• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Cavas

hazardnc

I love cava and Italian Prosecco.  I also love cheese.

Do either of these sparkling wines go well with cheese?  If so, what should I buy?

IMOP--"Boy do they ever!!!"

As for type of cheese--well I would say that just about any cheese works with these wines.

I believe that attempts to find a "perfect" match in wine and food is a noble but mostly futile endeavor.

With fine wines--simple foods work best.

With fine foods then go with simple wines.

Too many pairings IMOP-clash--that is in the search for the perfect match--two great (complex) entities end up often canceling each other out.

so

prosecco and cava are basic simple wines--they are refreshing and immensely enjoyable.

as a rule of thumb drink em with the cheeses from where they were produced.

I love manchego with cava ( works with prosecco too). Prosecco and pecorino are nice.

any lighter salty cheese. I would stay away from really strong aged cheeses (some cheddars) though some good muenster and a sparkling wine would be nice.

it would be great fun to get a bottle of cava and a bottle of prosecco and a range of small amounts of different types of cheeses--have some friends over and have fun finding what works and what doesn't.

(and report back, of course)

it would be great fun to get a bottle of cava and a bottle of prosecco and a range of small amounts of different types of cheeses--have some friends over and have fun finding what works and what doesn't.

(and report back, of course)

That was my intent exactly - though I cannot promise a great report back since I lack the skills for great writing. I have bottles of both cava and prosecco on hand, so I am off to the market for the cheeses.

Thanks

If you stay with a regional theme...I would agree with pairing Cava up with Manchego ;they are also suprising delicious with mild blue cheeses as well.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG