• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

21 for 21 in 21 for my 21st

Shalmanese, I love how this thread is turning into a kind of memoir about where you live right now, it's like a farewell present to yourself. I can't wait to see how the dinner is going to turn out!

The chicken shop - only sells chicken and other poultry related products. This seems to be a uniquely Australian thing. They're present in almost every shopping centre but I don't really know how they can support themselves given that every butcher also sells chicken stuff. Still, they have 6 chicken carcasses for $1.50 so they're great for stocks.

Not uniquely Australian, we have them in the Netherlands too (they are called poelier, which is funny, because there's no Dutch word referring to poultry that even sounds like that) although they are unfortunately slowly dying out.

Grr... ok. So the story is someone apparently managed to climb up onto the 2nd floor balcony from the 1st floor balcony, accessed the only unlocked door in the house which was the balcony door of my mothers room. They rifled through the room, took a bag, a digital video camera and the keys plus probably some other stuff we don't know about yet.

We were all downstairs at the time and mum heard the car start up. She got up stairs to see someone drive off in it. Grr...

We've spoken to the insurance people, we're getting a rental car tomorrow morning but everything's been pushed back about 3 hours. Hopefully, that wont affect much.

PS: I am a guy.

Crap, that sucks! Glad to hear you're all okay though, being in the house at the time this happened.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I'm glad you had time to unload all those groceries before the thievery---keep us posted.

This is a great picture-tour of all the places to shop, and in such easy walking distance, as well. So, DO you? Walk, that is. I assume you drive to the location, but then do you hustle back to the car with bags? Push or pull a little cart? Interesting trip, that.

And about all the snooty butchers---are they really snobbish in that they ignore customers, pretend you're not there, or jostle each other to the front to accept your lowly custom and tribute?

Or is that just your way of referring to them as very upscale, the way my family refers to several stores in our area---we call them Gucci Groceries. They always have truffles and Kobe and glorious cheese selections. DD shops there sometimes, because she makes all the bread for one, but we don't make it a habit when we have so many other nice stores to choose from, with all but the most esoteric ingredients for a MUCH better price.

I'm glad you had time to unload all those groceries before the thievery---keep us posted.

This is a great picture-tour of all the places to shop, and in such easy walking distance, as well.  So, DO you?  Walk, that is.  I assume you drive to the location, but then do you hustle back to the car with bags?  Push or pull a little cart?  Interesting trip, that.

And about all the snooty butchers---are they really snobbish in that they ignore customers, pretend you're not there, or jostle each other to the front to accept your lowly custom and tribute?

Or is that just your way of referring to them as very upscale, the way my family refers to several stores in our area---we call them Gucci Groceries.  They always have truffles and Kobe and glorious cheese selections.  DD shops there sometimes, because she makes all the bread for one, but we don't make it a habit when we have so many other nice stores to choose from, with all but the most esoteric ingredients for a MUCH better price.

I drive to the location and then usually hit the greengrocer, then the butcher, return to the car with the goods, then pop into the other green grocer and finally the supermarket.

The semi-snooty butcher is actually really nice and friendly and is willing to chat with you about what your about to make. The asian butcher is fairly standoffish and I've never been to the organic one. The very snooty butcher I didn't show really IS snooty and you feel like you should be paying them money just to stand in the store.

Thanks for all your support guys.

T -24 hours and my damn starter isn't coming back to life in this cold weather so we'll see how that works out. Don't know if I'll have much time to post before tomorrow.

Ergh, finished prep at 1am. We got about 80% of the stuff I wanted to do done but it included all the big stuff. The chocolate cake was the main hurdle. It looks like ass but it should taste delicious. I'm sure my second time at making a birthday cake will be more successful.

Sweet sleep now. For 6 hours. See you on the flip side.

edit: My feet & back are killing me. who would have thought making over 500 plates could be so hard? Much respect to those of you who do this every day.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

Good luck with the car, cooking, and the move. I find everytime I move overseas it's usually preceeded by disaster or strife of some sort, so hopefully this is yours out of the way.

....waiting anxiously for the photos....only 10 hours of le grande bouffe left now eh?....

Holy crap. I've been up 24 hours now, I've had 21 standard drinks over the course of the day so I'm extremely drunk. We only ended up making about 18 courses. The spirit was willing but the stomach was weak. Pictures up once I sleep this off an recuperate.

I've eaten more good food in one day than anyone has a right to eat in 1 year.

