• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon ice

dbrociner

Its perfect weather for Italian ice, specifically lemon ice. I'm in east hanover and don't know where to go. If I were in Elizabeth I'd go to the place on 4th St. "down the berg". Anyone know of a good vendor in Morris County?

they've got Grey Goose Citron on ice down at Copeland in mo-town. :biggrin:

Well, I now know where not to go. McCool's 26 Main St. Madison, may have the worst lemon ice I've ever eaten. Don't think I've ever had gummy lemon ice before, not to mention the thing had a chemical flavor. I'm looking for real lemons, pits included. I'll have to keep looking.

I've heard awful things about McCool's-- not just their product but their ownership. It may have changed hands since then though.

I'd also like to know where to get a good lemon ice in Morris, I'm not able to think of any place off hand. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

I've heard awful things about McCool's-- not just their product but their ownership. It may have changed hands since then though.

I'd also like to know where to get a good lemon ice in Morris, I'm not able to think of any place off hand. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

The part about the ownership isn't surprising. They have a sign up that says something like "food allergies cannot be accomodated". There's got to be better way to say that, something less confrontational.

Actually I know of a great place but it's in the heart of a very un... well not nice area in East Orange in an "Italian club", you can ask around about it. They have killer Italian Ice (pun intended?!) but if you don't have a good car alarm don't go there. Pits, shaved zest the whole 9 yards. I could show you but I don't know the street it's on unless I drive to it, it's behind bloomfield ave by the parkway about 2 blocks in.

The 2nd place is Louis Ting-a-Ling's over on Bloomfield Avenue if it's still around.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

If you get a chance Ms. Mouze - do the drive by and get us the add'y; I go to the Home Depot in that nabe all the time and started a thread way back when on water ice... Rita's, Rita's, Rita's.

Would gladly drive (shields up!) for some 'o the real deal.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

If you are ever in Lyndhurst the Lyndhurst pastry shop makes killer Italian ice.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Here, Rich...?

866-242-3139 x27184 (201) 939-3951

256 Ridge Rd

Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

Is on my way home - will give a try, soon; Thks!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

That's it. They have great to excellent flavors. Enjoy and let us know how you like it.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Try Ralph's on Livingston Avenue across from the Shop Rite in Livingston.

Will try this today. Thanks.

The closest Rita's for me is the one in Berkeley Heights. I know that there's one somewhere off Rt. 80 around Denville I think.

If someone can get the name of that place in EO I'd go there, no problem. Sounds like the kind of place I'm looking for.

Went to Ralph's this afternoon. Very good lemon ice. Not too sweet. Bits of lemon zest in the mix, no pits. A little bitterness and lots of lemon flavor. Makes what I had yesterday in Madison look like something that came from outerspace.

Ralph's Italian Ices, 498 S. Livingston Ave., Livingston (973)992-2441.

Went to Ralph's this afternoon. Very good lemon ice. Not too sweet. Bits of lemon zest in the mix, no pits. A little bitterness and lots of lemon flavor. Makes what I had yesterday in Madison look like something that came from outerspace.

Ralph's Italian Ices, 498 S. Livingston Ave., Livingston (973)992-2441.

So, how duz it compare to DiCosimo's in the Burg?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

It took me years before I started going to Rita's. Rita's bought out Jackie's Italian Ice in Belleville, where I remember having the best Italian ice ever. It was just a few blocks from my uncle's car dealership.

The Lyndhurst Pastry Shop on Ridge Road, right next to the Kingsland NJ Transit station, does a fantastic lemon ice, zest bits and all. I can't speak for the pastries, but the line has been long these hot nights. It's served via a little window on the left side of the building.

Not Morris, but worth it if you have to be around Lyndhurst. ^_^

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

There is a place on Maywood Ave in either Hackensack or Maywood just off of Essex St, but before you get to the train tracks. I think it may be called "Clyde's." They have some of the best Italian Ice I have ever tasted and is well worth the trip.

The lemon ice is full of flavor and zest and everything that makes for perfect lemon ice!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Yes, that is Clyde's on Maywood Avenue right after the tracks and right before Myron's? some company and though Clyde's Ice Cream was nothing to write home about -- I love... no LUST? their Italian Ices...YUM! :wub: Anyhow, see my last post also on this topic: Louis Ting-a-Ling's over on Bloomfield Avenue in the Oranges as well. :blink:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

there are Rita's in Pequannock and Rockaway: http://www.zipmath.com/SL/slm.cgi?LOC

and if you buy the lemon ice they will contribute a portion of the profits to Alex's Lemonade stand for cancer research

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The Lyndhurst Pastry Shop on Ridge Road, right next to the Kingsland NJ Transit station, does a fantastic lemon ice, zest bits and all. I can't speak for the pastries, but the line has been long these hot nights.

I can speak for the pastries...very good!! I buy their Biscotti often to give to business liasons....leaves them happy :wink:

So, how duz it compare to DiCosimo's in the Burg?

I always thought of DiCosimo's as the gold standard and I never knew their name, except for having seen you mention it here on the board. The place was always "that place down the 'burg". I haven't been there in a while. I need to get back down there and have some ravioli at Spiritos and a lemon ice for dessert.

Between 220-240 Maywood Ave it's 2 doors down from my MIL! (You really can NOT miss the sign in front!) Maywood Ave, Maywood, NJ 07607

Went to Rita's in Berkeley Heights this afternoon. Very similar to Ralph's, same texture with bits of lemon zest. Lacking in that little hint of bitterness that I like in lemon ice. Lacking also in strong flavor. Not too sweet, a plus. As mentioned before this is a chain and they are all over the state. Worth checking out.

Rita's, 412 Springfield Ave. Berkeley Heights. (908)464-0200.

• 2 weeks later...

These are the two addresses I have for Clyde's:

Clyde’s Ices & Ice Cream Co

48 Gaston Ave, Garfield, NJ

(973) 546-2760

Clyde’s Italian Ice & Ice Cream

246 Boulevard, Hasbrouck Hts, NJ

(201) 393-0072

I think the Maywood location we went to last night is actually "Kev's Clyde's" which is a distributor for Clydes but not actually related to the other two stores. I found the lemon flavor to be not as intense as I like, but the Watermelon and Mango flavors were really good:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/07...-dining-clydes/

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host