• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapioca Maltodextrin

bunny

2 hours ago, cwfenn said:

An FYI - National Starch is now called "Ingredion".  They still do samples as well.  They provided me with maltodextrin and agar.  Plan on using it in home cooking and I'm going to use the agar in my microbiology class as well.  I wonder how many will want to eat something made with the same solidifying agent that is used to grow bacteria!

Agar was used for human consumption long before it was adopted as a culture medium.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, cwfenn said:

An FYI - National Starch is now called "Ingredion".  They still do samples as well.  They provided me with maltodextrin and agar.  Plan on using it in home cooking and I'm going to use the agar in my microbiology class as well.  I wonder how many will want to eat something made with the same solidifying agent that is used to grow bacteria!

Agar is a very common ingredient in home cooking. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog