• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver Queen corn ice cream

phlawless

here it is:

3 ears silver queen corn, scraped, milked and cobs cut into 3-4 pieces

2 cups heavy cream

1 vanilla bean

15 eggs yolks

1 1/4 cup sugar

3 cups full fat buttermilk, if you can find it

generous pinch of salt

-combine corn and heavy cream in food processor, quise till chunky. heat with vanilla bean til scalded

-whisk yolks, sugar, and salt til pale and ribbon-y. temper with corny cream. I don't continue to cook, but this is your choice.

-cool a bit, then add buttermilk. allow to sit at least six hours, preferably overnight

-strain and freeze

Peanut Butter and Bacon Blondies

butter/flour a 9x13 pan

350 oven

4 slices of bacon

2 ounces soft butter

8 ounces natural peanut butter

1 1/4 cups brown sugar

generous pinch of salt

2 eggs

1/4 heavy cream

1/2 T vanilla extract

1/2 t baking powder

1/4 t baking soda

1 1/2 c ap flour

-slice bacon into thin strips and render til crispy. drain, cool, and chop fine.

-cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, salt and bacon til smoothe ( it will look kinda gross)

-add eggs, cream and vanilla

-combine dry ingredients and add to mix slowly

-press into prepared pan and bake till poofy and still soft in the middle

-allow to cool before cutting

I know this is off topic, but I couldn't resist:

gallery_8173_3226_10093.jpg

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Thanks so much! If only the low fat buttermilk is available, which I'm afraid is the case, would you sub a bit more cream, or just use it as is? And since you said the bacon didn't come through as much as you'd hoped, do you think leaving some crisps unpureed would be a good thing?

That's 1/4 cup on the blondie heavy cream, right?

Cute shoes, phlawless....I loved your blog!

Can you put these in recipe gullet? I'm out of town and need to find them when I get back...and I am notoriously bad with the search engine ! :raz:

Cute shoes, phlawless....I loved your blog!

Can you put these in recipe gullet? I'm out of town and need to find them when I get back...and I am notoriously bad with the search engine !  :raz:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find Recipe Gullet...help?

Dumb question alert:

1-Fifteen egg yolks?  Really?

2-Are you churning with an ice cream machine at all or just sticking the custard in the freezer?

Thanks for writing this out!

1-Yes, 15...it makes it much smoother and richer

2-In one of those Cuisinart freezers

One more question- is Maple View Farms buttermilk full-fat? If not, what brand did you use for this recipe?

Love, the shoes, by the way....  :biggrin:

Maple View is indeed full fat

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Thank you very much for sharing these, phlawless! I loved your blog and am eager to try these recipes.

Coincidentally I have Karen Barker's "Sweet Stuff" cookbook out of the library now and have also been enjoying looking through it.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hooray!

I second the question - what to do if the only available buttermilk is 2%fat? QS to full volume using sour cream?

Hubba hubba on those shoes, oh my!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

3 ears silver queen corn, scraped, milked and cobs cut into 3-4 pieces

2 cups heavy cream

1 vanilla bean

15 eggs yolks

1 1/4 cup sugar

3 cups full fat buttermilk, if you can find it

generous pinch of salt

-combine corn and heavy cream in food processor, quise till chunky. heat with vanilla bean til scalded

-whisk yolks, sugar, and salt til pale and ribbon-y. temper with corny cream. I don't continue to cook, but this is your choice.

-cool a bit, then add buttermilk. allow to sit at least six hours, preferably overnight

-strain and freeze

Am I wrong to conclude that this recipe may be unsafe for consumption for certain people since the egg custard isnt coooked to sterilize and there are no instructions for rapid cooling before refrigeration.

Warm uncooled IC custards should not simply be refrigerated but must be force cooled in Ice baths especially with 15 egg yolks involved.

This is weird: I generally don't click on headings that are recipe-related, but something drew me to this one ...

Who's the designer? Of the blondies, of course. (Okay, okay, I give! The shoes! )

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This is weird: I generally don't click on headings that are recipe-related, but something drew me to this one ...

Who's the designer?  Of the blondies, of course.  (Okay, okay, I give!  The shoes! )

LOL

AND the blondies !

Is that recipe available?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't find Recipe Gullet...help?[...]

RecipeGullet

Did that help?

yes it did...many thanks.

But do I have to retype the whole thing or can I cut/paste some way that I don't see (idiot, again)?