• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I wouldn't worry about spoilers here. We always tell. If I'm remembering correctly, France took the gold, Japan took silver and US bronze. I don't remember on best chocolate and sugar. France got best table/pastillage. The Mexican team got the best sportsmanship award. Hurrincane Katrina wiped out their practice facility at home and they found another one in Wyoming, I believe it was, and pressed on. It was good to see the Japanese team do so well. They had a rough time. A couple of days before the competition, one of their teammates got stung by a scorpion on his hand. He worked anyway. Their showpiece came crashing down. The French team manager, Stephane Glacier went over and hugged their manager when it happened. Fierce competition but they also had a geniune desire to see everyone do well. I thought Russia did very well for their first time out.

So did anyone do classes? How were they? I could a couple. Will go through my notes and post more later. Day job callin' right now. :rolleyes:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Japan won 1st prize for the chocolate showpiece (it was their sugar piece that crashed) and France won for the best sugar showpiece. Both pieces were remarkable. France also took first (and a monetary prize) for best degustation, almost a clean sweep.