• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Lunch in Birmingham

Any recs for a respectable lunch in Steel City? Unfortunately all of Frank Stitt's places are closed on Sunday. We will have 4 kids with us but we're not looking for chxn fingers....thank you.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Unfortunately, both Bottega Cafe and Little Savannah are not open on Sunday but there is Bright Star with its hearty Greek food, trout almondine, beef tenderloin tips, Greek moussaka and a variety of salads and sandwiches. A little to the south of Birmingham, but well worth the trip.

There is also Dreamland Barbecue with its sinfully delicious BBQ ribs ...

It appears that many Birmingham restaurants seem to be closed on Sundays.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Unfortunately, both Bottega Cafe and Little Savannah are not open on Sunday but there is Bright Star with its hearty Greek food, trout almondine, beef tenderloin tips, Greek moussaka and a variety of salads and sandwiches. A little to the south of Birmingham, but well worth the trip.

There is also Dreamland Barbecue with its sinfully delicious BBQ ribs ...

It appears that many Birmingham restaurants seem to be closed on Sundays.

Bright Star! Bright Star! Bright Star!

We make it a point to stop at Bright Star every time we pass B'ham (actually just o/s of B'ham) and schedule our trips so that we hit that area at lunch time. They can get very busy on Sunday w/ the "gay, after church crowd" so as long as you can beat the Baptists to lunch you should be okay. ":^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Actually ended up at Jim n Nicks BBQ. The fried catfish was fine but the smoked beef brisket was miserable and the pork ribs were dull as dirt. The end.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Sorry it didn't go well. I used to spend a good bit of time in B'ham and Jim n Nicks was always one of my favorites but mainly for the pork, pig in the garden or onion rings. I understand from friends that Pat James Full Moon B-B-Q continues to be the best in town but I haven't tried it recently and everybody seems to have a different preference for their cue.