• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver Queen corn ice cream

here it is:

3 ears silver queen corn, scraped, milked and cobs cut into 3-4 pieces

2 cups heavy cream

1 vanilla bean

15 eggs yolks

1 1/4 cup sugar

3 cups full fat buttermilk, if you can find it

generous pinch of salt

-combine corn and heavy cream in food processor, quise till chunky. heat with vanilla bean til scalded

-whisk yolks, sugar, and salt til pale and ribbon-y. temper with corny cream. I don't continue to cook, but this is your choice.

-cool a bit, then add buttermilk. allow to sit at least six hours, preferably overnight

-strain and freeze

Peanut Butter and Bacon Blondies

butter/flour a 9x13 pan

350 oven

4 slices of bacon

2 ounces soft butter

8 ounces natural peanut butter

1 1/4 cups brown sugar

generous pinch of salt

2 eggs

1/4 heavy cream

1/2 T vanilla extract

1/2 t baking powder

1/4 t baking soda

1 1/2 c ap flour

-slice bacon into thin strips and render til crispy. drain, cool, and chop fine.

-cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, salt and bacon til smoothe ( it will look kinda gross)

-add eggs, cream and vanilla

-combine dry ingredients and add to mix slowly

-press into prepared pan and bake till poofy and still soft in the middle

-allow to cool before cutting

I know this is off topic, but I couldn't resist:

gallery_8173_3226_10093.jpg

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Thanks so much! If only the low fat buttermilk is available, which I'm afraid is the case, would you sub a bit more cream, or just use it as is? And since you said the bacon didn't come through as much as you'd hoped, do you think leaving some crisps unpureed would be a good thing?

That's 1/4 cup on the blondie heavy cream, right?

Cute shoes, phlawless....I loved your blog!

Can you put these in recipe gullet? I'm out of town and need to find them when I get back...and I am notoriously bad with the search engine ! :raz:

Dumb question alert:

1-Fifteen egg yolks? Really?

2-Are you churning with an ice cream machine at all or just sticking the custard in the freezer?

Thanks for writing this out!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Cute shoes, phlawless....I loved your blog!

Can you put these in recipe gullet? I'm out of town and need to find them when I get back...and I am notoriously bad with the search engine !  :raz:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find Recipe Gullet...help?

Dumb question alert:

1-Fifteen egg yolks?  Really?

2-Are you churning with an ice cream machine at all or just sticking the custard in the freezer?

Thanks for writing this out!

1-Yes, 15...it makes it much smoother and richer

2-In one of those Cuisinart freezers

One more question- is Maple View Farms buttermilk full-fat? If not, what brand did you use for this recipe?

Love, the shoes, by the way....  :biggrin:

Maple View is indeed full fat

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Thank you very much for sharing these, phlawless! I loved your blog and am eager to try these recipes.

Coincidentally I have Karen Barker's "Sweet Stuff" cookbook out of the library now and have also been enjoying looking through it.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hooray!

I second the question - what to do if the only available buttermilk is 2%fat? QS to full volume using sour cream?

Hubba hubba on those shoes, oh my!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

3 ears silver queen corn, scraped, milked and cobs cut into 3-4 pieces

2 cups heavy cream

1 vanilla bean

15 eggs yolks

1 1/4 cup sugar

3 cups full fat buttermilk, if you can find it

generous pinch of salt

-combine corn and heavy cream in food processor, quise till chunky. heat with vanilla bean til scalded

-whisk yolks, sugar, and salt til pale and ribbon-y. temper with corny cream. I don't continue to cook, but this is your choice.

-cool a bit, then add buttermilk. allow to sit at least six hours, preferably overnight

-strain and freeze

Am I wrong to conclude that this recipe may be unsafe for consumption for certain people since the egg custard isnt coooked to sterilize and there are no instructions for rapid cooling before refrigeration.

Warm uncooled IC custards should not simply be refrigerated but must be force cooled in Ice baths especially with 15 egg yolks involved.

This is weird: I generally don't click on headings that are recipe-related, but something drew me to this one ...

Who's the designer? Of the blondies, of course. (Okay, okay, I give! The shoes! )

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office
This is weird: I generally don't click on headings that are recipe-related, but something drew me to this one ...

Who's the designer?  Of the blondies, of course.  (Okay, okay, I give!  The shoes! )

LOL

AND the blondies !

Is that recipe available?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find Recipe Gullet...help?[...]

RecipeGullet

Did that help?

yes it did...many thanks.

But do I have to retype the whole thing or can I cut/paste some way that I don't see (idiot, again)?

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By HungryChris
      This is a quick refrigerator marinade that will last for months in the fridge. They are great as a snack or a side or on a tray with similar items. 2 pounds will make roughly a quart.
      Start by brushing off or rinsing off any dirt and trim longer stems so the mushroom is pleasing to the eye. Keep in mind that they will shrink, so only cut up the ones larger than a golf ball (unless you want them sliced). Put 1 TBS kosher salt  and 1/2 cup white vinegar in a sauce pan, add the mushrooms and enough water to float them. Put on high heat to boil.
      In a clean quart jar, add 3 or 4 cloves of peeled garlic that have been slightly crushed (I use the flat side of a knife under the heel of my hand to do this), 1 TBS kosher salt, 1 TBS dried dill weed and a few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
      Once the mushrooms have come to a boil, give the pot a stir and  examine the surface of the boiling liquid for any dirt that may have escaped your attention and skim the  foam it is floating on if you see any. Boil for about 5 minutes until you notice the color change from white to beige then pour the contents of the pot into a colander to drain. Allow them to cool until they can be handled and add them to the jar you have prepared along with a few bay leaves. I like to add a few layers of thinly sliced onions, but that is optional. When the mushrooms are all in the jar, pour in enough white vinegar to fill the jar half way to the top, then add tap water to 3/4 from the top and top off with a well shaken Italian dressing ( I use Ken's Italian Dressing and Marinade). Secure the lid and shake until you see that all the salt has dissolved. Refrigerate and give the jar a shake every day or so. The mushrooms will be ready in about 3 days.
      HC

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!