• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Seattle

Shalmanese, there is something to bear in mind about Amazon and your impending move to our fair city. Amazon is based here in Seattle, and any purchases you make from them that are shipped into the state will incur 8.2% Washington state sales tax. So that ordinarily, the prices may seem better on Amazon, but since you will pay state sales tax, sometimes it can be cheaper to buy at a local bricks and mortar store, although you will pay the same sales tax there.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

You can buy basic kitchen stuff at IKEA for really cheap, but it's a bit of a trek from the U-district if you don't have a car. Cast iron pans can also be purchased from REI (REI.com) or from second hand stores. Pike Place has a cutlery store that sells nice knives like Global. I have some extra drinking glasses and such, PM me when you get to town. Good luck.

-Moose

In addition to places like Value Village and Goodwill (plenty of glassware and cast-iron, the occassional fish poacher, etc.) the U-district has Hardwicks. You gotta go. Still a swap shop - they have an online presence here (this isn't the swap stuff):

too cool

Abra, quick question: Have you ever tasted the water in Perth or Adelaide or any other place with horrible water? I know the water is safe, I'm wondering if it tastes good. In Australia, Melbourne water is so good they bottle it and sell it across the country. Adelaide water is so horrible it smells like a fetid swamp and is undrinkable.

PS: I am a guy.

^The tap water in Seattle is disgusting. I had to drink some once because I was dying of thirst and we were out of Pellegrino...I had to plug my nose to get the tap water down my throat.

I haven't had tap water in many places, so I don't know how it compares. I haven't drank tap water in many, many years up here in Vancouver either, but I don't remember it tasting very good.

The tap water here is Seattle is horrible. Of course it is safe to drink - it just smells and tastes of bleach or whatever treatment chemicals they use. I couldn't live without my Brita filter.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Just to put in a contrary opinion, I find the water here in seattle excellent, except in the summer, when they get a nasty algae bloom in the reservoir lake up in the mountains, and because they treat it, the water tastes & smells off for a month or two. That said, I use a Brita filter for my kitchen tap because the pipes in my upstairs are elderly & give off a lot of rust. Downstairs we drink it straight.

And in case you're wondering, yes I'm fussy about my water. I remember when I was little if we were visiting friends in San Jose I would ask my mom to bring water with us from Berkeley :laugh:

The negative responses above really make me wonder if there's some variation by neighborhood. I've never noticed a problem at any friends houses, but if their water was funky they'd probably filter it & I just wouldn't have paid attention...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Wow, gonna have to agree with Eden here. Since when does being a foodie translate into being a tap water snob?! :wink:

People like what they're used to, and tap water is definitely of those things. You move to a new place, the water is going to taste weird. It's going to taste different from what you're used to, as much to do with the municipality as the pipes in your house or apartment. My house was built in 1908, so I expect the pipes are a little rusty. But on a hot day, nothing beats drinking nice aerated water straight out of the tap in the kitchen. But it's what I'm used to, and I've got a Brita for when I need to make coffee or ice cubes or impress company.

The Seattle water supply comes from protected surface water sources in the Cedar River watershed. It is essentially melted snow. Being surface water, it has a very low mineral content. From tests that have been done, it is considered one of the better-tasting municipal water supplies in the country.

Issues of taste and clarity can vary somewhat by season. As an example, during fall storms, leaves, fir needles and other organic debris can fall into the lake sources in the watershed or in the open reservoirs located in various areas around the city. This can cause a particular taste that cannot necessarily be filtered out at the water treatment plant.

Other issues regarding metallic taste or particulates is usually a function of the plumbing (municipal or individual house) that brings the water to the tap. When I lived on Vashon on a well, the iron content of the water was so high that it was a pale tan color and tasted of rust. Seattle tap water is much better.

I live north of the city in the Everett water supply, and it is even better than Seattle due to more modern plumbing in the municipal water supply trunks. Everett, too uses surface water sources from a watershed up in the mountains.

PS: Edited for age-related memory loss

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

The Seattle water supply comes from protected surface water sources in the Green River watershed. 

I thought the Seattle water came from the Cedar River watershed. No? I have a friend that used to work there and I could have sworn that's what he told me. But, I have a notoriously bad memory :biggrin:

I'm surprised to hear that folks think we have decent tasting water in Seattle. Am I the only one who can smell that chlorine-y smell? I can smell it even when the glass sitting on the table. I don't think of myself as a snob about many things, but the smell and taste of unfiltered Seattle water is a deal breaker for me!

