• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Seattle

^That looks great! We usually get our meat from Don and Joe's. Have you bought anything from there?

It's been about 2.5 weeks since I've been hanging out in Seattle. :smile: I have been eating more vegetables and fruit, since the quality is quite good at Pike Place. (It is definitely better than what I was buying in Richmond. More expensive, though.) We also shop a lot at Metropolitan Market, though that will likely change now that the new Whole Foods has opened. (BTW--Whole Foods charges less for all their wild mushroom varieties than Metropolitan Market, and cheaper than some of the stands at Pike Place as well.)

One other difference I've noted is that the eggs (particularly the yolks) do not have much taste here compared to the Born Free Omega-3 eggs I was getting from Costco in Canada. I've been buying Omega-3 eggs from Metropolitan Market, and the yolks are pale and lack richness. The free-range eggs at Pike Place are a bit better, but still no comparison to the (rather ordinary!) eggs I was buying from Costco.

Also, the milk and cream also seem to lack flavour. Sometimes I accidentally buy the ultra-pasteurized stuff, but I made certain this week to get the regular pasteurized cream and it is still lacking a bit of that sweetness that I associate with milk and cream.

Other than that, the quality of the produce, bread (of course!) meat, and fish seem to be better than what I could buy in Richmond, so we are eating quite well! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I like the jidori no tamago at the Seattle location of Uwajimaya... I'm not really sure whether those eggs have any English labeling, but they're about as rich of a yolk as I've ever seen, including in Japan, where deep orange yolks are much more ordinary than in North America.

The label should read something like: 地鶏のたまご . They're pretty expensive (about $4.70/dozen) but they make the best poached eggs.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

For eggs, the best are at the farmers markets. My favorites are from Stoney Plains. The mostly sell produce, but their fresh eggs are amazing with a deep yellow, sometimes even orange yolk and a dense white. $4 a dozen.

You really notice the difference with farm fresh eggs when you poach them -- these hold together, while the whites from store bought eggs go all over the place. Grocery store eggs, I've heard, are often several months old. (Yuck!)

There was a new vendor at the U-District market today selling duck eggs, which were unfortunately sold out by the time I got there. Sea Breeze Farm, from Vashon. They're mostly a dairy, with milk, cream, ricotta and creme fraiche, but also wines and eggs. It was nice to see some new stuff, because a lot of the summer vendors were gone this week.

Lorna, try the Organic Valley dairy products. The cultured unsalted butter is my favorite, and the heavy whipping cream is sweet and delicious.

And if you haven't yet found it - this goes for you too, Shal - you need to get Fage Total Greek yogurt at TJ's. The 0% fat is unbelievably delicious.

Interesting about the dairy products. I wonder if the locally produced stuff, like Smith Brothers or Faith dairy (for cream-I get it at PCC) would be better? (Or, maybe that is what you were buying). Maybe the folks at the dairy store behind Jack's Fish Spot in the Market can give advice.

There was a new vendor at the U-District market today selling duck eggs, which were unfortunately sold out by the time I got there. Sea Breeze Farm, from Vashon. 

Ling, if you are into eggs, you GOTTA try the duck eggs from Sea Breeze Farm. They are (gasp!) $8 a dozen, but good god they are fabulous. Rich, huge orange yolks. The last dozen I bought were so big the carton wouldn't close. Fry 'em up in a bit of duck fat and drizzle them with white truffle oil :wub:

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

We also shop a lot at Metropolitan Market, though that will likely change now that the new Whole Foods has opened.

:blink:

Are we talking about the Cascade store?!

Yes, the Cascade WF opened last Wednesday. Ling, have you been using the Met Market on the top of Queen Anne - or the new one in the old Larry's Market?

I usually go to the Met Market that's the old Larry's. I checked all their creams last week and they only sell ultra-pasteurized stuff. (BTW--we bought a discounted bottle of wine there as I needed something cheap for beef bourguinon and it was corked. :wacko: )

Thanks for the tips about the duck eggs. $8 is a little pricey, but I'm gonna have to try them at least once!

Abra--I bought Organic Valley two weeks ago, but I used the entire liter for caramel and chocolate mousse (with lots of butter added) so I couldn't taste the flavour of the cream that well. I'll get some more this week.

Thanks again, everyone!

Is that the Darigold brand? I have that in my fridge right now. That seems to be what the restaurants use too.

I had a good time at the U-District market today and came away with some duck eggs, some farm fresh chicken eggs, and an almond croissant from Belle Epicurean for breakfast. Their plain croissant was also very good.

Also sampled a ton of different organic apples from the different vendors, though I can't say I was very impressed with them. Some were mealy, and most were rather thin in flavour and kind of flat tasting...even the organic Honeycrisps were not nearly as good as the regular ones I get at Pike Place. The tastiest sample was the French prune from Anderson Farms.

And FYI--they still have heirloom tomatoes, including Brandywine.

Edited by Ling (log)

• 2 weeks later...