• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini flowers

Anyone have a line on a market or stand that sells them? These are normally procured from a garden but this year is an exception and I find myself looking for these from a secondary source such as a market or stand. Anyone know a place that sells them or at least zucchini with the blossoms attached?

I usually stuff them w/ high quality ricotta(bufala if possible) and finely diced panchetta or very good prosciutto. Then tempura battered and lightly fried.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

The De Piero farm in Montvale (last exit in NJ off the Garden State Parkway) usually has them. I've seen them in past years but haven't been there recently so can't offer any guarantees. Not the same, but they've also sold edible flowers too (like pansies and what not). If they have them, it'll be on the right side of the store (when you walk in) where the veg/fruit are, but all the way in the back before you get to the greenhouse. I bet you could give them a call to ask. Good luck!

The Staten Island Farmer's Market has them - 20 cents each. Bought 15 Saturday and stuffed them with two mixtures - spices turkey sausage and ground pork coated with Pecorino.

Will try the Chanterelle stuffing mixture in a few weeks - lobster and shrimp quenelle. The crowd I had this weekend wouldn't have enjoyed that.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The De Piero farm in Montvale (last exit in NJ off the Garden State Parkway) usually has them. I've seen them in past years but haven't been there recently so can't offer any guarantees. Not the same, but they've also sold edible flowers too (like pansies and what not).  If they have them, it'll be on the right side of the store (when you walk in) where the veg/fruit are, but all the way in the back before you get to the greenhouse. I bet you could give them a call to ask. Good luck!

Thanks! Since De Piero is by far and away the closest place mentioned here I found that they do have them. Much appreciated.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

I've been getting a flowers on my zucchini plants, but the plants really aren't mature enough to support growing fruit, so I've been picking and discarding them. Jason thinks this is horrible, because they can be eaten. But, I didn't like them chopped up in a Caprese salad. There are only a 2 or 3 blooms at a time, not really enough to stuff and fry. Can they be saved in the fridge for a few days until I accumulate enough of them to do something with? Any other suggestions? Can they be eaten raw in a salad?

Take out the pistil in the middle. I don't like them as much raw as I do fried but they can be eaten both ways. If they are picked they'd last 1 or 2 days the most.