• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lardo di Colannata (Calannato)

chefadamg

Lardo di Colannata(o), to me....6-12 month Cured pork fat back w/ herbs. Apparently a profound, ethereal culinary experience. After reading Bill Bufords book "Heat" ( a great book about many things...Mario Batali included) I am facinated to know more about this product.

Experiences, recipes and musings wanted. I MUST learn how to make this incredible, venticle stiffining fat of the Gods. I'm also in search of the "perfect" pig...if there is one, to provide his backside, so I might persue my curing delights. (i.e. a mail order heritage or heirloom pig site who can provide me the fat back needed in the USA)

Lardo making to commence next week. I'll post some pictures when I start.

First and MOST IMPORTANT step is to find pure heirloom pigs to give me that high quality tasty fat. I've oredered my fat back from CawCaw Creek farms in South Carolina. cawcawcree farmsShould arrive next week. I'm still settling on an herb/salt mixture for the cure, so any recomendations would be great.

I could use some help on the technique though. My initial plan is to cure the fat in a plastic container in the fridge(seeing I have no basement or other cool area) Any other thoughts??

Chef: Caw Caw Creek looks terrific (and its only a hundred miles from me). Got to get some pig from them. Can you list your curing ingredients and method? I may follow you. Have eaten lots of lardo in Italy and its a unique eat.

i made my lardo using a brine solution. this is Arnad style, not Colonnata, since to be Colonnata it has to be done in marble. No matter...Arnad style is similar and equally fantastic.

Make a 25-30% salt solution (250g salt to 1000g water). Boil the water, and add your herbs. I used sage, rosemary, juniper, bay leave and some garlic cloves. Turn off water, cover and let steep for a few hours. Use this solution to cover your lardo that is held in a plastic tupperware or metal pan in the fridge. Cover. Flip the lardo every month. Do this for 3 months.

Take out of brine, rinse quickly, and eat. It is fantastic.

Look in teh charcuterie thead for my pictures.

jason

Edited by jmolinari (log)

Jason:

Sounds like a good recipe..your pictures are great. I've always thought the method used in Colonnato(besides the marble of course) is a "dry" rub to start...using salt and various spices. The salt pulls water from the fat and makes a "natural" brine solution so you don't need to add a liquid...have you tried that method??

It does seem to make sense to add the brine "just in case"...and I'm sure it speeds the process as well.

I was also thinking of "layering" 1 inch strips(on top of each other) w/ the salt and herb rub. I believe they do that in Italy?? But I'm not sure.