• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lee's Hawaiian Islander

Jason Perlow

768 Stuyvesant Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ

So, for lack of a better description, I didn’t get enough umbrella drinks and expertly prepared bad American Chinese food this week, so Sunday night we went to North Jersey’s other Polynesian throwback, Lee’s Hawaiian Islander in Lyndhurst.

gallery_2_3209_7045.jpg

Lee’s is a huge orange painted building with no windows that dates back 30 years.

gallery_2_3209_23903.jpg

The Tiki Bar.

gallery_2_3209_19364.jpg

The cavernous main dining area.

gallery_2_3209_24786.jpg

The ceilings at Lee’s are at least 18 feet tall, probably closer to 20. A Polynesian outrigger boat filled with fake Hawaiian orchids and stuffed exotic birds is suspended from the ceiling.

gallery_2_3209_40008.jpg

gallery_2_3209_51561.jpg

The drink menu. Unlike other Polynesian restaurants I have visited previously, these drinks defy description. I guess they are so classic that everyone should know what they are and what’s mixed in them, but you could always ask.

gallery_2_3209_55944.jpg

gallery_2_3209_33981.jpg

A Mai Tai (left) and a Zombie (right). The Zombie appears to differ from the Mai Tai in that it has probably 4x the amount of alcohol in it.

gallery_2_3209_86483.jpg

gallery_2_3209_29170.jpg

Zombie closeup.

gallery_2_3209_77828.jpg

Pu-Pu Platter, the classic.

gallery_2_3209_8358.jpg

gallery_2_3209_53813.jpg

Sweet and Sour Pork. Yeah, I know, so sue me.

gallery_2_3209_32027.jpg

Young Chow Fried Rice

gallery_2_3209_49183.jpg

Along with Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, Egg Foo Young is also a benchmark Chinese-Am dish for me, so I order it at pretty much every place I visit that specializes in that type of food. Lee’s is excellent — the gravy doesn’t taste like uncooked flour or overly grease laden and the egg patties are perfectly cooked.

gallery_2_3209_9221.jpg

Zombie after-effects.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Rutherford is not Lyndhurst!

Must be another of those zombie after-effects. :cool:

(Which is something you couldn't get in Rutherford, of course.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks, I've fixed it. Beleive me it was a REALLY strong drink. If I had finished it I wouldn't have been able to drive us home.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

We went there a few months back (I think it's in the chinese food or c46 thread?) we had the pupu (bit greasy but good for our needs) platter. My friends and I enjoyed the Karaoke night.

They have Karaoke (sic?) on Friday & Saturday nights and some folks are REAL pro's... amazing if you close your eyes you hear Tony Bennett, Sinatra or Elvis!

The drinks are amazing too! LOL - also the food was "typical" polynesian or mild chinese but tasty enough as well. I would not classify it as high cuisine but it's cute and fun and the wall fountains "throwing up water" are interesting to watch as well - they were functioning when we were there. (See Jason's pictures!) The more you drink the more they seem to talk to you! ROFL. ENJOY! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Oh thank you for a hilarious flashback Jason! :biggrin:

Chris & I used a "buy one entree, get one free" coupon from the Entertainment Book for Lee's about 3-4 years ago and had the same opinion- good, strong drinks and bad, american chinese food. I found the food very greasy, and the pu pu platter was a total gut-bomber (I suppose this is standard though). Even though the drinks were good, and I have a coupon every year from the Entertainment Book, I just can't see going back again.

I actually liked the Fried Rice and the Egg Foo Young. The Sweet and Sour pork I enjoyed as well, but it was VERY sweet, although accurately and correctly prepared.

The Pu-Pu Platter was fun, but I agree, a gut bomber. I particularly liked the Hawaiian Beef part. If you can order that separate I probably will the next time around.