By the way, I am born and raised here so it's not that I'm noting differences from what I'm used to.

I'm in agreement with LEdlund here, it's not the quality (read clean vs polluted) that's a problem with Seattle water, it's that horrid chlorine smell/taste. I have a very large, Costco-purchased, filterer which seems to get rid of the chlorine so I don't need to purchase bottled water at home.

I do love San Pellegrino or other sparkling water when I'm out.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

At certain times of the year, they have to add more or less chlorine due to the amount of organic material in the watersources. Those of you in Seattle have read of the recent algae blooms such as red tide. In warm weather such as this, algae and other micro-organisms flourish in the water supply and must be eliminated by chlorine and other means of disinfecting the water supply. Seattle, and other water supply entities, prefer to keep the use of chlorine to a minimum, using other methods instead. But when you have a big bolus of water disinfecting to do, chlorine is easy, cheap and effective. It is often used as a supplemental method for situations such as algae bloom.

The alternative is risking killing your customers, as occurred in Milwaukee in 1993, when the water supply was contaminated by cryptosporidium, resulting in over 100 deaths and 400,000 cases of serious illnesses.

Pouring the water into a glass or pitcher and allowing it to outgas for an hour or two will usually reduce or eliminate the chlorine odor and taste.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...
Heh, I was in Pittsburgh as well checking out CMU and whenever I asked them about the food scene in Pittsburgh, there was inevitably a grimace. It's part of the reason what pushed me towards UDub in the first place.

Pittsburgh food is obviously not the best, but I still get a hankering for Mad Mex nachos and a Primanti brothers sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got into Seattle. Staying at the Eighth Avenue Inn just north of downtown, near the tower. Going to be looking for a house and settling in over the next week. I'll keep this thread updated about how I go.

Any reccomendations for some decent, not-to-expensive food around this area?

If anybody wants to catch up, PM me.

Just got into Seattle. Staying at the Eighth Avenue Inn just north of downtown, near the tower. Going to be looking for a house and settling in over the next week. I'll keep this thread updated about how I go.

Any reccomendations for some decent, not-to-expensive food around this area?

If anybody wants to catch up, PM me.

Welcome to Seattle! A few of these are a bit of a walk, but worth it if you have the time. Its a good way to see downtown a bit. Probably a good idea to call to check if places are open today.

Baguette Box (1203 Pine St)

Green Leaf Vietnamese(418 8th Ave S)

El Puerco Lloron (1501 Western Ave)

De Laurenti's (1435 1st. Ave)

Black Bottle (2600 First Ave)

These are all that come to mind now. Good luck house hunting.

near the tower

Do you mean the Space Needle? Terminology of places in Seattle separate the tourists from the locals (however briefly.) You could take the day off and hit the last day of Bumbershoot at the Seattle Center. Just don't eat there (well, there are some booths that might be okay.)

Keep an eye out for happy hour dining - this can be early evening or close to closing at lots of places. Just watch out - the drinks really add up.

Welcome - and happy hunting.

I just noticed the 8th Avenue Inn for the first time a couple of days ago. There's a decent burger place near there called Blue Moon Burgers. And I rockdoggydog and Mr Ledlund and I had a good lunch at Conor Byrne's yesterday.

Got the room! Moving in on Sunday. I'm really starting to fall in love with the neighbourhood. Theres a funky bookstore, I'm literally right on the busline to UW and theres plenty of good food stores. The fruit market is a bit run down and run by hippies and the quality is a bit variable but it has a lot of charecter. Theres a QFC 2 blocks from the house as well and it seems reasonably well stocked and clean. The whole foods actually seems surprisingly reasonable pricewise compared to the other two and the quality is exceptional if slightly plasticky.

None of the other people I'm sharing with are big cooks so I basically have the kitchen to myself. Theres a gas stove so I should be set. Slightly less prep space than I'm used but I guess I'll have to adapt. Look out for some good food pics to be coming up soon!

Welcome to the neighborhood!! I know the fruit stand you speak of and have driven by almost daily for several years but have never stopped by!! I always say - I should stop there! LOL!

You are in a great neighborhood and very close to Greenlake which is good for walking around, exercise and I have to say I am a fan of Rosita's which is very close to you.

. I am sure you will love living here and if you need anything.......well, you have a whole slew of folks ready to jump in and lend a hand.