday evening!

That would be Susan - she has been a friend for nearly 20 years, has graced many, many bars about town, and is a treasure. If I had an ink and paper pulpit, she would get a feature.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

.... I tried to get Chris to go next door with me to get desserts at 1924 Main! 

I didn't know this was possible - I thought 1924 Main was strictly a three course prix fixe restaurant at dinner. Can you order dishes there a la carte?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

.... I tried to get Chris to go next door with me to get desserts at 1924 Main! 

I didn't know this was possible - I thought 1924 Main was strictly a three course prix fixe restaurant at dinner. Can you order dishes there a la carte?

I guess I don't really know... I know at lunch time you can either get 1 course, 2 courses, or 3 courses, so I just assumed you could do that at dinner too. Maybe not?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

However, we sat for a very long time nursing our drinks and our waitress brought out a little chocolate crispy candy that was too die for... that should have been on the dessert menu!

Can you describe this item in more detail? I think I may have had it the other night...

It was definitely a lovely birthday evening!

I don't know how I could have missed this - but happy belated.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account