Holy crap. I've been up 24 hours now, I've had 21 standard drinks over the course of the day so I'm extremely drunk. We only ended up making about 18 courses. The spirit was willing but the stomach was weak. Pictures up once I sleep this off an recuperate.

I've eaten more good food in one day than anyone has a right to eat in 1 year.

I was worried when I saw your menu and your shopping list that you might not be downscaling portion sizes enough to make 21 possible. Let's just say I've learned that lesson the hard way!

Congrats on making it through!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I was worried when I saw your menu and your shopping list that you might not be downscaling portion sizes enough to make 21 possible.  Let's just say I've learned that lesson the hard way!

Congrats on making it through!

Yeah, I was actually worried for a while that there might not be enough food! A combination of things were to blame. I put the dips out early and people just kept munching on them and filled up quite a lot on that early in the morning. There was on average only about 15 people throughout the day as some people came and others left and I delegated a lot of the plating to other people so they were trying to portion them as if they were main dishes or appetisers rather than tiny bites.

I'm just going to do a raw photo dump for now. I'll come back later and do a proper commentary:

Pancake Mix

IMG_4150.JPG

Pancakes

IMG_4156.JPG

Pita Chips

IMG_4154.JPG

Dips

IMG_4158.JPG

Bread

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

First drink of the day, Margarita with Navel Orange Sorbet. Quite spectacular.

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

Carrot Soup with Carrot Foam and Chives

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

Oysters with Verjus Granite

IMG_4168.JPG

This has to be the best birthday present in the world!

IMG_0409.JPG

Duck Breast & Thai Salad

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

Braised Lamb Shanks with Polenta & Gremolata

IMG_0421.JPG

Slow Roasted Wagyu Brisket with Coleslaw

IMG_0423.JPG

Wild Mushroom Risotto with Truffled Cheese

IMG_0433.JPG

Sunset

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Tuna, Salmon & Kingfish Ceviche with Ginger and Passionfruit

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

Kiwifruit-Tamarind Sorbet & Navel Orange Sorbet

IMG_0444.JPG

Bread & Butter Pudding

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Coca Cola Chicken

IMG_0455.JPG

Rack of Lamb with Spinach, Arugula & Walnut Salad and a Chimichurri dressing

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0461b.JPG

Champagne

IMG_0515.JPG

Fireworks

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4184.JPG

Chocolate Cake - Chocolate Sponge Cake with Hazelnut Dacquoise, Marinated Strawberries and Whipped Caramel Ganache & Sour Cream filling, Caramel Ganache glaze.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

Granny Smith Creme Brulee

IMG_0561.JPG

Breakfast: Bacon, Eggs, Truffles.

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

Unfortunately, everyone was too drunk to get a photo of the wagyu burgers but they were quite something.

Wow! Who did the dishes? That was quite the culinary triumph! I try not to cook when I'm drunk, unles I'm really, really drunk then I lose all inhibitions and show some real genius...I guess the same is true to you :biggrin: You rock!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Oh my goodness. That is just amazing. You have some very lucky friends and family and I am sure the memory of this party will linger for a loooong time! Simply amazing. Having done a bit of 'cooking for crowds' myself I know how stressfull and tiring it can get.. I hope that besides all the hard work, you were also able to enjoy it!

Be very proud of yourself and have some well-earned rest!

p.s. I just love a menu which lists braised lambshanks as a 'morning snack' :laugh:

Shalmanese: While I plan to bide my time between this week and the unfolding of your 42nd birthday over the course of 42 hours with 36 courses, I DO look forward to seeing what you do when you are twice the age you are today.

I have seen the title of your thread every once in a while, but admit that I look at this forum too seldomly. It is usually on birthdays that a glance is worthwhile and I must say this really is one of the best here at eGullet. In so many ways, you respond fittingly to the idea that one's 21st year can be a time of momentous transition, of looking forward with excitement and looking back with pleasure at what means the most: coca-cola chicken, home and great friends.

What you accomplished is so impressive and looks like such fun! I hope Seattle is ready for you and that there's a seat at Salumi with your name on it before graduation.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'm speechless and in awe. Happy birthday and congratulations on an amazing job done!

Good luck with your move to Seattle and when you settle in, come on up to Vancouver for more food adventures!

Quentina

Well done! Thanks for sharing the planning and the actual event with us.

Good luck with your move to Seattle. I'm sure you've already found that you'll have lots of kindred spirits in this part of the world.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Cheers,

Anne